It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:04 am
Change font size

Out of Character Chatter

You folks with fancy words

Want to hang out and have a friendly, off-topic discussion with your fellow players and the staff? This is the place to do it.

Moderator: Elder Staff

You folks with fancy words

Postby seenmycorpseanywhere » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:30 am

This thought has crossed my mind a few times, so I thought I'd drop a post to tell you about it - I love it when I stumble on people ig who inadvertently teach me fancy words, or those rare expressions which help so much in setting an immersive mood and which I'd never have guessed even existed on my own, particularly in emotes. English is a language I enjoy, but when it's all about spontaneously coming up with expressive ways to get ideas across, I'm at a loss - I find myself often turning to the old same verbs and adjectives, or resorting to painfully long sentences to avoid the problem of not knowing the exact, concise word.

This has improved, however, since I just started taking notes. Simple as that. I see something I like and which rolls out of my tongue, to put it in some way, and I shamelessly copy it for later use (and when I do use it, deep inside I'm hoping nobody will notice and that it doesn't sound too awkward : )

Anyway, anyone in the same situation scribbling little notes with what to native speakers (the majority of the player base as far as I can tell :D ) must sound like really basic stuff?
seenmycorpseanywhere
Verified Member

Re: You folks with fancy words

Postby EltanimRas » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:45 am

I'm a native speaker, and I still steal things. I'd never have guessed you weren't.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Sabrelon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:52 am

I definitely feel like I write better emotes (and pmotes, for that matter) when I'm roleplaying with people who write in a consistently impressive way.

I don't think it's necessarily bad to use the same adjectives and verbs repeatedly as long as they can express the point you're trying to make, and they don't become redundant.

I think, instead of necessarily copying things (which I absolutely do, and think is totally a tool people should use), people should just try to find their general style of roleplay that they enjoy, and work with that.
Sabrelon
Forum Hobbit

Postby Hawkwind » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:59 pm

When i first started nearly a decade ago people thought English was my second language, it is not. =/
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Rivean » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:24 pm

Hawkwind wrote:When i first started nearly a decade ago people thought English was my second language, it is not. =/

We still love you, Renal.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby EltanimRas » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:34 pm

Wait, English is Renal's first language? Next you'll be telling me Malkara isn't a girl.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Fulgrim » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:56 pm

Malkara isn't a girl? They have such lustrous golden locks though.

My life is a lie.
(Morgoth):
I had a part in everything.
Twice I destroyed the light and twice I failed.
I left ruin behind me when I returned.
But I also carried ruin with me.
She, the mistress of her own lust.
Fulgrim
Roleplay Admin

Postby Sabrelon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:59 pm

EltanimRas wrote:Wait, English is Renal's first language? Next you'll be telling me Malkara isn't a girl.

Don't ever let anyone tell you Malkara isn't a girl. Do not tolerate such a topic.
Sabrelon
Forum Hobbit

Postby likui » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:26 am

Hawkwind wrote:When i first started nearly a decade ago people thought English was my second language, it is not. =/

Glad to know I'm not the only one!

Some of the expressive emotes I see (while I'm repeatedly nodding and smiling IG like a robot) just make me want to log out of the game in shame. :oops:
Last edited by likui on Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
likui
Honored Dwarf

Postby teepu » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:40 am

likui wrote:
Some of the expressive emotes I see while (I'm repeatedly nodding and smiling IG like a robot) just make me want to log out of the game in shame. :oops:

:roll: Agreed. Just saying :roll:
teepu
Guide

Postby seenmycorpseanywhere » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:38 am

likui wrote:

Glad to know I'm not the only one!

Some of the expressive emotes I see while (I'm repeatedly nodding and smiling IG like a robot) just make me want to log out of the game in shame. :oops:

lol. That last bit sounds so familiar. "I'd rather not emote than nod -again-." is a common thought of mine.
seenmycorpseanywhere
Verified Member

Postby MrDvAnt » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:26 pm

Fancy emotes are fine when the drama requires them, but I like having a conversation with another character without having to wait a full minute in between each input.

Most times, in normal situations, I'd rather see

"Yes. I agree", so and so says while nodding his head.

than a five sentence long emote about the sun glinting in his hair while he nods in a certain way, causing shadows to deepen in his masculine chin-cleft while he tucks a strand of wheat-gold hair behind his ear with bluff, calloused fingers.
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby Rivean » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:35 am

MrDvAnt wrote:than a five sentence long emote about the sun glinting in his hair while he nods in a certain way, causing shadows to deepen in his masculine chin-cleft while he tucks a strand of wheat-gold hair behind his ear with bluff, calloused fingers.

You're conflating an eloquent emoting style with self-indulgent narcissism. I can assure you that the two things are entirely different, and the latter annoys me as much as it does anybody else.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby tehkory » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:14 am

MrDvAnt wrote:Fancy emotes are fine when the drama requires them, but I like having a conversation with another character without having to wait a full minute in between each input.

Most times, in normal situations, I'd rather see

"Yes. I agree", so and so says while nodding his head.

than a five sentence long emote about the sun glinting in his hair while he nods in a certain way, causing shadows to deepen in his masculine chin-cleft while he tucks a strand of wheat-gold hair behind his ear with bluff, calloused fingers.

What you just described is called purple prose. It's needlessly verbose and descriptive. All purple prose is overly long, but not all long, dramatic emotes are purple prose.

Everybody has their own, distinctive style. I've picked out people before their first emote and had the same done to me. That's not a bad thing. Most play differences are stylistic. But the best advice in the world of mudding I've ever heard is to vote with your feet. In other words, if you can't stand whoever you're playing with, go play with someone else!
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Real » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:05 pm

It can be difficult knowing what any individual expects.

Half the time I'll just walk in and tell good day and someone will reply with a wall of text and then I'll be stuck in wall-of-text-mode for the next guy, who happens to have no time for that bs and totally has somewhere to be right now.

And in terms of environmental emotes, what is immersive and what is purple prose? Do people hate RPing out travelling through the wilderness or does it add to the trips?
Everything gets smaller now the further that I go
Towards the mouth and the reunion of the known and the unknown
Consider yourself lucky if you think of it as home
You can move mountains with your misery if you don't
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby Rivean » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:36 pm

Real wrote:And in terms of environmental emotes, what is immersive and what is purple prose? Do people hate RPing out travelling through the wilderness or does it add to the trips?

The whole topic is highly subjective. For me personally, I might enjoy having more atmospheric emotes given to me about the setting and the environs, for example:

The small sounds of @'s movements are swallowed by the living whispers of the night time forest. Overhead, the web of trees threaten to drown out the stars, but he continues to lead the group deeper into the woods.

I would probably appreciate some actual details thrown in for realism too, stepping over roots and ducking past low hanging branches, but not necessarily every emote.

ETA: Even though purists might prefer to limit emotes to purely physical descriptions, however fancily worded, I do think that a some liberty can be taken with such things to enhance a scene. I enjoy, in moderation, seeing things like an 'ominous silence' or a 'mournful wind' or 'terrible carnage'.

ETA2: However, I've never enjoyed playing in large clans and my favorite scenes tend to be with, at the most, three to four PCs. People who are more combat/goal/group orientated might have different preferences.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby likui » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:57 pm

Rivean wrote:You're conflating an eloquent emoting style with self-indulgent narcissism. I can assure you that the two things are entirely different, and the latter annoys me as much as it does anybody else.

Honestly, I think it is too easy to confuse the two. I recall one player in particular (back in the MT era when I was playing the leader of a criminal gang) who consistently wrote 8- or 9- line emotes. To the casual observer in a crowded room, seeing detailed emotes about one's repositioning of hands, eye expressions, mannerisms, etc. in reaction to every comment or emote may seem self-indulgent (some individuals frequently complained about it) but once I got to know her character one on one, wow...talk about real-to-life and immersive.

It was at a time when my character was desperate for assistance in certain matters, financial and otherwise, and since she wielded a lot of influence and money I dwelled on every possible clue in her emotes. During the time it took her to respond, I found myself typing multiple, paranoid thinks, wondering what she wanted, whether she was going to assist me at all, if something my character said offended her, etc. The conversations were like chess matches.
Last edited by likui on Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
likui
Honored Dwarf

Postby Rivean » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:32 pm

likui wrote:
Rivean wrote:You're conflating an eloquent emoting style with self-indulgent narcissism. I can assure you that the two things are entirely different, and the latter annoys me as much as it does anybody else.

Honestly, I think it is too easy to confuse the two. I recall one player in particular (back in the MT era when I was playing the leader of a criminal gang) who consistently wrote 8- or 9- line emotes. To the casual observer in a crowded room, seeing detailed emotes about one's repositioning of hands, eye expressions, mannerisms, etc. in reaction to every comment or emote may seem self-indulgent (some individuals frequently complained about it) but once I got to know her character one on one, wow...talk about real-to-life and immersive. It was at a time when my character was desperate for assistance in certain matters, financial and otherwise, and since she wielded a lot of influence and money I absolutely had to dwell on every clue to whether she would help me or not. And during the time it took her to respond, I usually found myself typing multiple, paranoid thinks, wondering what she wanted, if she was going to assist me at all, etc. The conversations were like chess matches.

Why do you dredge up the ghost of poor Meeriya so? I wasn't particularly a fan of her emoting style, but I enjoyed playing with her and my PC and hers shared a very strangely intimate relationship. She brought out the dark philosopher in that rogue.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby EltanimRas » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:40 pm

I'm all for atmosphere and setting in emotes, especially when it incorporates things that aren't the same every time I'm in the room. Hints at facial expression, mood, and dissembling are always appreciated.

References to dmote and inventory material -- a PC that's dripping wet, or naked, or carrying a torch and pitchfork, or what have you -- can be helpful, especially when they're important and unlikely to be ICly overlooked. Main desc material I prefer to see sparingly, although I don't mind it once in a while, especially from PCs I've just met and am still forming my mental image of. Details that just echo the sdesc are just silly.

As far as pacing is concerned, my biggest preference is to see everything I need to respond to in one emote or say. I don't mind short posts; I don't mind long ones. But if you type three while I'm working on one, you're just making me slower, because I'm backspacing and re-adjusting to try and account for your additions. (That said, I don't mind a second emote that clarifies the tone or flavor of the first, and I don't mind a quick afterthought every now and again.)

Multi-threaded conversations are something I used to be able to handle, but can't anymore. I don't terribly mind if other people do it, but I almost never see outrageous examples either, just minor ones.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby likui » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:37 pm

Rivean wrote:Why do you dredge up the ghost of poor Meeriya so? I wasn't particularly a fan of her emoting style, but I enjoyed playing with her and my PC and hers shared a very strangely intimate relationship. She brought out the dark philosopher in that rogue.

Who's dredging??! I'm not dredging!!

*suspiciously crosses arms over the logo of a "I heart Meeriya and Friends T-shirt*

Actually, I was referring to a period when Rivaen was no longer in-game, so I wasn't including you in the list of dissenters. ;)
Last edited by likui on Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
likui
Honored Dwarf

Postby Brian » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:06 pm

I knew exactly who you were talking about too likui. They were certainly...long.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby seenmycorpseanywhere » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:25 am

I tend to do long emotes. Actually, I -love- the whole mixing of conversation and emotes with quoting. It's just..just..great. I still haven't used a say or tell with this character (which makes me wonder why I bothered with the voice command in the first place). I know it sounds silly, but if the regular say/tell presented the speech with the same bluish color I'd like it much more.

Like someone else said up there, I think emoting on the verbose side should be fine as long as each piece of info has some reason which is not "I just happen to enjoy my writing." Regarding my personal taste, I'll take emotes talking about the environment and atmosphere over those describing physical actions anytime. Let's face it, in the end it's a black screen with letters, and details about the surroundings help jog up the imagination. Just mentioning in passing how hard it is to listen to me because of the people drinking and cheering in the room is more immersive than describing the twitch of my thin eyebrow at apparently nothing in particular. imho of course.

Aaand yeah, keeping turns for emoting. I think of it as a non-written rule. I -suck- in conversations with more than 2 others, but I overly enjoy the one on one kind. Actually, I shy away from large gatherings of people because of ooc reasons (not being able to keep pace).

Seems like an innocent rant on vocabulary brought up quite a few opinions from you guys :D
seenmycorpseanywhere
Verified Member

Postby likui » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:10 pm

Brian wrote:I knew exactly who you were talking about too likui. They were certainly...long.

So, if multiple people remember who she was and instantly recognize her, it cannot be necessarily a bad thing, right? :D
likui
Honored Dwarf

Postby Brian » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:09 pm

likui wrote:
Brian wrote:I knew exactly who you were talking about too likui. They were certainly...long.

So, if multiple people remember who she was and instantly recognize her, it cannot be necessarily a bad thing, right? :D

Absolutely, I can't think of anyone in history who, if they're instantly recognized by a defining feature, is a bad guy!
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby radioactivejesus » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:15 am

Brian wrote:
likui wrote:

Absolutely, I can't think of anyone in history who, if they're instantly recognized by a defining feature, is a bad guy!

in before Godwin's Law is invoked.
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Return to Out of Character Chatter

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login