It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:47 am
Change font size

Staff Announcements

Hiring

Game related announcements from the staff, including RPTs, general plot information, etc...

Moderator: Elder Staff

Hiring

Postby Nimrod » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:42 pm

We will be taking applications for new staff members until April 10.

As a new member of staff, you will begin your journey as a builder and be given the opportunity to rise in the ranks to role play administration if you show initiative and ability. We are seeking individuals who are willing to commit for at least a full year and have the ability to commit a minimum of seven hours per week to staff duties.

Applicants should submit the following descriptions.

Room (a rolling field bordering a dark wood to the west)
Object (an orcish flag of war)
Mobile (an average citizen of Laketown male or female)

Each description should contain a short description (3 to 7 words), a long description (5 to 10 words) and a full description (4 to 8 lines).

Example:
sdesc: a black flag with a red handprint
ldesc: A black flag with a red handprint rests on the ground.
fdesc: (4 to 8 lines, you know the drill)

Also include how long you've been playing SoI, important characters you have played, and any experience you may have with building or administering.

As a newly-minted member of staff you will have to be willing to be a self-starter and be able to work on your own to learn the extensive library of commands that are available to you. You will begin in the trenches, describing rooms, objects and mobiles as directed by other members of staff. In short, you will be working on some fairly unexciting things for the first two months, or more. You will be expected to document your work, just like every other member of staff, and you will be judged upon your activity level, ability to figure things out on your own and quality of work. Of course we won't leave you to sink or swim entirely on your own. There will be other members of staff around to help point you in the right direction should you have any questions, but you will be expected to try to figure things out on your own before asking for help.

As a Building Recruit, you can expect to be in the trenches for at least two months. Your duties as a builder will broaden as quickly as you are able to show initiative and ability. A positive, can-do, attitude is essential for the successful recruit.

Upon successful completion of your Builder Recruit phase, you will be given the opportunity to apply for additional duties such as crafting, prog-writing, RPA, etc... All staff members are builders first, so it's important to have a good base from which to work. I never ask anyone to do anything that I do not already do myself. (As I said, every member of staff is a builder first.)

The most important thing is consistency. If you're going to be a weekend builder, make sure you log in every weekend and do something and document it. If you want to be a player-port admin, make sure you're able to log in at least 5 days a week, for an hour or more each time and document what you've done.

Lastly, we're not looking for people that are going to spend incredible amounts of time building for a few months and then just disappear. We want you to become part of the long-term team.

So... consider your application carefully. We're asking for people to volunteer to do actual 'work', take direction and put in the labor required to get where we want to be. If you're thinking it's all going to be fun and games, I urge you to not apply. (We do have a lot of fun though.) If you can't take direction, don't apply. I'm asking for seven hours a week. That's not seven hours of trolling the forums, that's seven hours of actual work on the builder port. (To put that in perspective, seven hours of work is building 28 quality rooms, descriptions included).

To apply, open a ticket at www.middle-earth.us/support - choose the Volunteer heading for your ticket. Consider the support ticket your CV or resume with a short cover letter. Someone will respond back to you that we've received your application within a day or two and I will personally let you know the final decision sometime after May 1.

Thanks,

Nimrod
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Return to Staff Announcements

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login