It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:17 am
Change font size

Out of Character Chatter

Behind the username

Want to hang out and have a friendly, off-topic discussion with your fellow players and the staff? This is the place to do it.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Behind the username

Postby Nyneve » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:22 pm

Personally, I think it's interesting to view people on the forums as people rather than names on a screen. It helps me, anyway, remember to try and always be kind even when I disagree, or when we argue.

So, who are you? What do you like to do? You obviously don't need to put like, your real name and address and social security number or anything. But yeah.

I'm Nyneve.
I'm 22.
I'm married.
I live in the deep south of the USA.
I'm in college. If all goes well (aka I don't fail Spanish), I'm graduating in December.
My favorite color is forest green.
I have 2 cats, Merlin and Turnip. They're both ambiguously named girls and I love them more than people.
My favorite food is probably barbecue.
I put hot sauce on just about anything that isn't sweet. Tobasco is king. I love spicy food.
I can probably outdrink you, despite being a white girl.
That's because my drink of choice is straight whiskey. Maker's Mark, Jack Daniels, sometimes Fireball in the winter.
Other than that, I drink obscene amounts of coffee. Black.
I have green eyes and auburn hair. I'm pale. It sucks.
I write stupid amounts of poetry.

I like reading, running, frequent Netflix binges, swimming, watching the World Cup, going to football games, and building things. (I'm the fix-it person in our little household.)

Oh, and uhh... USA!USA!USA! I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!
“Then he called him Maeglin, which is Sharp Glance, for he perceived that the eyes of his son were more piercing than his own, and his thought could read the secrets of hearts beyond the mist of words.”
Nyneve
Dwarf Recruit

Re: Behind the username

Postby BoogtehWoog » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:28 pm

You're Nyneve? I'm Nyneve. :x

Also, nice to meet you.

I'm BoogtehWoog.
I'm 28.
I'm not married.
I live in the Appalachian Highlands.
I'm not really doing anything.
No favorite colors.
No pets.
No favorite food.
You can probably outdrink me. I start feeling it pretty heavily after two beers.
I like coffee.
I have black hair. Brown eyes. I'm olive-skinned.
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby Icarus » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:14 pm

Nyneve needs to get her husband back on the bloody game!!
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Olthadir » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:02 pm

I'm Olthadir.
I'm 32.
I'm married and have a wonderful year old daughter.
I live in the far north. And I mean far north. 61 degrees north. In Canada.
I'm a high school teacher. I teach English and Social studies.
My favourite colour is deep blue.
I have two cats, Mr. Stink and Monkey. I also have one dog named Crosby.
My favourite food is pizza. Because cheese.
Sirracha is better than Tabasco in my opinion.
You probably can out drink me. I love beer and maple whisky. Because Canadians do that.
I really dislike coffee. Never drink it. My drink of choice is water. Or maple whisky.
I have brown eyes, brown hair and olive skin.
I write things but am convinced it's not good, so I play SoI.

I love reading, but having a daughter is really a time drain on that. TV sucks, movies are fun, but haven't been in a theatre in about four years because there are no theatres this far north (there are, but not near me). Video games are my vice of choice. Namely old school Final Fantasy games and Zelda.
Olthadir
Honored Dwarf

Postby BoogtehWoog » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:24 pm

Hi, Olthadir. Nice to meet you.
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby Red » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:36 pm

23 from New Zealand.

Work in the insurance industry, primarily high value homes and vehicles.

Played SOI since 2004.

Live with a flatmate.

I love drinking on the weekends.

I am looking forward to SOI becoming my number one priority.

<3

Me and the ladygirl
Red
Forum Hobbit

Postby Pinklepea » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:01 pm

Pinklepea, formerly Luckifyre
I was 20-something the last time I played SoI. Now 30-something.
Married-ish, to someone from this community. Will be 3 years next month.
We live in a state that most Americans can't seem to identify or locate but it's on the East Coast.
We both work full time.
We have two furry four-legged children. One weighs 100lbs and barks. The other weighs 8 lbs and meows.
Vorondil: Nimrod will run me over with his tractor if I do
Pinklepea
Forum Hobbit

Postby Yoink » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:14 pm

I'm Yoink.
I'm 21.
I'm not married.
I live in the blackest pits of the underworld- Australia.
I want to study Graphic Design but am too poor and lazy.
My favourite colour is... hm. Either snot green or pale blue.
I sort-of have a cat named Cassius. He used to be rather violent by cat-standards but now he is too fat to be bothered attacking people most of the time.
I like hot mustard and spicy salsa... not sure if I can handle too much of it, though.
OH YEAH?! BRING IT ON.
I drink a lot of coffee, iced or hot. Usually with milk. I used to like black coffee for a long time but then suddenly I stopped. *shrug* Not sure what's up with that.
I have poop-coloured eyes and poop-coloured hair.
Kinda running out of stuff to say. I think that's about it.
I like loud music, and see a lot of it live each weekend :)
Droll wrote:You know they are going to sic an ent on us right?
Forest fire prpt tonight. Bring torches.
Yoink
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Jeshin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:58 pm

I'm Jeshin
I'm mid-20s
I'm not married (dating WildGiller though)
I live in Arizona where the shade is 20 degrees cooler
I'm a professional daytrader, yeay markets (we're doomed fyi)
I have 3 cats (from WildGiller) and a dog.
I like green tabasco more than red
Bacardi is my drink of choice, Puerto Rican's breath it.
Jeshin
Elf Recruit

Postby Hazgarn » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:00 am

I'm Hazgarn
I'm 29.
I'm not married.
I live in California.
My favorite color is moss green.
I have a dog named Honey (who was a rescue, as I never would have named her that). She's a tiny little mutt who is half blink dog, half secret terrier, all trouble. But worth it.
(Also 9 times out of 10 she's sitting on my lap while I play.)
Given the choice, I will usually choose peanutbutter over chocolate.
One of my favorite drinks is orange juice mixed with tomato juice, which many people think is disgusting... And which you can mix with vodka to create a Bloody Screwdriver. ;)
I write obscene amounts of (often equally obscene) fanfiction.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby Onasaki » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:17 am

My name is Onasaki.
I am 22 years old, soon to be 23 in August.
My favorite color is Orange.
My favorite food is anything from Taco Bell, and Pizza.
I have four cats, two dogs, and a cockatiel.

And I want to be child psychologist, but have no money.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby Rivean » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:58 am

My name is Rivean. I will be 31 in September. Which means the rest of y'all young whippersnapper types ought to stay off my lawn.

I've been playing or not-playing-but-lurking on SoI for years, I don't remember exactly when I started. Twpaige once described me affectionately as a 'bleeding heart liberal' and I take great pride in that label.

I am a sex-positive feminist. I'm an atheist - though I try not to be a dogmatic one. Your beliefs might influence your politics (which really, are just a different set of beliefs) but neither can decide whether you're a person worth spending time with, and so I try to respect all people equally, and build bridges instead of burning them, despite the fact that I live in Pakistan, and you know, we're kind of famous for blowing things up. I'm also bisexual.

I met Eltanimras on SoI. I love her very much. We've been married for three years. She's quite possibly the only person I've ever met who is smarter than I am. Incidentally, I may come across as full of myself in text, but I've been told I'm really easy to be around in person.

Up until recently, I taught O level English and A level Economics. As of right now I have a short story in the shortlist at a very prestigious science fiction magazine - hopefully very soon I'll be able to call myself a published, professionally paid author. (Holmes has read an early draft of this story, it evolved from a PC application for Parallel that I ended up never using).

I've also in the past been a semi-professional musician (there was a music video, and several songs that were recorded and never released). This probably sounds a whole lot more glamorous than it was.

All in all, I enjoy being me. Specially the part about being married to Eltanimras - did I mention I love her?
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby tehkory » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:14 am

I am Teh Kory. I would have been The Kory, for I came first, but there was a filing error, and by the time it got sorted there were other Korys. The Thomas Edisons of Korys, they are!

Oh, and I was Agent47 on SoI-that-was and Grandpa on 'tonement and Parallelograms.

I am forever 18, or maybe 21. There are lies spread about how I am 28, however.
I tyrannically changed my birthday after three years of deadly, shitty birthdays in a row.
I work for a charity. It feels really good.
I am terminally lazy. One of these days I will die of this laziness.
I am bad with communication(especially remembering to communicate). I probably like you.
I'm accidentally sarcastic all the time.
I'm married. I lost my wedding ring less than three hours after the wedding, and no more than 45 minutes after I left. I have somehow convinced my wife that I am a decent husband, but this is not true.
My landlord won't let me get a puppy. I use this regularly to convince my wife to buy me things. It still works, somehow. Ask Holmes.
All of my PCs make horrific puns. I really can't stop. Please, send help.
I live in the Appalachian foothills.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby teepu » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:46 am

I'm teepu
29 years old, reaching 30 in a couple of months...
I stumbled across SOI in 2010 and since then "every" time i am skimming the web, I have middle-earth.us opened in one of my tabs. Also I'm still trying to figure out how to role play :/
I am a doctor and married. Met my wife in the med school.
Hailing from Pakistan myself, it was nice to see someone from around here on SOI (yeah that's you Rivean) and No, I don't like to blow things up.
I also sometimes ghost write.
teepu
Guide

Postby Nimrod » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:49 am

Rivean wrote:My name is Rivean. I will be 31 in September. Which means the rest of y'all young whippersnapper types ought to stay off my lawn.

Psh.

Rivean wrote:I've been playing or not-playing-but-lurking on SoI for years, I don't remember exactly when I started. Twpaige once described me affectionately as a 'bleeding heart liberal' and I take great pride in that label.

I've heard through the grapevine that ol' tw may have started leaning a bit more to the left...

Heaven help us.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby twpaige » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:58 am

twpaige - yes I'm leaning more to the left lately. Dammit.
Rivean's a young whipper-snapper to me and I'm a young one compared to a very select few. You don't need to know the details, but my age is in the double digits.

Teh fat cat is my friend and I hope I'm his. I think a lot of you, dude.
twpaige

Postby Kitzilla » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:30 am

Hi! I'm Kitzilla.

I just turned 29.
In 7.5 months I will be marrying the man of my dreams (who also happens to be part of this community). (OMG 7.5 months :shock: )
I live in the USA in a tropical hell with the world's worst drivers. Great malls, though.
I have a big-kid job! I do marketing and advertising for a super-massive fortune 500 company. I got this job by accident but they liked me enough to keep me. Yay!
I have two cats, both rescues, named Beckett and Raz (short for Razum-Dar, for all of you Elder Scrolls Online fans).
My favorite foods are blueberries and sushi.
I see your Tabasco sauce and raise you Scorpion pepper sauce! Also have a mad love affair with Sriracha (as does my intended, so there's no jealousy there).
You can outdrink me, hands-down. But I love me some margaritas.
So much coffee...I like mine with stevia and almond milk. Mmm.
I have brown eyes and, at the moment, a blonde ombre. It's not natural. I too am pale...I can't go outside for too long (see: tropical hell)
I sometimes write poems and am forever writing songs - used to be on the guitar, now on the piano or just sung, and often to/about my cats.

How about that Spain-Netherlands upset, huh? Shame Spain didn't show up to play at the World Cup. :twisted:
Kitzilla
Verified Member

Postby BoogtehWoog » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:22 am

Onasaki wrote:And I want to be child psychologist, but have no money.

That's how you get the money! You got it all backwards, Onasaki. :ugeek:

Also, nice to meet you all.
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby wayani » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:29 am

Boog follows me wherever I go. Had to beat him away from the Armageddon forums, and now... *pushes sleeves up*

Trust, s/he is not the real boog. I am the real boog! :lol: Teasing.

Boog is a name a fellow player of SOI called me. Wayani is just my name in Tsalagi.

And whaddya know? I'm a liberal too.

Also -- good god. The day twpaige says he approves of universal health care is the day I eat my hat!!! <3
Last edited by wayani on Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wayani
Verified Member

Postby wayani » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:31 am

Pinklepea wrote:Pinklepea, formerly Luckifyre
I was 20-something the last time I played SoI. Now 30-something.
Married-ish, to someone from this community. Will be 3 years next month.
We live in a state that most Americans can't seem to identify or locate but it's on the East Coast.
We both work full time.
We have two furry four-legged children. One weighs 100lbs and barks. The other weighs 8 lbs and meows.

Also - because I can double post, since I can double post - I always think of Wayne's World when I think of you, Pinkle. <3
wayani
Verified Member

Postby Hawkwind » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:46 am

twpaige wrote:twpaige - yes I'm leaning more to the left lately. Dammit.
Rivean's a young whipper-snapper to me and I'm a young one compared to a very select few. You don't need to know the details, but my age is in the triple digits.

Teh fat cat is my friend and I hope I'm his. I think a lot of you, dude.

You are too modest my wise friend!
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby ThinkTwice » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:11 am

Hello, ThinkTwice here. Username comes from the song that was playing when it was time to register; big Eve 6 fan. Been playing off and on for a long time, though the breaks have been pretty substantial, heh.

I turn 25 here'n just a few days.
I'm married, but haven't really seen my wife in almost two years now, which has been pretty rough.
I have a bachelor's in Psychology, with a focus in Industrial/Organizational.
I'm in the US Army, working as an interrogator and source operator; 35M, for those of you in the know.
I'm currently living in Seoul, South Korea, but have spent a lot of time in New Orleans and the southern Illinois area. Miss Mardi Gras and po boys like you wouldn't believe. :evil: I'll be moving to Monterey, California here in a few months to learn Arabic, which will be pretty exciting.
My favorite food is currently these waffles they serve here as streetfood. You give 'em 1,000 won (~$1), they cook you a fresh waffle, apply a layer of cream, apply a layer of honey. It's amazing.
Most definitely a Sriracha fan. Managed a restaurant for awhile and it was one of our ingredients; inventory order for the rooster sauce went through the roof when I got access to the kitchen. :twisted:
The drinking culture here in the Army + the drinking culture here in Korea = a pretty mean alcohol tolerance. Rum is usually my drink of choice, 'cause who doesn't wanna feel like a pirate.
I'm skipping the physical description because I'm paranoid like that, but I'm not really that pale. :) Sunburnt at the moment from a cycling trip today; got conned into a 25 mile bike trip by a buddy. Hungover cycling is just as much fun as it sounds.
I write in dribs and drabs of my off-time, mostly short stories from the tabletop RPG's I run/play in. (Werewolf: The Apocalypse > Other White Wolf > Pathfinder > Don't Rest Your Head) Working on writing a series of short stories for this place when I get the spare time, mostly revolving old adventures had here.
ThinkTwice
Honored Dwarf

Postby Stoneturtle » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:38 pm

Hi! I'm Stoneturtle.

I'm one of the select few TW Paige is talking about :) I'm going to be 55 next week. I've been married for 34 years to a great guy.

We have one 25 year old daughter who graduated from the Air Force Academy in '11 and is a 1st Lieutenant in charge of about 150 aircraft maintenance guys. AMU OIC for those of you in the know. She got married last year. No grandbabies yet, but she's started talking about it. I look forward to grandbabies!

I served in the US Navy as an electronics technician, was discharged in 1980 in Silicon Valley, which was a very fortuitous time and place for a young electronics technician! I worked in computers ever since. My husband and I now have a little consulting business, but otherwise I'm largely retired. He's still working a regular job too.

We have plans to build a little cabin on my father's farm in Kentucky and call it quits any year now. He wants an RC plane runway he can see from the front porch, and I want chickens and a garden.

I played SoI for a number of years, then Atonement, then Armageddon. I'm delighted to be back here with old friends.

Food! Food occupies a lot of my day as I am a recently diagnosed diabetic. So I spend a lot of time making bread and other things like ice cream from scratch so I can actually eat them. I don't mind it most days! My favorite food would be a medium-rare filet mignon, charbroiled with bacon wrapped around it, and mushrooms and steak fries soaking in the meat juice. But I'd have to skip the fries these days, or at least most of them.

I have blue eyes and used to have dark brown hair, but it's silver now.

I like reading and gaming and cooking. I am presently on a 2-year streak of reading detective novels. Before that it was military fiction, and for all the years before that, sci fi and fantasy. I tend to find an author I like and read everything they've written before moving on to the next.
Stoneturtle
Forum Hobbit

Postby BoogtehWoog » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:50 pm

Nice to meet the rest of you all/or to see old faces again. Glad to have you all here. :)
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby Forceknight » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:34 am

I'm Andrew, 23, from New Zealand. My username comes from the fact that I had a copy of Jedi Knight Outkast on my desk when I was doing the registration process.

I started SoI when I was in high school and played from around ages 14-18, at the time we were probably the youngest people playing and we were pretty immature / terrible at RP in the early days. At one point I think making new accounts from New Zealand was banned cos of the metagaming a couple of my old friends did (I remember cos I had to get special permission from Traithe so my brother could make a new account). Eventually only those of us who enjoyed the RP side kept playing (there was around 5 of us playing "properly") and I feel like we matured a lot by playing SoI instead of other big online games that were popular at the time.

We used to talk at school about the sweet things our individual characters got up to the night before (cos we didn't always play in the same spheres) which I guess is considered sharing OOC information but we all had an extreme honor code never to act on that OOC info. I feel like my skills at speedtyping and English literacy really benefited from playing SoI at that comparatively young age, as did my love of the English language in general.

I graduated high school around the same time I stopped playing SoI and went to University for 3 years, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature / Media Studies. It's now been a few years since University and I'm back in my hometown, living with a group of friends and at the moment just working part time. I'm not really making use at all of my degree, but the reality of living in New Zealand is that you have to live in one of the three main cities to get a job that requires a BA and unfortunately I love the rural lifestyle too much to do that at this point.

I have a lot of really great memories of SoI from back in the day and I'm really excited to play again :)
Forceknight
Forum Hobbit

Next

Return to Out of Character Chatter

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login