It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:46 pm
Change font size

Out of Character Chatter

Weight Training

Want to hang out and have a friendly, off-topic discussion with your fellow players and the staff? This is the place to do it.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Weight Training

Postby jdidds » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:41 pm

Anyone here who does weight training?

I´ve been doing it for about three years, but I´m really bored with it. I don´t seem to get anywhere despite eating like a horse with all the correct macronutrients. My training schedule is probably what´s letting me down. I do a three split of my own making.

Just looking for some advice, but thought I´d ask first if anyone else does it here, before I go posting all my info.
Code: Select all
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Re: Weight Training

Postby Hawkwind » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:04 pm

Post it. I'm doing Starting Strength again, getting mah army body back even if it kills me.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby jdidds » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:19 pm

Monday:
Benchpress with barbel Bench (8x4) Currently sitting at 75kg.
DB Flyes (incline) (8x3) (2x27.5kg dumbells)
EZ Bicep Curl (8x4) (37.5kg)
DB Bicep Curl Seated (8x3) 2x15kg db´s

Wednesday:
Seated Military Press (slight incline) (8x4) (2x32kg db´s)
Shoulder press (smith machine) (8x3) (45kg)
Skullcrushers (8x4) 37.5kg
Tricep Pushdowns (8x3) not sure what weight I´m doing on this one.

Friday:
Squats (8x3) (85kg)
Standing Calf Raises (8x3) (100kg)
Lying Leg Curl (8x3)
Deadlift (8x3) (60kg. I go easy as I get back problems otherwise)
Pull downs (8x3)
Seated Row (8x3)

It´s really simple, but I like it that way. I hate leaving the gym feeling completely exhausted, or not having enough energy to complete the exercises I have on my list. And I can´t be bothered being there for more than an hour each session

I always do the last set to failure and I lift heavy.

Is this a good routine for getting stronger and/or bulking?
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby BoogtehWoog » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:36 pm

I have been into weightlifting for quite a few years, so let's have at it:

I think first and foremost we need to what you are eating and drinking. I need it down to the gram for fats, carbohydrates, and protein.

Your training schedule could be better as well.

Monday:

Drop one of the bicep workouts
Do squats or deadlifts here.

Wednesday:

Drop the shoulder press and seated military press. Do a strict overhead press.
Drop the pushdowns. Do dips instead. Once you do 8-10 at body weight, add weight.

Friday:

Drop the leg curl.
Drop the pulldowns
Squats and deadlifts on the same is probably too much long-term. For a new person, that's fine, but you are three years into this.
Do either squats or deadlifts. Whatever you did Monday, don't do it today.
Drop the seated row. Do a barbell row.
Add face-pulls.
Do pull-ups or chin-ups. When you can do 8-10, add weight.

Do all of this until you stop seeing progress. Then we'll do 5-3-1.
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby BoogtehWoog » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:38 pm

Hawkwind wrote:Post it. I'm doing Starting Strength again, getting mah army body back even if it kills me.

Sexy! :mrgreen:
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby jdidds » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:41 pm

Wow. Thanks :)

I´m eating around 3500cals a day, divided strictly in to 40%carbs, 40%proteins and 20% fats. I eat very healthily. Exact grams I couldn´t tell you right now. I drink around 3 liters of water a day. Protein supplements and creatine are all included in my calory intake.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby BoogtehWoog » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:43 pm

jdidds wrote:Wow. Thanks :)

I´m eating around 3500cals a day, divided strictly in to 40%carbs, 40%proteins and 20% fats. I eat very healthily. Exact grams I couldn´t tell you right now. I drink around 3 liters of water a day. Protein supplements and creatine are all included in my calory intake.

No problem, pal!

What is your height and weight? Could you also give me the breakdown on your protein sources? Outside of weightlifting, how much activity are you engaged in? And are sure you are consuming around 3500 calories a day? Have you verified this by properly measuring your intake?

Sorry for all the questions, but people can grossly overestimate how many calories they are getting.
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby jdidds » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:47 pm

I´m 192cm and weight around 92kg.

I use myfitnesspal to track all my cals, so it´s as accurate as it can be using the app available at the play store.

I´m pretty active. I work practicality everyday, sometimes it´s stress with lots to do and sometimes it´s totally dead and I sit on my butt for most of my shift. I work as a carer, so some heavy lifting and being a lot on my feet is part of the deal there.

Protein sources. Protein shakes, chicken, eggs (whole), milk and mackerel or tuna make up 90% percent of my intake.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby BoogtehWoog » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:55 pm

I am not familiar with that application. Regardless, I would recommend doing your own calculations to ensure proper intake. Have you been gaining weight lately or maintaining?

Also, have you had a hormone profile completed? I would definitely check your testosterone levels.
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby jdidds » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:00 pm

No, I haven't done that. I was thinking of taking a visit to my doc to see if everything was OK. At the moment, I also have very low sex drive too. Though, I am in my mid thirties, but it should be too late yet. I have seen defined muscle mass and I have gotten a little bigger. I definitely look much better than I did than when I first started. I tend to always hover around 92kg give or take a kilo or two.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby BoogtehWoog » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:03 pm

jdidds wrote:No, I haven't done that. I was thinking of taking a visit to my doc to see if everything was OK. At the moment, I also have very low sex drive too. Though, I am in my mid thirties, but it should be too late yet. I have seen defined muscle mass and I have gotten a little bigger. I definitely look much better than I did than when I first started. I tend to always hover around 92kg give or take a kilo or two.

So did I, but it did not stop me from having low testosterone. So take it from someone that has been there, get it checked out. You will be happy that you did if there is something wrong. There is a night and day difference between what I was capable of before hormone replacement therapy and after.

Also, if you are not gaining any weight, that means you are not consuming enough. So you might want to bump it up 4000 calories; however, be certain that if your activity level decreases, so too does your caloric intake.
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby jdidds » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:11 pm

Thanks for your help man. I really appreciate it. I'll get in the docs do soon as I can.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby OOTW » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:13 pm

Hawkwind wrote:Post it. I'm doing Starting Strength again, getting mah army body back even if it kills me.

:oops:

Have too, darn you military guys!
OOTW
Verified Member

Postby BoogtehWoog » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:15 pm

jdidds wrote:Thanks for your help man. I really appreciate it. I'll get in the docs do soon as I can.

Best of lucky, buddy. I hope you achieve your goals! :)
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby Hawkwind » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:16 pm

Got a utlilikilt I need to rock. ;)
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby OOTW » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:28 pm

Just giving you a hard time Hawk, I don't mess with Military guys, past or present. Dangerous boys they are. Good luck with the strength training though.
OOTW
Verified Member

Postby Hawkwind » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:37 pm

Thanks for the support! And for those who are interested, here is a link to SS, every review I have read of Starting Strength has praised it, it's a simple, straight forward introductory workout designed to get you used to weight lifting, decrease fat, increase muscle! In fact he whole /fit/ wiki seems to be full of good information.

http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby kestrel » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:48 am

MyFitnessPal's macronutrient targets aren't necessarily good ones to go by. It's definitely worth posting them here and seeing what feedback you'd get IMO.
kestrel
Honored Dwarf

Postby jdidds » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:53 am

kestrel wrote:MyFitnessPal's macronutrient targets aren't necessarily good ones to go by. It's definitely worth posting them here and seeing what feedback you'd get IMO.

Yeah, I have often wondered about them. Seems to me that people save nutrient information themselves and it´s readily available to everyone who uses the app. If I´m ever in doubt I double check what´s on the package. I eat pretty much the same every day. I´ll see if I can dig up one of records and post the information here.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby kestrel » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:11 am

Definitely worth doing. I hit a wall for a while and didn't get back on track until I strayed from what MyFitnessPal was recommending. I'm not an expert with any of this stuff, but your situation sounded similar enough to mine for it to seem worth mentioning.

It also may be helpful to mention -when- you're eating what you eat.
kestrel
Honored Dwarf

Postby jdidds » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:26 am

I heard that nutrient timing isn´t as important as most people make it out to be, as long a you´re getting the correct number of macronutrients and spreading them out during the day.

Though, I believe that nutrient timing before and after a workout is very important. Both an ample amount of carbs and proteins an hour or two before and within an hour after you work out.

Like you, though, I don´t know a great deal about building muscle. So I could be and probably am, very wrong.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby BoogtehWoog » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:28 am

Yeah, nutrient timing is definitely greatly exaggerated.
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Return to Out of Character Chatter

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login