It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:27 pm
Change font size

Out of Character Chatter

If you feel unwelcome in the game, as yourself

Want to hang out and have a friendly, off-topic discussion with your fellow players and the staff? This is the place to do it.

Moderator: Elder Staff

If you feel unwelcome in the game, as yourself

Postby jimhabegger » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:29 pm

(edited to address some ways this post might possibly be misunderstood)
1. I personally have felt very welcome in the forums. As far as the game is concerned, I haven't even started playing yet!
2. In suggesting that some people might feel unwelcome, stigmatized or marginalized, I don't mean that anyone is intentionally treating them that way, and I'm not posting this to reproach anyone. This is addressed strictly to anyone who might be feeling that way, inviting them to help me learn to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem.
(end edit)

Not only gays, but many others who are widely stigmatized and marginalized in the dominant culture, might not feel welcome here, as themselves. That might also include people with conservative religious views. I don't see any way for that to change, and in that case I'm wondering whether it's right for me to be playing at all. I think, in order to resolve these issues for myself, I need to discuss them privately with people who feel that way. Anyone who doesn't feel welcome here, as yourself, please PM me if you'd like to help me with this.

That includes anyone who feels marginalized by what I said, in another thread, about people using the game as a chat room, or for phone sex, or even just because it has the best combination of game features he could find.

(edited to add this note)
This invitation is to anyone who feels unwelcome, stigmatized or marginalized; in the game, or in the forum, or by me, including anyone who feels targeted by what I said about behavior that breaks the spell for me.
Last edited by jimhabegger on Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Re: If you feel unwelcome in the game, as yourself

Postby Icarus » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:43 pm

Everyone is welcome at SOI, regardless.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby jimhabegger » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:52 pm

In case anyone's wondering, I personally have been feeling very welcome here! :D
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby OOTW » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:52 pm

Felt welcome on the forums, though I haven't said much. But not so much in-game. Oh well, I'ma wall flower for now
OOTW
Verified Member

Postby jimhabegger » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:18 am

OOTW, thanks for posting!

If you'd like to help me learn to be part of the solution, rather than part of the problem, I would welcome a PM from you.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby radioactivejesus » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:42 am

jimhabegger wrote:In case anyone's wondering, I personally have been feeling very welcome here! :D

that's good. Now hurry up and make a character lol!
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Return to Out of Character Chatter

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login