It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:34 am
Change font size

Out of Character Chatter

Computer Savvy People: Help

Want to hang out and have a friendly, off-topic discussion with your fellow players and the staff? This is the place to do it.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Computer Savvy People: Help

Postby WhiteWhale » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:39 am

My laptop is from around 2008, so 6 years old. It's a dell. The charger port on the back does not charge the battery anymore (tried 3 different ones, all the same case) and it's part of the motherboard. The last time I upgraded my laptop (RAM, hardrive, few other things), my CPU that attaches to the motherboard had a few of the small "prongs" break off into the other side. Is this affecting my performance and should be replaced?
Keep Calm Chive On
WhiteWhale
Forum Hobbit

Re: Computer Savvy People: Help

Postby Letters » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:48 am

If you have damaged internal bits, it could give up the ghost any day now. I'm surprised it's still performing at all after six years, really.

My honest advice would be to, rather than paying for more replacements, back up anything on the hard drive that matters to you, wait for something on the current one to become irreparably broken unless you pay for parts, and get a new laptop.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby WhiteWhale » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:51 am

It seems to still run fine. Upgraded from xp to windows 7 and it's been fine ever since. The only thing is I don't have a lot to budget towards a new model right now. :)

If I did, i'd try to build a desktop.

Anyone one else have a XPS M1730? :lol:
Keep Calm Chive On
WhiteWhale
Forum Hobbit

Postby Rivean » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:26 pm

Letters wrote:My honest advice would be to ... get a new laptop.

Laptops are the devil. Unless you have any particular desire or need to be mobile in your computer usage, desktops are almost invariably more value for money. They're also constantly upgradable, since there's nothing you can't replace, till your motherboard stupidly outdated.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Hawkwind » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:47 pm

Everything you have read about Windows 8 is true.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Rivean » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:48 pm

Hawkwind wrote:Everything you have read about Windows 8 is true.

Bah. Windows 8.1 is fine.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Letters » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:35 pm

Rivean wrote:
Letters wrote:My honest advice would be to ... get a new laptop.

Laptops are the devil. Unless you have any particular desire or need to be mobile in your computer usage, desktops are almost invariably more value for money. They're also constantly upgradable, since there's nothing you can't replace, till your motherboard stupidly outdated.

Also this. Depending on your budget, desktops can come pretty cheap.

Windows 8 is tolerable with appropriate modifications - try Stardock's Start8 (dirt cheap, too).
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby twitchyweasel » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:49 pm

Did you try a new battery, or a new charger? If you wiggle the power supply cord around in the charger port does it affect the charging/powered status? If it is the port itself, they are dirt cheap. time consuming to replace, though.
twitchyweasel
Dwarf Recruit

Postby WhiteWhale » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:02 pm

twitchyweasel wrote:Did you try a new battery, or a new charger? If you wiggle the power supply cord around in the charger port does it affect the charging/powered status? If it is the port itself, they are dirt cheap. time consuming to replace, though.

My solder skills are almost nothing. I have bought 2 other spare batteries and still no charge. Tried a new charger with no luck either. It's a common problem for this series that the charger port goes bad.

May just have to find a cheap desktop and go from there...
Keep Calm Chive On
WhiteWhale
Forum Hobbit

Postby Letters » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:05 pm

Purchasing individual components is typically cheaper. Peripherals can be free, if you have somewhere convenient to scavenge. I'm not even kidding - my college used to ditch old but perfectly functional keyboards and monitors all the time.
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby Jeshin » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:29 pm

www.newegg.com <--- more or less the go to spot to build a desktop from scratch affordably.
Jeshin
Elf Recruit

Postby MrDvAnt » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:41 pm

Jeshin wrote:http://www.newegg.com <--- more or less the go to spot to build a desktop from scratch affordably.

This. You can get a decent gaming rig for about 400-600. Usually the only upgrades you need are a video card and power supply. I got mine about 2 years ago and it runs all the newest FPS games on highest video settings at around 60-70fps. So, depending on what you need, you could get away with just the 300-500 for a basic computer. If all you're doing is mudding it could be even cheaper. :p
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby Icristhus » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:51 pm

If you've got your heart set on a laptop and are literally only going to use it for web browsing, word processing, mudding, and other dinky little things you can easily find $200-300 laptops both new and used for sale all over the internet, including directly from places like Dell, HP, etc.

But, yes, if you've got damaged CPU pins and can no longer charge batteries and have a 6 year old laptop, you're probably best off saving for a couple of months and replacing the machine altogether.

As a point of reference, the lifetime of a Windows PC is officially supposed to be about 3 years. Most businesses will try to upgrade/replace their computers every 5 years at the latest, if they can at all afford the upgrade.

Computers simply aren't like cars: a 6 year old car is still fairly new and a great deal for thousands of dollars.. A 6 year old computer (especially a laptop) will generally be difficult to give away, nevermind sell, and finding the right parts and services to repair or upgrade it will usually be a nightmare.
Icristhus
Forum Hobbit

Postby twitchyweasel » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:39 am

http://lifehacker.com/5840963/the-best- ... 0-and-1200

^This is a pretty good article. Has a 300 dollar desktop build, too.

*coughrunlinuxonyournewpccough*
twitchyweasel
Dwarf Recruit

Postby WhiteWhale » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:41 am

Really appreciate all feedback. Thinking of doing a barebones kit and going from there. :)
Keep Calm Chive On
WhiteWhale
Forum Hobbit

Postby MrDvAnt » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:35 pm

WhiteWhale wrote:Really appreciate all feedback. Thinking of doing a barebones kit and going from there. :)

Always fun and much easier than a lot of people expect it to be. I would recommend you get started asap though in case your current laptop craps out on you.
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Return to Out of Character Chatter

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login