It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:57 pm
Change font size

Out of Character Chatter

Family gatherings

Want to hang out and have a friendly, off-topic discussion with your fellow players and the staff? This is the place to do it.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Family gatherings

Postby jdidds » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:18 pm

At a cabin with my, kind of, girlfriend. Many of her family members have suddenly shown up, an we're sitting around the table discussing. Or we where until I decided I can't hack it any more and made an excuse to go and check on my son who is sleeping upstairs.

I can't help but think that they talk about so many things that bore me to tears; developments in the town, the owner of one of the local restaurants that is doing very well, the new theater.. Blah blah blah. I have nothing to comment on or say and people look at me wondering if I'm okay. Which I'm obviously not.

Had this problem in my last relationship too. But then it was even worse, I couldn't even excuse myself to be alone without fighting with the wife for the next day because I'm so antisocial. Maybe it's just me that's not interesting at all.

Is it just me or is a problem for others too? Thing is, I can almost guarantee that there is nothing I am interested in, that would be of interest to them.

The wine is flowing, the food is plenty and I feel like gollum in the forbidden pool.
Code: Select all
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Re: Family gatherings

Postby MarcusSaint » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:50 pm

My wife is -very- similar. It's not just you. There are many others like this. She sent me something the other day that I may have to post here, let me see if I can find it first...

Here you go:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/30-things-only-antisocial-people-understand?bffb

We've been married for nearly 15 years now and I am the complete opposite.

I try to hard to understand her though. I do, but still, I just don't get it. :/ I've just learned to accept it though. Besides, I do enough talking for the both of us. :mrgreen:
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!!
MarcusSaint
Forum Hobbit

Postby Hawkwind » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:19 pm

At the last gathering of my wife's side of the family I was instructed on the following, my need to find Jesus, the obvious link between alcoholism and homosexual children, how stupid some people are and why taking prayer out of schools causes murders.

I dread an eventual meeting between our two clans, mine is fairly polar to hers and we celebrate by drinking, laughing and general good times. They play boggle, have half a glass of wine and discuss utterly boring (to me) topics.

What do I do?
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Nyneve » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:26 pm

Hawkwind wrote:my need to find Jesus

Hawkwind wrote:What do I do?

Ask them if he's lost, and casually remind them that Jesus wanted to party so bad he turned water into wine.
“Then he called him Maeglin, which is Sharp Glance, for he perceived that the eyes of his son were more piercing than his own, and his thought could read the secrets of hearts beyond the mist of words.”
Nyneve
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Hawkwind » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:28 pm

I told them I work with him since there are a lot of Hispanics working in my area, expecting to get a few smiles and a chuckle. THE SILENCE LASTED TWO WHOLE MINUTES.
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Rivean » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:29 pm

You soldier on, my boy! Also, you make sure your Texans never land on the home soil if you can possibly help it :P

Now, as to the matter at hand - family gatherings suck, they've always sucked. Everybody in my extended family knows I never go anywhere and they have stopped complaining when I don't come around. I'm with you guys that far.

But as is sometimes inevitable, I will be roped into having to talk to people for an hour or two. In these circumstances, while I am itching to be away, and while I certainly don't enjoy it, I can be perfectly civil, perfectly engaging, and carry on an animated discourse on diverse topics, all of which are of little interest to me.

This is possible, I think, firstly, because I am, in my heart of hearts, a whore, and despite my sometimes abrasive exterior, I DO enjoy delighting people with my company. It's nice to be loved.

Secondly, it's possible because it's not terribly hard to anticipate what will and will not work in social situations and, lacking the relevant level of malice to actively make these situations worse, it's a very easy matter for me to put on the jester's mask and perform.

What's stopping you from doing the same, John?
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Rivean » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:33 pm

Also, Hawk - your folks still think you're a Christian, yes? The solution to your problem lies in a simple declaration. I would put on a suit of bulletproof armor before I made that announcement though.

What's up with your Missus?
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Hawkwind » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:39 pm

Rivean wrote:Also, Hawk - your folks still think you're a Christian, yes? The solution to your problem lies in a simple declaration. I would put on a suit of bulletproof armor before I made that announcement though.

What's up with your Missus?

I belong to the Church of '(Wheel)Barrow, I go when I'm pushed.

This joke would kill at my own families gatherings, in fact it's one of my fathers staples. Once it was spoken to my darling wife's side, you heard knives scratch plates. That sort of thing never comes up, never has back home.

So when asked to make any sort of offering or somesuch I generally go along as to not seem like a jerk. An example would be we went to a Christmas Eve service with the mother in law, both her and my wife are fairly strong Catholics, I'm not. As a shown of support for my mother in law (she had a rough year with husbands dying, etc) I joined them when they went up to take Communion, later I found out this is a sin... :D

EDA
Wife is cool, never really bothered one way or another. More a Deist than a Theist now.
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:47 pm

MarcusSaint wrote:My wife is -very- similar. It's not just you. There are many others like this. She sent me something the other day that I may have to post here, let me see if I can find it first...

Here you go:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/30-things-only-antisocial-people-understand?bffb

We've been married for nearly 15 years now and I am the complete opposite.

I try to hard to understand her though. I do, but still, I just don't get it. :/ I've just learned to accept it though. Besides, I do enough talking for the both of us. :mrgreen:

That list though. Spot freaking on. :oops:
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby Olthadir » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:32 pm

I drive six days to get to my wife's old house with her mother in law. Within five minutes of how was the drive, oh, what a cute daughter, how are you... And all that I'm on my iPad responding here.

I can't take it. Especially after driving nearly 60 hours in six days to get here. I know people are excited to see us and especially my daughter, but... Seriously? You want to know about the drive?

And any party or social gathering, I hate them. Exactly for that reason, jdidds, they always talk about nothing important. When someone talks about the weather I shut down and block out their stupidity.
Olthadir
Honored Dwarf

Postby jdidds » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:41 pm

Code: Select all
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby Hazgarn » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:08 pm

It helps if you genuinely enjoy making people uncomfortable.

It helps even more if your "rich inner life" provides you with a wide variety of topics that will make random strangers and casual acquaintances intensely uncomfortable. :twisted:
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Return to Out of Character Chatter

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login