It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:37 am
Change font size

Out of Character Chatter

Shadow of Mordor

Want to hang out and have a friendly, off-topic discussion with your fellow players and the staff? This is the place to do it.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Shadow of Mordor

Postby Holmes » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:25 pm

Anyone else playing this?

It's pretty ridiculously amazing. Assassin's Creed: Middle-Earth

When I first heard of it, I was pretty eye-rolly about its apparent treatment of canon, but honestly its by far the richest interpretation of Lord of the Rings that's been released in video game form. It's not a trite re-telling of the trilogy from the viewpoint of some two-bit actors like Third Age, and it's not a boring, cash-grab of a theme park like LotRO.

What it is is a completely fresh take, with a plausibly Tolkien 'hero'. There's definitely some things that defy canon (and the entire premise defies an explicit statement by Tolkien that no one except Beren has ever returned from the dead), but in general from what I've played so far it's quite chock full of little bits of lore.

My favorite part of it is the portrayal of Orcs, which is better than anything that's been done previously, in any media. They're evil, but not utterly mindless. They're brutal, but not complete caricatures (with some exceptions). They're cunning, manipulative bastards.

I'd definitely recommend checking the game out if you've got a next-gen console or a beefy PC.
Holmes
Elf Recruit

Re: Shadow of Mordor

Postby Hawkwind » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:33 pm

Glad to hear such, I've been watching it on and off. Heard the Studio actually had a lawsuit about nigh identical character movement or some such.

How is the freeform/sandbox aspect of it?
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Holmes » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:28 pm

Hawkwind wrote:Glad to hear such, I've been watching it on and off. Heard the Studio actually had a lawsuit about nigh identical character movement or some such.

How is the freeform/sandbox aspect of it?

I spent about 8 hours in the first area, I'm not entirely sure how many there are total... but I haven't even touched on the over-arching metagame yet. The open world is pretty static, it's an open world in the sense that you can go anywhere and stab orcs, but the nemesis system makes it very fresh, in that Orcs get promoted based on who you kill. Your character's immortal, and if an orc kills you, he'll grow in power and possibly become a leader himself even if he was previously just a nameless mook.
Holmes
Elf Recruit

Postby Hawkwind » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:02 pm

The game does sound appealing in all aspects save lore and canon. I have read some things that make no sense. I will post them when i get home clearly marked spoilers.
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby krelm » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:35 am

Ratbag is the best orc.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Icarus » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:39 pm

Going tp be checking this out
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Hawkwind » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:50 pm

Get Destiny instead! At least they've added a few features that can safely prevent straight forward comparisants to Mass Effect! :D
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Eugene » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:55 am

My friends beat it and near 100-percented it in under 20 hours. Would not buy.
Eugene
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Holmes » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:58 am

Eugene wrote:My friends beat it and near 100-percented it in under 20 hours. Would not buy.

Since when is 20 hours a bad amount of time for a triple A game?
Holmes
Elf Recruit

Postby Droll » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:02 am

20 hours makes sense, there are only 20 main missions after all..but, I feel like your friend didn't play enough Assassin's Creed: Orc Murder. I probably spent 15 hours straight just running around, fighting Captains and all the hordes before I got around to doing a mission. :|
[A burning comet headed straight for your head is online. Use NOTIFY to reply in kind.]
Droll
Honored Dwarf

Postby Holmes » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:45 am

I bet the main quest in 15 hours, but still have plenty of side stuff to do. And even if I'd finished every sidequest, the game is open-ended enough to give you plenty of self-motivated achievements to go after.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I like actually getting to finish games I play without them requiring 200 hours of playtime. Sinking that much into a game is really difficult to fit between work, eating, and sleeping. :(
Holmes
Elf Recruit

Postby Droll » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:42 am

Holmes wrote:Maybe I'm getting old, but I like actually getting to finish games I play without them requiring 200 hours of playtime. Sinking that much into a game is really difficult to fit between work, eating, and sleeping. :(

I can't help it. I've always liked suici..solo attacking orc forts and this game has plenty of strongholds.

But, I feel ya. I can't get through all of games like Skyrim. Luckily this one can be 100% finished in like 30 or 40 hours.
[A burning comet headed straight for your head is online. Use NOTIFY to reply in kind.]
Droll
Honored Dwarf

Postby krelm » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:19 pm

You know what sucks? Rapid fire exploding arrow regenerating hate of pain crossbow orcs whose only weakness is fear of caragors.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Hawkwind » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:27 pm

Holmes wrote:
Eugene wrote:My friends beat it and near 100-percented it in under 20 hours. Would not buy.

Post 2005 I think, before then they came finished and did not often require a season pass or day 1 DLC.
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Eugene » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:57 pm

Hawkwind wrote:
Holmes wrote:

Post 2005 I think, before then they came finished and did not often require a season pass or day 1 DLC.

Pretty much this. If we're talking about a game that has a definitive start and finish and is not free-roam or multiplayer, they typically took you more than 20 hours to complete unless you were particularly good at it or if the game was designed to be that short.
Eugene
Dwarf Recruit

Postby radioactivejesus » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:53 am

Hawkwind wrote:
Holmes wrote:

those were the days. At least we still have dwarf fortress
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby tehkory » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:18 pm

Eugene wrote:
Hawkwind wrote:
Holmes wrote:Since when is 20 hours a bad amount of time for a triple A game?

Pretty much this. If we're talking about a game that has a definitive start and finish and is not free-roam or multiplayer, they typically took you more than 20 hours to complete unless you were particularly good at it or if the game was designed to be that short.

This is pretty ignorant of how quick and short a lot of fps games were, and various action games as well. Often the only difference in total content for a lot of these games was skill and artificial difficulty. Games of the action variety aren't shorter in a lot of ways, especially considering the punishing difficulty. Take a look at Megaman games. Legend of Zelda? Metroid? GoldenEye? Turn these games on the higher difficulties right from the start, then you'll see higher levels of playtime. Content for content, though...your arguments aren't as strong as they just populist. That's even ignoring the ever increasing complexity of development itself.

I've bought a couple day one DLCs. I've never been dissatisfied. I've also played games without buying the day one DOC and been perfectly happy going without. As ever, vote with your wallet.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Eugene » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:13 pm

tehkory wrote:This is pretty ignorant of how quick and short a lot of fps games were, and various action games as well. Often the only difference in total content for a lot of these games was skill and artificial difficulty. Games of the action variety aren't shorter in a lot of ways, especially considering the punishing difficulty. Take a look at Megaman games. Legend of Zelda? Metroid? GoldenEye? Turn these games on the higher difficulties right from the start, then you'll see higher levels of playtime. Content for content, though...your arguments aren't as strong as they just populist. That's even ignoring the ever increasing complexity of development itself.

I've bought a couple day one DLCs. I've never been dissatisfied. I've also played games without buying the day one DOC and been perfectly happy going without. As ever, vote with your wallet.

Never did I think that criticizing the current state of game design and development would get me labeled as a "populist."

radioactivejesus wrote:those were the days. At least we still have dwarf fortress

Tarn Adams is a genius. The code for that game blows my mind.
Eugene
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Hawkwind » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:26 pm

I am out.
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Celairel » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:39 am

I was looking forward to this game a HUGE amount, and I have to admit to being a bit disappointed in it. I guess I expected more of an RPG element to it, more world-depth, etc. I dislike the fact that there is literally no way to save a game or even go back to a checkpoint, that every death has a consequence in that the captains get stronger, and I also find it extremely frustrating when I'm focusing on killing one captain (and fifteen of his friends) and then three more captains show up.

But as frustrated as I am, and despite it being the middle of midterms, I keep picking it back up again. I guess my question is, does it get better or does it mostly stay like this? And I'm speaking as a huge fan of the AC franchise.
Celairel
Forum Hobbit

Return to Out of Character Chatter

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login