It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:53 pm
Change font size

Staff Queries

server down?

Official answers to official questions. Pose your questions for staff here. Careful! You cannot edit or delete your posts once you've asked your question!

Moderator: Elder Staff

server down?

Postby seenmycorpseanywhere » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:57 am

connection closed some 20 hours ago, and haven't been able to connect again. Is the mud down?
seenmycorpseanywhere
Verified Member

Re: server down?

Postby Rishte » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:42 pm

Support Tickets via the Wiki immediately go to our emails. Forum posts do not. Looks like we crashed and its hanging. Hold tight.
Rishte
The Shadow

Re: server down?

Postby Nimrod » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:07 am

I got it back up and running around 9:00 PM CDT last night. We've been up and running for 9 hours 41 minutes at post time.

It looks like it was a random issue with memory corruption (the bane of my existence) possibly brought on by the "evaluate torch" command. I fixed the underlying issue with 'eval torch' (I have no idea how this EVER worked in the past with the reference to $o passed to act() without an actual object specified. The problem now is that the memory corruption was likely written to the save files, and once it's written there, the only way to fix it is manually.

Unfortunately I could not immediately locate the issue in the save files. Usually it's as simple as a few searches with grep, to find out if some key words exist in each file, or if any non-ascii characters exist in the files. Alas, all appeared good in the files with my initial searches, so rather than leave the game down for an extended period of time, I just reverted the save files back 2 days (or so) and started the server.

Apologies to anyone who is missing an item or two due to this, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

I'm working on the bad save files on the test server to try to locate the issue, but since I don't do this full time, it'll likely be a few days before I have an answer.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Return to Staff Queries

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login