It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:38 am
Change font size

Out of Character Chatter

Volunteering and community service interests

Want to hang out and have a friendly, off-topic discussion with your fellow players and the staff? This is the place to do it.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Volunteering and community service interests

Postby jimhabegger » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:08 pm

This is meant to be another "get acquainted" thread, like "Behind the username."

What kinds of volunteering and community service interest you, have interested you in the past, or might interest you in the future, whether you've done them or not?

Some of my interests, past, present and future:
- A food bank.
- Research in water resources, and in water purification for industrial purposes.
- Youth outreach.
- Cleaning up trash by a river.
- Social and cultural activities in my neighborhood.
- Tutoring and mentoring children and youth.
- Walking and working with the most stigmatized and marginalized people I see around me.
- Learning what I can do to help with community building in the world's most ravaged communities, near and far.
- Practicing and promoting fellowship across ideological divides.
- Participating in initiatives to dispel stereotypes and prejudices of all kinds.
- Helping my wife prepare for the English classes she's teaching.
- Initiatives to help restore a population of sea turtles.
(ETA)
- Landscaping work in a public park.
- Training and character development of children, including my own.

(ETA)
1. This could also include service activities of schools, churches, associations and clubs, like publishing a yearbook or organizing a reunion.
2. It could also be work that you've done for an income, if it interests you as a community service.
3. Edited to change "edited to add ..." to "ETA"
Last edited by jimhabegger on Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Re: Volunteering and community service interests

Postby Hawkwind » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:40 pm

I am actually pondering doing this or enlist in the Armed Forces. Advice on the former would be welcome.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Rivean » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:14 pm

The wife and I did some community work with the non-denominational Christian church when we were in Korea. We fell together because they were the only English speaking people we knew, more or less.

Most vividly, I remember going out on a 10 below freezing morning with everybody else to deliver giant bundles of coal to an underprivileged home so that they had heating for the winter. It was nice, but my toes threatened to fall off at some point.

Otherwise, we may have done a few smaller things with the same people, possibly something to do with a deaf school, don't recall.

Yes, we were the resident atheists at church.

P.S. Jim, online forum convention is usually just to use 'ETA:' (which is short for 'Edited To Add') for when you edit. Of course, you can do it whichever way makes you happy.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby jimhabegger » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:36 pm

Rivean, that reminds me of "Good King Winceslas."

"... Bring me pine logs hither."

"... forth they went together, against the cold wind's wild lament, and the bitter we-ea-ther."
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Stoneturtle » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:24 am

I'm old so this is long...

-Fostered children for 8 years
-Fostered I don't know how many Setter dogs (mostly English Setters) for Setter Rescue organizations. Couple dozen I guess.
-Did free website development/maintenance for: Dog rescue organizations, U.S. Martial Arts Team, St. Louis Metro USAFA Parents' Club, ECTA International (a group I came into contact with because one of the founders played SoI!)
-Board Member U.S. Martial Arts Team 2005-2006
-Board Member Another Chance for English Setters

Always was doing Mom stuff - Cub Scout Pack Officer, Little League scorekeeper, Basketball scorekeeper/statistician, Girl Scout Troop computer/records work, Karate clubs computer/records keeper/database development, Vacation Bible School treasurer, same stuff everyone does who has kids.

One project I'm really proud of was collaboration with a young man in India to produce a map of the ... you couldn't call them roads so much...well, the roads between the remote villages in the Himalayas of NE India, though many were nothing more than perilous footpaths. He would travel them with his gps, and send me the information, and I'd plot them on aerial maps. What a job that was! When we got it done, he had them printed over there and gave them to the healthcare providers throughout the region. He told me about one woman, a health worker, weeping as he handed it to her, because nothing of the sort existed for them to get medical help to these remote peoples. That was a good thing.

Future Plans
My husband and I are retiring soon to a farm in the hills of Kentucky where I grew up and have hordes of family members. I want to try to form a co-op with the other old people to grow and preserve healthy foods for us all. I've got a lot of research going on efficient, modern ways to do this. Most of the generation before mine is pretty uneducated or even illiterate, although they are wonderful people and very wise and intelligent, and know how to do everything from building a house from scratch to rebuilding an engine to doctoring and veterinarian work. But they garden/farm the same way people did 100 years ago, which is backbreaking work and hard for old bodies sometimes. I hope to be able to gather people of my generation (and younger) and do things like build raised garden beds so the elderly can pitch in to help with the co-op. I'm barely able to walk because of diabetic nerve damage, so I have had to learn to garden this way myself. The hill people won't accept charity but if they're helping, then they won't mind taking food from the co-op. Maybe they can't grow tomatoes but they can grow beans, you know? And someone else can grow the tomatoes. This is my idea anyway. We can all help each other, and provide more to give out through the church too. Maybe we can have a weekly event at the church to provide a good, homegrown meal, everyone can bring in a little.

I've also been thinking about making an educational website for elementary ages that's based around math and science, that homeschoolers or teachers could use, with experiments and stories and games. But I get a little overwhelmed when I think about it. Menopause has robbed me of a lot of my ability to focus. I might be past my age of being so productive! My daughter talks about doing something like that too, so maybe I'll end up just helping her. She's a big-idea person and I'm the engineer-brain, so we could do something good together that I could never conceive of alone. Very busy kid though.
Stoneturtle
Forum Hobbit

Postby jimhabegger » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:01 am

Wow! Stoneturtle, thank you for that post!
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby EltanimRas » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:15 am

Rivean wrote:Otherwise, we may have done a few smaller things with the same people, possibly something to do with a deaf school, don't recall.

The international talent show was a benefit for that school (the kids all sat together, remember?), but you and I left with more money than we came in with.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby jimhabegger » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:31 am

I'm lovin' it.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Rivean » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:00 am

EltanimRas wrote:
Rivean wrote:Otherwise, we may have done a few smaller things with the same people, possibly something to do with a deaf school, don't recall.

The international talent show was a benefit for that school (the kids all sat together, remember?), but you and I left with more money than we came in with.

Oh, right. I guess we can't count that one!
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby jimhabegger » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:07 am

Eltanim, Rivean,

It counts. See note 2 in the original post.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Rivean » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:12 am

Pfft. It's still cheating. You can't list 'Talent Show, proceeds go to the Deaf School' if your major involvement was winning a prize :P
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Brian » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:21 am

Rivean wrote:Pfft. It's still cheating. You can't list 'Talent Show, proceeds go to the Deaf School' if your major involvement was winning a prize :P

What was your talent might I ask? I'm guessing music related but you never know?
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Hawkwind » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:40 am

Was impressions? I bet it was impressions.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Rivean » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:17 pm

Hawkwind wrote:Was impressions? I bet it was impressions.

Man I am so badass at impressions. Only zhe Germans elude me and that too out sheer laziness.

But I won for this song here, (either second or third place, I forget, probably the latter):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200198060659792
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby jimhabegger » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:08 pm

Stoneturtle, I love that story of making maps for India! I've been trying to think of more ways that any of us can help improve people's lives in the world's most ravaged communities, and one of my thoughts was to provide encouragement and support to people who are there, serving those communities.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Brian » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:10 pm

Rivean wrote:
Hawkwind wrote:Was impressions? I bet it was impressions.

Man I am so badass at impressions. Only zhe Germans elude me and that too out sheer laziness.

But I won for this song here, (either second or third place, I forget, probably the latter):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200198060659792

That hair. Oh yes.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Rivean » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:30 pm

One imagines it makes one look the part, which is a nice bonus.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Stoneturtle » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:47 pm

jimhabegger wrote:Stoneturtle, I love that story of making maps for India! I've been trying to think of more ways that any of us can help improve people's lives in the world's most ravaged communities, and one of my thoughts was to provide encouragement and support to people who are there, serving those communities.

Let me recommend you support ECTA International. This is a group started by three young men who saw a need and did something about it. In fact, one of them is right now soliciting donations by riding a tandem bike with his small son in the mountains, the money to be used to send local Himalayan people to training to learn to be local health-care providers.

This is a place where they tie you to a chair and two men carry you for miles just to get you to a road so you can get transportation to a hospital. Hours and hours. ECTA has been training midwifes and general caregivers so that the villages have local people who can help. They believe in setting up things that are locally sustainable, that don't have to be supported by dependence on outside organizations. It's a good idea!

They've got a fundraising effort going right now to send 5 students from remote villages to med school, to return to their villages and serve the surrounding areas as actual doctors. Check it out!
Stoneturtle
Forum Hobbit

Return to Out of Character Chatter

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login