It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:38 pm
Change font size

Out of Character Chatter

Calling all doctors, wannabe doctors

Want to hang out and have a friendly, off-topic discussion with your fellow players and the staff? This is the place to do it.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Calling all doctors, wannabe doctors

Postby jdidds » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:34 am

I just booked myself in to the docs. But I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience to what I'm having now.

I'm pretty active, and I train weights three times a week. My job is mostly demanding physically and mentally. I work with people who suffer from ALS (Lou Gehrigs disease).

The last three years (maybe more) I've been really tired. And I mean all the time. I have very little energy to do anything and I need to force myself do anything after work. I also sleep badly, waking up most nights at around four. I feel mentally drained and find it hard to focus on conversations and have started making mistakes at work. I'm also incredibly forgetful.

I'm quite concerned for my well being. Has anyone had any similar symptoms? I'm 35, so not quiet over the hill. I'm so fed up with feeling tired all the time. And having little energy to do anything at all. Feel aslo like I've lost a lust for life as very little excites me anymore. I've also suffered from depression in the last years, but I thought that was finished now.

Just thought I'd ask around here. Could it be hormonal, could it be depression? Difficult I guess, but thought I'd see if anyone has had any similar issues?
Code: Select all
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Re: Calling all doctors, wannabe doctors

Postby Rivean » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:00 am

I´m not an expert, but from what you´re describing, it could be depression - it could also be something else which is causing your sleep problems which are in turn causing everything else. Chronic sleep deprivation is really bad for you.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby jdidds » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:07 am

I've also considered that it could be depression rearing again. But I don't feel sad or anything, it's more a lack of enthusiasm in everything and a lack of emotion in general.

I really don't want to start on medication for depression and would rather try alternative methods if it came to it. Before, when I had depression, I was seeing a psychologist and he was great. But after a while told me there was nothing more he could do and that I just had to apply the methods he taught me.

I want to be happy and enjoy life I used to, have the energy to go out, be what I want to be and do what i want to do. Meet interesting people and not feel like I have nothing to say or nothing in common with anyone. It just feels so hard to master the energy to do anything. Maybe I'm just a lazy ass.

Interesting: I think my characters on SoI mirror who I am a lot. The loner, the seeker of something that can not be found. Would be an interesting study that: the relation between characters and their players.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby Rivean » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:41 am

jdidds wrote:Interesting: I think my characters on SoI mirror who I am a lot. The loner, the seeker of something that can not be found. Would be an interesting study that: the relation between characters and their players.

I hope there isn't much of a correlation to be found. Most of my PCs tend to be assholes of some variety or the other :(

ETA:

The wife says to me, "Even your avatar is obviously an asshole cat."
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby jdidds » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:14 am

^We'll wait for EltanimRas to reply, shall we? ;-)
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby Malik » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:37 am

It seems this isn't uncommon.. I'm seventeen, and I don't have a desire to do many social things, I go to bed at around 11pm (if I'm lucky, or I just have to put my phone down and force myself to sleep) and end up waking up at 3:30-4:30 AM most of the time. I don't do any sports either, I only gym.

I think its more of a mental illness than anything, I suffer depression, anxiety and prefer to be left alone, all the time. This hasn't always been the case.. It started about two years ago? It might be something that's bothering you, likely. You just need to find out what, if that's the case.
Malik
Verified Member

Postby WorkerDrone » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:11 am

I'm not depressed and when I have the enthusiasm to do things, I become extremely happy.

I'd say I know exactly how this all feels, because the act of sleeping itself is immensely pleasing to me, but I wouldn't say, no matter how much sleep I get, which is typically between 6 and 12 hour stints, that I feel "rested". I don't feel sadness, but in all truth I've come to learn depression could at least take the form of that lack of enthusiasm and motivation to do anything, social or otherwise.

From personal experience uh...well. I dunno.

Every time I consider throwing myself into something productive, I realize I'll want to put off all the things I waste my time with. I'm not really incompetent at anything, but only really excel in a few things, so I figure throwing yourself into a narrow spectrum of focuses makes you feel like you have little time from which to manage, and the more you spend "wasting" on anything that doesn't further any of your goals or progress them, the less motivated you become?

I like wasting my time, I guess, I like living care free, with some time put aside for sustainability and the majority living care free, but take it from me, it's not the best lifestyle to pursue for overall happiness and fulfillment. You will come out feeling "adequate" at best, or left wanting at worst.

I haven't found that middle ground during one of these depressed states (sans the sadness or anxiety usually involved with depression) that can juggle between throwing oneself into work or education or hobbies that give me that sense of fulfillment while still having plenty of time for "time wasting activities" that don't exactly curry those feelings.

Maybe it's possible, maybe it's efficient to juggle periods of abandoning those activities for the sake of productivity until the "depression" goes away, and then falling back on old habits as a compromise.

But then that made me think, jeez, isn't that just enabling something unhealthy in the first place? There's no winning. When you start feeling good about yourself for accomplishing things, you feel guilty for taking it easy.

Maybe you're not as neurotic as me, but since the lack of sleep may be stress related, maybe you are.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby BoogtehWoog » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:34 am

As I said in the other thread, it could be because of low testosterone as well. Just make certain you have that tested. And to also post the results here. Some doctors are not particularly well-versed with regards to proper testosterone levels and will you tell that your levels are normal when they are anything but.
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby Bogre » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:49 pm

Before considering depression things like hypothyroidism should always be ruled out. Thyroid hormones are essentially the metabolic energy hormone - too little and you are tired, gaining weight, slowed, and too much and you are losing weight, jittery, and hyper. There are also weirder things like hypoadrenalism, hypotestosteronemia, etc.

Depression is marked by sleep changes, anhedonia (lack of enjoyment in normal activities), irritability, mood changes, that sort of thing.

Sleep is also important - are you a big guy/gal? Muscular ? Do you snore? Different things like obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) means your quality of sleep is extremely low because of unnoticed nighttime awakenings. Insomnia and/or poor sleep habits and even narcolepsy can contribute.

Especially because the treatment of metabolic and/or sleep things can be addressed relatively simply, a proper workup is always in order.

Good luck!
Bogre
Verified Member

Postby Eugene » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:49 am

Sounds to me like your problem is psychological. Just go do something really cathartic. When I'm feeling stressed out, I just go with some of my buddies, we get ridiculously drunk, and then just run around town like hooligans. If it's more in-depth than that, I re-examine my life and make changes as necessary. Don't bother with medication or therapy - from personal experience, I can tell you it's just a band-aid over a more serious wound. It sounds like you need to have a serious conversation with yourself about the direction your life is going in and how you truly wish to conduct it.

All in all, it sounds like a problem with stress, stress management, and one of the biggest issues for all human beings: their sense of place in the world.

Also, I would be pretty stressed out if my line of work was dealing with Lou Gehrig's patients. If more of a hardship than it is fulfilling, and you aren't willing to put up with it, then move on.
Eugene
Dwarf Recruit

Return to Out of Character Chatter

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login