It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:27 am
Change font size

Staff Queries

Playing a slave.

Official answers to official questions. Pose your questions for staff here. Careful! You cannot edit or delete your posts once you've asked your question!

Moderator: Elder Staff

Playing a slave.

Postby Tiurabo » Sat May 24, 2014 7:19 pm

Due to a little discussion in the Lounge, I am now curious as to whether it would be possible to play a human slave in the orc sphere. The backstory is wide open to any role that isn't a big badass warrior, and it fits with the canon given that orcs are known to carry off live prisoners as slaves. Maybe a crofter or townsman apprentice, captured in a raid.

This isn't an idle question, as I would be very interested to see this role through to its logical conclusions. It's not something that I would toy with for a few days before suiciding on a guard or anything. If it becomes necessary, I can always get with a couple orc players and effect an escape (not unheard of for slaves to run off after all). Or I can die a horrible mutilated death at the hands of my inhuman masters.

If there's a code problem, that's cool. I'm not going to ask you to break it loose just for me. But as far as I can tell, all it would require is for y'all to commence me in the 'wrong' spot and trust me to stick to my RP. Which I would.

Because this sounds really fun. And I really wanna do it. Please?

:nom:
Tiurabo
Verified Member

Re: Playing a slave.

Postby Holmes » Sat May 24, 2014 7:23 pm

This is probably not going to be something we support during Alpha, generally speaking.
Holmes
Elf Recruit

Postby Nimrod » Sat May 24, 2014 8:39 pm

Tiurabo wrote:Due to a little discussion in the Lounge, I am now curious as to whether it would be possible to play a human slave in the orc sphere.

We have discussed this very thing amongst Elder Staff. Although we won't directly forbid a human to enter the orc caverns, you should know that we don't encourage it at all and that we make no promises to anyone that your character won't be summarily executed by players or npcs for no other reason than the character is human.

I highly recommend you direct your efforts elsewhere as any work you do on the character will likely be snuffed out rather quickly.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Icarus » Sat May 24, 2014 9:34 pm

This will not be allowed during alpha.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Nimrod » Sun May 25, 2014 1:18 am

Icarus wrote:This will not be allowed during alpha.

lol... Icarus is so subtle. :lol:
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Khamul » Sun May 25, 2014 3:44 am

If the song about goblin-town sung to Thorin and Co. is much of an indication, even if it were it no longer Alpha, I would suspect that slaves don't tend to be especially long-lived or actually get to do anything but eat, sleep, work, and bleed. I'm not certain that would be especially interesting, especially since they're probably not going to let you make something that could ruin their lives if you deliberately mess it up... that is to say, you pump the bellows, you don't forge weapons. No orc would submit themselves to human healing, anyway, because their methods are for the weak. It seems to me that the role would be exceptionally limited... which, yes, is a stark difference from the slavery done by the Haradrim in previous incarnations, but, of course, that's because these are orcs. :evil:
Khamul
Roleplay Admin

Return to Staff Queries

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login