It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:02 pm
Change font size

Out of Character Chatter

A request for help - Lost a student

Want to hang out and have a friendly, off-topic discussion with your fellow players and the staff? This is the place to do it.

Moderator: Elder Staff

A request for help - Lost a student

Postby Olthadir » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:32 pm

I recently found out that a student of mine in a house fire. I was many, many kilometers away at the time.

I'm a rather private person and one of the draws of this community is the fact that we can hide behind out usernames and our characters without any questions of who we really are. I need to share this tragic event, and to do so, I have to reveal some things about my life. This family's tragic loss is more important than my apparent secrecy.

I live in Fort Resolution, Northwest Territories, Canada and have for four years. I am originally from Toronto, Canada. I moved far north because I was offered a teaching job. I love my job. This summer, a student of mine who I've taught for the last two years, but have known for the past four, passed away in a house fire. She was sixteen.
Fort Resolution is a small community on Great Slave Lake. Everyone knows everyone there and this tragedy has obviously affected everyone. She was related to most of the town and a friend to the other half.

I got to know her as a teacher. She did not have the most happy life, but it shouldn't have ended like this. I've been rushing back to the community with my family to make it for the funeral and to help the students deal with the loss. It's a seven day drive from Toronto to Fort Resolution. I'm almost there, I should get there tomorrow.

The teachers found out today that the student died from smoke inhalation. She has 65% CO, which means she thankfully did not suffer.
The family (she lived with her grandparents) lost their house in the fire as well.

The community has put together a donation site. I don't know if it goes against forum rules, but I want to put it up here.

It would be great if you could donate, but please don't feel like you have to. No one here knows her, or her family, and you probably don't know me that well either.
I knew this student and her family and I feel like I need to do something to help. They reached out to who they know, and now it's my turn.

Thank you for reading this. If you can, help, if you can't I understand. Any kind words I will pass on to those who need it.

http://www.gofundme.com/d9tido
Olthadir
Honored Dwarf

Re: A request for help - Lost a student

Postby Oblivion » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:51 pm

I won't be able to assist with funding, but I would like to at least express my condolences as someone who has also unexpectedly lost family.

No single loss of a loved one can compared or measured against someone else's loss, and should never be attempted because every person is special and important in their own ways. But understand that they are not alone in the feelings that they will be and have been experiencing. Sometimes, just that knowledge that you aren't alone is helpful in getting through some parts of the loss.

Again, condolences.
Oblivion
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Olthadir » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:01 pm

Thank you Oblivion. Your words mean more to me than any financial assistance. I don't mind, and again, I don't want anyone to think they need to do anything. Words are more than enough.
Olthadir
Honored Dwarf

Postby EltanimRas » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:00 am

I can't say I know how you feel, much less the family, but Riv and I both teach, and we're terribly sorry to hear this.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Troubadour » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:24 am

From Ontario and I am so very sorry to hear of this. You have my deepest condolences.
Eugene wrote:
You want to be a skipping stone, making a myriad of ripples along the way.
Troubadour
Forum Hobbit

Postby Rivean » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:25 am

Absolutely horrible news. I'm so sorry that we're not presently in a position to help.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Red » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:33 pm

Donated.
Red
Forum Hobbit

Return to Out of Character Chatter

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login