It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:22 am
Change font size

Out of Character Chatter

Lord of the Rings Double Trilogy Marathon

Want to hang out and have a friendly, off-topic discussion with your fellow players and the staff? This is the place to do it.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Lord of the Rings Double Trilogy Marathon

Postby AdamBlue » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:20 am

So, by the name of the title, you'd call me insane. And yes, I probably am. I'm probably nuts. However, sometime in the near future, I'll probably be staging a...

LORD OF THE RINGS DOUBLE TRILOGY MARATHON

At some point. Probably after the last Hobbit movie comes out, and I have a good-looking video of it.

Or, if the last hobbit movie is any indication of how long the others will be, the movie marathon should run for Twenty two hours straight. Are you a bad enough dude to watch all of it in one sitting?]

Anyway, there is plenty of time to prepare, but be expecting this sometime in the future. I sat through the original trilogy a few months back, and it was 12 hours of comfiness.
AdamBlue
Dwarf Recruit

Re: Lord of the Rings Double Trilogy Marathon

Postby Hawkwind » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:24 pm

I might try this.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby LadyMizra » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:36 pm

I want to do it with you my friend.... INVITE ME!!! :P
LadyMizra
Dwarf Recruit

Postby cfelch » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:04 pm

Used to be a New Year's tradition with my mother to watch a series of movies.
All of Star Trek in one sitting can be quite draining, even for Trekkies, but I would not be opposed to doing it for Tolkien.
I'm not sure if I have seen all of the one that's finished even.
Every point ever made was an argument.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby Nimrod » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:16 am

Can you do this in some kind of Google Hangout? We can all watch together and marvel at everyone's witty commentary. Oi.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby mongwen » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:21 am

Sounds like massive amounts of fun. I haven't seen all of the hobbit yet. Getting old and grouchy in my not-so-old age and even apart from prices, I don't take much pleasure in theatre trips, so I'm waiting till I've got all of them on DVD.
A yellow-eyed, blotchy-fleshed brown uruk slowly slunks over, sneakily swaggering with a sleek step.
mongwen
Honored Dwarf

Postby cfelch » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:23 pm

Personally, I enjoy the theater experience more.
That and I am losing my materialistic drive.
With advances in technology I find my self neither going to the theater nor buying hard copy, but rather just waiting to see it on Netflix.
So if we are going to organize a sitin like this, someone may need to stream it.
Plenty of ways to go about that at least.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby LadyMizra » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:45 pm

cfelch wrote:Personally, I enjoy the theater experience more.
That and I am losing my materialistic drive.
With advances in technology I find my self neither going to the theater nor buying hard copy, but rather just waiting to see it on Netflix.
So if we are going to organize a sitin like this, someone may need to stream it.
Plenty of ways to go about that at least.

I just torrent everything I watch XD
LadyMizra
Dwarf Recruit

Postby mongwen » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:14 pm

Believe it or not I've never ever tried netflicks. Any way to actually download the stuff or does it just stream? If it was just me I wouldn't bother with the DVDs since I'm blind, but my dad has eyes and rather enjoys using them on the TV screen, so he'll end up with the DVDs and we'll probably watch it together.
A yellow-eyed, blotchy-fleshed brown uruk slowly slunks over, sneakily swaggering with a sleek step.
mongwen
Honored Dwarf

Postby cfelch » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:40 am

You can stream it, or receive discs in the mail that you have to return to get more.
I just stream it.
Side note, most game consoles and new generation TV sets have an app for Netflix, so streaming doesn't mean it can't be seen there.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby Songweaver » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:10 am

This is how I spent my yesterday. The Hobbit Marathon pre-release at IMAX, and then LOTR at home.

And sue me for the blasphemy, but The Hobbit trilogy was better. This new film is the best of all six of them. Only two (minor) complaints?

1) Elf/Dwarf love story insinuation in The Hobbit trilogy. This slap in the face to canon was certainly eased by the hotness that is Evangeline Lilly.

2) Not enough Beorn. The lack of the most badass of characters from The Hobbit was somewhat eased by a new phrase (spoiler!):

Bear-Nuke!

Don't believe the critics. They're idiots. The new film's great. They even touch on some subtler mythological points, like Gold and the "Morgoth Element".
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Brian » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:36 am

I've never been on the hater bandwagon for the Hobbit Trilogy, and I'm pleased to hear that you're pleased with the conclusion, Songweaver! I just watched the Desolation of Smaug two days ago and though it's enjoyable I can't say that it matched, for me, the original trilogy. I didn't feel as invested in the struggles of the characters. I'm not sure if that is down to the actors (though I do think that Martin Freeman has done very well with Bilbo) or a weakness in the writing.

Still, I'm looking forward to the conclusion, even if Jackson has done some things with the Hobbit trilogy that I wouldn't have. I recognize that it is his artistic vision, and though it isn't my vision, I can respect that he has his own ideas and has made them into this massive project. I think he's done better than many others would have!
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Songweaver » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:02 am

I think that the middle movies in both trilogies are the weakest of their three. That said, I do feel like this newest film takes the storylines presented in the other Hobbit films and both builds upon the depth of the characters, and executes satisfying sub-plot conclusions for pretty much everything (except Beorn - not enough Beorn). Even characters that shouldn't be there (Tauriel and Legolas) contribute in a meaningful, and mostly canon-suplementary way to the overall story, with more depth than elves (including Legolas) were given in the LOTR Trilogy.

Plus, the best fight scenes belong to the end of this film, by far. Azog and Bolg are incredible, and it's nice to see some important orcs get to be star antagonists here, since they are usually resigned to being meaningless fodder without any sense of personal history or motivation in the LOTR Trilogy.

Once the film comes out and you folks see it, I'll be interested to read your thoughts on it.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Eru » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:34 am

Songweaver had the right of it, best movie of the trilogy hands down.
Eru
Guide

Postby Eugene » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:13 am

As long as it's mid-January, I'd be down. I'll start hoarding alcohol.
Eugene
Dwarf Recruit

Postby ThinkTwice » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:31 am

I feel like the subtitle of the most recent movie was "The Hobbit: Why Willpower Is Important For Everyone, Yes, Even Dwarf Fighters".
ThinkTwice
Honored Dwarf

Postby Songweaver » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:41 am

Or, "The Hobbit: I Guess That's Why They Call it Elfy Love".
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Frigga » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:30 am

1) Elf/Dwarf love story insinuation in The Hobbit trilogy. This slap in the face to canon was certainly eased by the hotness that is Evangeline Lilly.

2) Not enough Beorn. The lack of the most badass of characters from The Hobbit was somewhat eased by a new phrase (spoiler!):

I concur with this. I've waited 23 years to watch Beorn stomping orcs from the time that I first listened to the Hobbit on tape that I got for Christmas as a child. What happened with that crushed my soul because #2 was basically set aside for #1.

Which I'm not really added as much depth to the storyline that someone imagined it did.

So, now I'll just hope that the inevitable Extended Edition will give me the Beorn hulking-bear-rage that I crave.
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby Nimrod » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:43 pm

I enjoyed the movie very much. Did anyone catch the bit player calling out, "He's probably halfway down the Anduin by now!" while they were standing on the shore of Long Lake? :lol:
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Songweaver » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:12 am

I saw that!

And re: Frigga - yes. I am guessing that there will be more Beorn in the Extended Cut.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Return to Out of Character Chatter

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login