It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:22 am
Change font size

Out of Character Chatter

CMUD

Want to hang out and have a friendly, off-topic discussion with your fellow players and the staff? This is the place to do it.

Moderator: Elder Staff

CMUD

Postby jdidds » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:38 am

Anyone have experience with CMUD and could help me with configuring the mapper? I just can't get it to work.

The auto configurater just doens't want to work with me.
Code: Select all
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Re: CMUD

Postby Stoneturtle » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:01 am

Not the answer you wanted, my old friend, sorry...

Even when I get it to work, it's only about 50%. I find it too annoying to bother with, and much too distracting when I should be paying attention to things that can kill me.

My advice - Autolog everything, and then sit down with your logs when you're not in-game and make yourself fantastic Excel maps! :)

I copy the room desc into a comment for each cell, and type an abbreviated rdesc into the cell proper. I can add notes into the comments too. Then it's all searchable when I'm trying to figure out where it was I saw that odd-looking tree or strange standing stone.
Stoneturtle
Forum Hobbit

Postby BoogtehWoog » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:03 am

I remember trying to map Moria with CMUD. That was a real pain. And like Stoneturtle said, it is 50/50. When and why it works is beyond me. :?
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby jdidds » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:22 am

And poof, just like that it works.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby Stoneturtle » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:39 am

It'll double up rooms and add exits and connections that aren't there. You'll see!

;)
Stoneturtle
Forum Hobbit

Postby Brian » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:18 am

I fairly much mastered the CMUD mapper on old SoI. What Stoneturtle says will happen will happen if you start the automapper in a room that you've already mapped in. Here's how to use it:

1) When you're starting a map for the first time and you have no maps on your graph and you're in the first room that you want to map in, type LOOK before moving. This will put that first room on your map with all of it's associated exits.

2) Thereafter you can move about as usual and the map will continue to add rooms with their exits as you go. I only used this on a game that had cardinal directions though; I'm not sure how it will go with multiple exits. IF the graph of exits is correct on the building end and north-east will bring you to the same place as going north and then going east, the exits should link up correctly.

3) Rooms will only be added and the automapper will only advance on the grid by using normal travel commands to progress. If you sneak the automapper will not advance. If you then move normally after sneaking the automapper will add rooms, but they won't actually reflect where you are, and your map will be messed up.

4) If you do some mapping and then stop and quit or whatever you have to repeat step 1 or else you'll begin mapping one room past where you actually wanted to start. You'll pick this up as you go: you WILL make mistakes and have to redo sections until you get it :p

I actually was able to find and point out to staff several mapping errors in the old SOI with the help of the mapper. I found a room that portaled you across half of Ithilien through some diligent testing and the help of the map. You can get it to work, and work well, but it's a learning curve. Stick with it and you'll get it!
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby jdidds » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:26 am

Thanks for all the help guys :-)

Brian, I believe there are ways of adding scripts and such to be able to map whilst sneaking, but such things are beyond me.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby radioactivejesus » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:43 am

pfft, flurggin noobs don't even realize that MS-Paint is the master race of map programs.
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby jdidds » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:52 am

Seems the easiest way of mapping with CMUD whilst sneaking is to use the look command when you're in a new room, then manually connect the links. That's until I figure out how to make a script that let's you sneak and automap using sneak commands as CMUD doesnt recognise them.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby jdidds » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:53 am

And poof, just like that it stopped working :)
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:37 pm

Just use graphing paper.
Eugene
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Japheth » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:01 pm

CMUD's mapper does tend to rely on MXP tags for identifying which bits of the text coming in are room descriptions. You CAN configure it to work without it but it's not easy.

Alternately you could convince the SOI admins to add MXP tags to their room descriptions and it will all work pretty well with the mapper actually.
Do unto others, and then run away
http://www.futuremud.com
Japheth
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Nimrod » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:37 pm

Let me know if you get it to work with the additional directions, such as upnortheast, etc...
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Oblivion » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:26 pm

Huh... I tried Cmud actually, a while back when I upgraded my computer and OS, and I kept getting all kinds of strange warnings and virus alerts when using it. I've since back-tracked to using mushclient. It's not elegant but it works and doesn't give me any hassle.
Oblivion
Dwarf Recruit

Postby jdidds » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:08 pm

Trying to get a new licence key for CMUD and failing every time. I can get the new licence key from the website to my email, but I can't get it to be recognised by the CMUD client. Any help with this?
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Return to Out of Character Chatter

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login