It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:11 am
Change font size

Out of Character Chatter

Picnic Date Ideas

Want to hang out and have a friendly, off-topic discussion with your fellow players and the staff? This is the place to do it.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Picnic Date Ideas

Postby twitchyweasel » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:31 pm

I'm taking my girl to see a play saturday, and thought it would be fun to take her to the downtown gardens for a picnic lunch. My problem, however, is that I'm far from a culinary expert, and can't come up with good picnics ideas. PB&J, while tasty, doesn't exactly scream romance...

So, as I google how to put on a spectacular picnic, thought I'd ask you guys for input!

ETA: I also don't care for wine, but she does. Any ideas, there?
twitchyweasel
Dwarf Recruit

Re: Picnic Date Ideas

Postby MarcusSaint » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:17 pm

Does it have to be lunch?

Can you make it breakfast?

Buy a box of cereal, get some fruit (bananas and/or berries), buy some O.J. and get a couple of cartons of milk. If she's into bagels and cream cheese instead of cereal, that's fine too. Just don't do donuts. :(

Couple of bowls, couple of plates, couple of glasses, on a Saturday morning, you're likely to have the place to yourself.

:mrgreen:

Not to mention, the weather is typically cooler depending on your geographic location.

If you're stuck on doing lunch, then you might consider a BLT on toast. Throw a couple of those fancy toothpicks in the mix, add half a dill pickle, get her favorite chips and soda.

I think wine is more of a dinner drink than lunch. ;)
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!!
MarcusSaint
Forum Hobbit

Postby twitchyweasel » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:18 pm

If not wine, then vodka lemonade? :D
twitchyweasel
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Hazgarn » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:31 pm

Assuming there are no food-related complications involved such as allergies...

Pasta salad is a good picnic food, and has that feel of "See? I really put in effort!" even though it isn't actually that hard to make. And not hard to find from a store or deli if making it yourself isn't an option.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby Hawkwind » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:47 pm

Grapes, cheeses and posh meats, stuff you would get from the deli. Also, wine.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby jdidds » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:48 pm

Do what I do when I -really- want to impress a gal, and take her out for a kebab. 60% of the time it works every time!
Code: Select all
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby Hawkwind » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:59 am

jdidds wrote:Do what I do when I -really- want to impress a gal, and take her out for a kebab. 60% of the time it works every time!

You are not in Liverpool now.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Brian » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:49 am

This is a good one for summertime and picnics; when I make it I cut back on the sugar though, just 3 tablespoons or so. I just taste and see how it is and if it needs a little more.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/fresh-broccoli-salad/

Also, go with what was said above and get a french baguette (make sure it is FRESH that day so it doesn't get all hard) and pair that with a selection of cheeses and possibly some meats. Get a selection of olives from an olive bar and that rounds it out nicely.

If you want to get really posh another thing that I do when I'm trying to impress is get dates, remove the pit, insert some Roquefort blue cheese and an almond into the center where the pit was, and then wrap the date in a slice of prosciutto. Stick a toothpick through it and it holds the thing together/gives you a good handle for the bite. This is a really good one, very tasty flavours together.

Good luck!
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:02 am

We should just make a sticky for recipes like on the old forums.
Eugene
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Oblivion » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:53 am

Oh come on, just follow any anime.... Make a home-made bento and then hand feed her your best products and then eventually wipe some of the food off her cheek and eat what you wiped off all the while keeping eye contact, totally foolproof ... you know.. unless you're human... haha

Finger foods, crackers and cheeses, small sandwiches of lettuce and salami or turkey/chicken. Nothing that would make the breath foul (such as onions or jalapenos unless you know your lady friend likes that sort of thing), if you're of age a bottle of wine wouldn't be too bad so long as the driver keeps their composure. So maybe a bottle of Barefoot and then a thing of water to drink between glasses.

Maybe at the end have a little bit of cake, even if it's pre-made and bought at least there's something. Ice-cream likely wouldn't hold up very well throughout the lunching process, but something sweet in general is good after a couple cups of wine.
Oblivion
Dwarf Recruit

Postby twitchyweasel » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:17 am

Just got back from our vacation, but the picnic last weekend was a success!

I went with a cheese board, and various cheeses and meats. Weather was lovely, and she adored the play!
twitchyweasel
Dwarf Recruit

Return to Out of Character Chatter

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login