It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:15 pm
Change font size

Out of Character Chatter

Questions and comments about forum behavior

Want to hang out and have a friendly, off-topic discussion with your fellow players and the staff? This is the place to do it.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Questions and comments about forum behavior

Postby sod » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:29 pm

You could resolve not to play. You could decide to play. In the end, it's your choice to make, and I don't think anyone is going to try forcing you into either (which just won't work). Do what feels right. I will say it's probably premature to form opinions on the player base or staff or game by not just signing on.

As someone who was a newb to someone who could be a newb, not knowing any commands or having a bang on character isn't going to hinder your experience (for long), and people generally go out of their way to help you.

Anyway, either or, I don't think this is a big deal, especially if you have a whole six weeks to think it over.
sod
Forum Hobbit

Postby EltanimRas » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:38 pm

jimhabegger wrote:I'm talking about Hazgarn's post, trying to use Icarus's post to intimidate me.

While both of these people can, of course, speak for themselves, I'm pretty sure that (a) Hazgarn was just trying to help you out by identifying Icarus as an admin, in case you hadn't already recognized him as such, and (b) Icarus was offering friendly advice, not giving orders.

As a general rule, when a mud admin decides to give orders, you can tell.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Red » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:42 pm

This is weird.
Red
Forum Hobbit

Postby jimhabegger » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:53 pm

Sod and Eltanim, thank you for those very friendly and helpful posts.

I just added something to a previous post, which I'll repeat here.

I've decided to go ahead and play tonight, if I'm not too pressed for time, getting ready for our trip. If I have time during the trip, or after we come back, I might play a time or two, and then stop playing until I've resolved some more issues with other players.

Every post convinces me more and more, that I have some more issues to resolve with other players before I can play. The post just above is a perfect example. In case anyone's wondering, by "resolved" I don't mean that anyone else has to change. I mean that I need to investigate more what I'll be up against here, and how to respond to it, but to do that I might need to discuss those issues here.

(edited to correct typos)
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby jdidds » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:59 pm

Screw issues, just play and be happy :-) We're a wonderful group of people really.
Code: Select all
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby jimhabegger » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:05 pm

jdidds, thanks for the friendly post! I agree with you, this looks like a wonderful group of people to me.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby jdidds » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:15 pm

jimhabegger wrote:jdidds, thanks for the friendly post! I agree with you, this looks like a wonderful group of people to me.

I just think it seems like you have a lot to offer and I think it would be good for you to hop in and try it out :-) I really think you'll enjoy it here :-)
Code: Select all
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby Brian » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:24 pm

Yes, ultimately it's a game; if you enjoy it, if it fills your leisure time with pleasurable experience, then continue. If it doesn't, find greener pastures. Ultimately, you'll find that the game itself is very different from the forums. Nobody will know (unless you tell them) who your character is, and you won't know who they are. It is entirely possible to play the game without even knowing these forums exist or associating with them. The stuff that goes on here is something that some players that enjoy these types of communities do; it isn't for everyone (it isn't for me sometimes) but it isn't at all required.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Hawkwind » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:36 pm

I'm fairly sure that this is an experiment in social studies. Nobody behaves like this.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby sod » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:42 pm

After some thought, I don't think that's at all what's happening here.
sod
Forum Hobbit

Postby Matt » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:02 pm

Red wrote:This is weird.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby toofast » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:09 pm

I vote for jimhabegger to be the new leader of the superfriends.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby bjg2k1us » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:55 pm

This is less complex than you guys are making it.

Jim is a minister, this forum is his new wayward flock that needs enlightening, and he's on the fast track to martyrdom judging by the cries of 'intimidation and badgering'.

I am most interested to see what becomes of the claim that 'if my forum persona won't be well-accepted, neither will my PC'. Are we in for a Prophet of Eru, spreading the light of His son Manwe to the heathen masses of Utterby?

bjg2k1us
Dwarf Recruit

Postby sod » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:03 pm

Beam me up, Scotty.
sod
Forum Hobbit

Postby Hawkwind » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:52 pm

bjg2k1us wrote:This is less complex than you guys are making it.

Jim is a minister, this forum is his new wayward flock that needs enlightening, and he's on the fast track to martyrdom judging by the cries of 'intimidation and badgering'.

I am most interested to see what becomes of the claim that 'if my forum persona won't be well-accepted, neither will my PC'. Are we in for a Prophet of Eru, spreading the light of His son Manwe to the heathen masses of Utterby?

JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Hazgarn » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:21 pm

jimhabegger wrote:I'm talking about Hazgarn's post, trying to use Icarus's post to intimidate me.

Hazgarn was trying to use Icarus's post to encourage you to play.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby jimhabegger » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:52 pm

Sorry, I drifted off topic. I meant for this to be a thread where people could post about their personal issues with me, and we could discuss them, if anyone wanted to, so we wouldn't be dragging other discussions off topic.

ETA:
It seems clear to me that some people do have some personal issues with me. I have some vague ideas about what in my behavior could be arousing the animosity that I'm seeing now, but it's still a long way from being clear to me. Anyone who has any ideas about it is welcome to post them here.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby jimhabegger » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:29 pm

Okay, I'm starting to get it sorted out, now. The recent eruption of hostility might be a reaction to some unfriendly remarks I made about some other people. Some other issues people have with me might be reactions to my reactions to other people's issues with me. I apologize for the unfriendly remarks, and as far as I'm concerned there's no need at this point to discuss people's reactions to my reactions to their reactions. I'd like to go back to the beginning, to people's original issues with me, which I see as:
1. Not playing the game.
2. Posting my ideas about some in-game issues, before I started playing the game.

1. I'm not sure, but there might have been a misunderstanding about why I wasn't playing. It looks to me like maybe some people thought it was because of the issues I was discussing, or because of what I thought the game is like. No, it had nothing to do with any of that, although I can see where people might have gotten that idea.

2. If people were thinking that I was wrong to post my ideas about in-game issues before I started playing, or if people were scorning or discounting my ideas simply because I hadn't played yet, without considering them on their own merits, I have issues with that, and that definitely needs to be resolved before I can continue to play.

ETA: I started to go off topic again, talking about my issues with other people. This thread is about other people's issues with me. Then again, maybe it's better to go ahead and discuss my issues here, too.
Last edited by jimhabegger on Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby sod » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:37 pm

Jim, I think the problem is that you're working to solve issues that just don't exist as you see them, or aren't as critical to this community as you put them forward. The only way you're going to know what is critical and the context of how to discuss the issues is if you're participating.

Otherwise, you're trying to put forward stuff that has little relevance to everyone, and they're super confused.

I think you're doing two things. You're trying to get prepared to play a game. You're asking for questions. People are trying to help you with that.

The other thing you're doing is bringing an endeavor to brighten the world through uplifting people and communities to a forum which just isn't about social causes, or about people trying to connect and support one another, not in the way I think you imagine you might be.

The reason I think that is because I searched your name up and found your old Geocities account, and one of the first Google hits is another forum's post about them asking you to stop posting, for other reasons, but a similar format: you're posting a bunch of stuff which doesn't quite fit, as a non-participant, and you're confusing the shit out of people.

Any real life social endeavors that players have here are incidental - the game forums aren't geared towards real life social change. People are here to play a game. People are probably reacting to you as if you're weird because they're not actually sure you are.
sod
Forum Hobbit

Postby jimhabegger » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:42 pm

Good work, sod! You just made my day!

I need to ponder that for a while, before I respond to it.

ETA:
And I might know exactly what forum you're talking about, and for some reason it puts a big happy smile on my face.

Incidentally, I did finally play for a while.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby EltanimRas » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:49 am

jimhabegger wrote:Incidentally, I did finally play for a while.

Was it fun?
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby jimhabegger » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:35 am

Eltanim, just now I posted a report in my newbie thread.

sod,

Part of people's confusion with me might be because I've been very confused myself. For example, I keep forgetting why I started this thread. I started it to respond here to people posting off topic in other threads, about what I'm doing and not doing here.

It looks to me like it mostly revolves around objections to me posting my ideas for improving the community life here, before I played the game. A while ago, while I was pondering how to respond to that, it dawned on me that I've reverted to some bad habits that I had intended to give up. I don't think the issue is really that there was something wrong with posting those ideas before I played the game. I think there's been something disrespectful in my attitude, which I will be trying to correct now.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Previous

Return to Out of Character Chatter

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login