It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:23 pm
Change font size

Out of Character Chatter

Behind the username

Want to hang out and have a friendly, off-topic discussion with your fellow players and the staff? This is the place to do it.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Behind the username

Postby Zargen » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Zargen. Sometimes known as Konin and Tyrant.
Brandon
Been single for about a year. Feels great. Haven't been for the past 8 years.
Imma Chef. I make bomb steaks pretty much all day long. Had a guy come in last night who was a competitive eater. Probably shouldn't have let him see the all-you-can-eat sign for steak dinners. Ended up putting down three pounds of meat.
Like a few of us I live in the dirty south. Arkansas to be specific. Any of you guys wanna hang out some time shoot me a PM. Cant stand most the folks around here :roll: I'm a San Diegan native.
Been playing SOI consistently since 2003. Thats a long time.
This is what I look like.

Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby WorkerDrone » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:03 pm

Zargen got swole.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby Tiamat » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:58 am

I am Tiamat.

I'm 23 years old now, though I'd be cool if I just stayed at that number forever. My original username came from Atonement when it came time to choose an admin avatar. I thought being called an Eater of Worlds from Mesopotamian mythology was cool. In past incarnations, I was known as FY610 on SOI (it's a combination of my birthday and real name, I was really brilliant at the age of 14 in 2005), then briefly Tah on Atonement.

I graduated with a BA in History in 2012, but am currently working towards getting a Computer Science degree, because, well, that's a lot more practical and I do enjoy programming.

I do not own any pets at the moment, though I will probably buy a bird or a cat when I am settled in. I have a pretty good alcohol tolerance for being Asian, though that isn't saying a WHOLE LOT. I can drink at least a few shots of Jack Daniels before falling flat onto the table.
Tiamat
Honored Elf

Postby Santi » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:47 pm

Hi, I'm Santi. My username came about because Raphael is my favourite TMNT but I was being coy about that at registration time. I've also been known as Matua and Elladan, back in old-SoI, as an imm.

I'm from New Zealand. Around the same area as ForceKnight originally, I think, and yeah started playing not too long before being from New Zealand meant that you needed special permission to play. I've grown up a lot since then, I promise.

In fact, I now have a law degree. And a BA in English and Linguistics. I'm trying to get a job writing legislation but until then I'm working in security, as I have been since I started university. I'm 24, so I'm hoping to get a real job soon.

I'm engaged and moving to Boston to live with my fiancee as soon as the mighty United States Government will let me. Thankfully working nights means I'm pretty much on CST. I say thankfully because it means higher rates of online players. It has nothing to do with being able to talk to my fiancee, but don't tell her that. We met while she was on exchange to my university, and I've been getting a lot of frequent flyer miles since then. It's not that bad, really. It'll just be way better when I get to touch her face whenever I want.

My drink of choice is whisky. I've got a shop I go to regularly with a great selection, but if I had to pick a favourite I'd say Green Spot. If there's no whisky I drink beer. Dark beer.

I have red hair and a lumberjack beard. I like playing kubb and I'm a Penguins fan. I've won a few national public speaking competitions, I've been trying to write a novel for about two years, and I think I've said enough now.
Let me be your pupil; I will soon become your master.
Santi
Verified Member

Postby Red » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:13 am

Forceknight wrote:I'm Andrew, 23, from New Zealand. My username comes from the fact that I had a copy of Jedi Knight Outkast on my desk when I was doing the registration process.

I started SoI when I was in high school and played from around ages 14-18, at the time we were probably the youngest people playing and we were pretty immature / terrible at RP in the early days. At one point I think making new accounts from New Zealand was banned cos of the metagaming a couple of my old friends did (I remember cos I had to get special permission from Traithe so my brother could make a new account). Eventually only those of us who enjoyed the RP side kept playing (there was around 5 of us playing "properly") and I feel like we matured a lot by playing SoI instead of other big online games that were popular at the time.

We used to talk at school about the sweet things our individual characters got up to the night before (cos we didn't always play in the same spheres) which I guess is considered sharing OOC information but we all had an extreme honor code never to act on that OOC info. I feel like my skills at speedtyping and English literacy really benefited from playing SoI at that comparatively young age, as did my love of the English language in general.

I graduated high school around the same time I stopped playing SoI and went to University for 3 years, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature / Media Studies. It's now been a few years since University and I'm back in my hometown, living with a group of friends and at the moment just working part time. I'm not really making use at all of my degree, but the reality of living in New Zealand is that you have to live in one of the three main cities to get a job that requires a BA and unfortunately I love the rural lifestyle too much to do that at this point.

I have a lot of really great memories of SoI from back in the day and I'm really excited to play again :)

Sup bro, we getting on the drinks this weekend? Lol.
Red
Forum Hobbit

Postby jimhabegger » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:07 am

My wife and I are US citizens currently living in China. We also lived in Martinique for fourteen years, from 1983 to 1997. I'm from Indiana and Illinois, and she's from Iowa, Texas, California and the east coast. She's teaching English at a university, and I'm retired. I help her with some of the work she does for her classes. I also do origami with children on Sundays, at the English Corner at the city library.

We used to have cats, but the one we had in Martinique disappeared when we moved back to the US, and we've never had one since.

Some occupations I've worked in have been computer programming and help desk, management consulting, research in water resources, research in water purification for industrial purposes, economic and social research, moving and storage, accounting, funding research, landscaping, youth outreach, tool and die, and various kinds of manual labor. My first attempt at a University degree was in electrical engineering, but I failed every course in my fourth year, and when I went back to school four years later I switched to math, with a teaching certificate.

Some of my other interests are shopping with Patty; free software, creative commons and other initiatives for a more friendly and collaborative economy; mathematics, physics and logic; trying to solve puzzles and mysteries; nature trails and other exploring; science fiction; watching movies and TV shows with Patty; improving myself to help improve the world; learning to be the best person I can be and do all the good I can do; learning to work with my neighbors to help improve the community life for every person in the neighborhood; going to parks, museums, galleries etc. with Patty; learning to help improve the lives of the most ravaged people near and far; Internet discussions; WoW, Underlight Shades of Truth, and Shadows of Isildur; traveling with Patty; practicing and promoting better conduct on the Internet; fellowship across religious and other ideological divides; playing WoW with Patty; climbing trees; walking and working with the most stigmatized and marginalized people I see around me.

My life revolves around what I sometimes call learning to walk in the path of God, and I'm always hoping and dreaming of finding others who are trying to do that, so we can learn together.

Some of my favorite books have been science fiction books, and books by L. Frank Baum and by Tolkien. Apart from that I don't do favorite movies, favorite color, favorite music, etc.

My interest in role-playing goes way back, in fact maybe I never stopped enjoying make believe as I was growing up. I remember deciding that I didn't ever want to grow up, and I've succeeded in that to some degree.

The first I remember trying to play a role-playing game was with my family thirty or more years ago, trying to play Dungeons and Dragons. We never got past trying to define our characters. Now, thirty or more years later, I'm having the same problem. Ever since then, our son has done quite a bit of table-top role-playing, but the rest of us never found time for it.

Then in 2010, searching all over the Internet for other MMO games that Patty and I might like playing together besides WoW, I found Shadows of Isildur. It really appealed to me, but trying to define a character and background, and learning to emote and tell stories well enough to play without spoiling the rp for others, looked beyond my capacities to me. It still does!

Around the same time, I stumbled across Underlight Shades of Truth. From the description, I thought that it would be the kind of cooperative storytelling that I had always wanted to try, without being so demanding on my storytelling and rp skills. By the time I found out that it wasn't, I had developed personal interests in some of the characters and players, and their fellowships, and didn't want to leave them. Now that community has disintegrated, setting me free to try SOI, in the two or three hours once or twice a month that I might be available for it.

This spell checker is no good. It flags "Isildur" as a mistake.

(edited to add a thought)
Nyneve, I'm glad you started this. Reading this thread has helped me feel more at home here.
(end edit)
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Holmes » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:27 am

Hi! I'm Holmes, formerly Malkara. I am not a girl. This is an important fact, don't believe anything other people tell you.

My name is based off of HOLMES from the book, "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress", a sentient computer mainframe. The avatar was far more appropriate on Atonement (which I helped run) and Parallel (which I did run). However, I like the name, so I've stuck with it here- where I do very little.

I live in Tampa, Florida, and work for a tech start-up called DigitalOcean- a cloud hosting company that actually at the moment is where SoI resides. Interestingly, I heard of them because I helped set up SoI in its present incarnation- and the job I got was based off skills I acquired keeping Atonement and Parallel up and running. So, MUDs are responsible for my entire career, which lets me justify the hundreds and thousands of hours I spent playing them. :)

I spend most of my time working- which has meant that I am not able to spend nearly as much time as I'd like trying to make your lives miserable with my RPA powers. My scarce free time (and some of my work time) lately has been gobbled up by watching the World Cup and playing Football Manager 2014.
Holmes
Elf Recruit

Postby WorkerDrone » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:34 am

That's a pretty dress.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby Tepes » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:37 am

Am nerd. This me. Nerd me.

Dagorhir Name: Qualms

I do a lot of nerding out: Tabletop, "larping" (really just beating people with foam sticks), and MUDing. Which I've been doing since 2000 and playing SoI since 2002. Hurray.

Tepes
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hawkwind » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:38 pm

Go for the bollocks, Qualms, go for the bollocks. Aaaargh!
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Rivean » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:10 pm

Nyneve wrote:I'm Nyneve.
I'm 22.
I'm married.

So what's the deal with Aquaman?

teepu wrote:Hailing from Pakistan myself

Well, whaddaya know, there's another one!

teepu wrote:I also sometimes ghost write.

What do you write?

twpaige wrote:twpaige - yes I'm leaning more to the left lately. Dammit.

What? WHAT? Twpaige? Pinko liberal commie scum??!

Oh Tw. We always knew you had it in you. I'll mail you a pride membership card soon as I figure out where to get one. Now, I know you're getting on in years these days, but if it's any consolation, all the pretty people are on our side of the fence.

(No, seriously, what happened?!)

twpaige wrote:Teh fat cat is my friend and I hope I'm his. I think a lot of you, dude.

Man I REALLY wish that thread were somewhere around here still. I have never enjoyed myself more thoroughly. And yes, Teh fat cat <3 you, little birdie, so much so that the thought devouring that fluffy yellow bird didn't even once cross his maliciously feline mind.

(Well, okay, maybe once or twice. But the player still loves you!)

ThinkTwice wrote:I'm currently living in Seoul, South Korea.

My god. Dongdaemoon. Up the Subway exit (3? 5? 7? It was an odd number). 20 feet, first left. The Everest Restaurant. Chicken Tangri Kebab. Daal Makhani. Exquisite nan. Heaven.

Stoneturtle wrote:My favorite food would be a medium-rare filet mignon, charbroiled with bacon wrapped around it, and mushrooms and steak fries soaking in the meat juice.

I think I'm in love.

I remember back in the old days of fiery ideological debate (where art thou, Earendur? Actually, I think he's a page in the Senate or something like that), when we had this giant argument about something I'd rather not go into, and Stoneturtle said something like, (despite initially offering conservative reservations), this:

"You know, when I was young, I remember people arguing just like this about interracial marriage. I wonder if a generation down the line, like with the black and white thing, this just doesn't matter anymore."

She was the only person in that entire 8 page long flame-fest (and I remember there was some pretty offensive things said there), who said, 'I'm not really comfortable with this - but I suspect time will prove me wrong, and I don't resent that.'

I'd always had respect for you, ST, but that sort of sealed the deal for me.

Forceknight wrote:I have a lot of really great memories of SoI from back in the day and I'm really excited to play again :)

Man, I don't remember you as well as I would like - but I have to say, you've totally changed, and all for the better. "Is this articulate, intelligent man the same guy?"

Holmes wrote:Hi! I'm Holmes, formerly Malkara

I think I played (very briefly) with one character of yours - in Amdir, somebody important? Otherwise, it was mostly forums for you and me.

Tepes wrote:Real Name: Jimmy
Dagorhir Name: Qualms

Tepes is teh awesome. <3
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby soiacc » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:19 pm

I'm soiacc, Nic or Nicky irl. My username is just a mashing up of Shadows of Isildur and account. Brilliant, I know. I played Atonement first, where I was atoneacc, so I figured I'd do a similar name. Let's just say I smoked some things in my past that have given me a foggy memory.

I'm 34 and will be 34 again in August >> . I'm a chick. I guess you'd call me butch in appearance. I'm about as queer as a two dollar bill.

I have a degree in marketing that I don't use. I'm not married, though I -can- marry, since I live in Massachusetts. There goes -that- excuse, :P.

I only had a short time with the original SOI, coming over from Atonement after hearing about it. I regret not finding it sooner. Besides mudding I like to read fantasy/scifi books, watch/play sports, and yes softball is one of those I like to play. Football and baseball are my favorites. I think, living in Mass, it's a requirement to root for the Pats and the Sox.

I'm also into watching the Food Network and trying my hand at cooking with mixed results. I have played Chopped on my own sometimes with random items from my cupboards.

I'm half-white and half-black with pale to medium brown skin in the summer. I have curly, dark-brown hair (when it's not shaved down to stubble and faded up) and hazel eyes (amber brown with thin, dark-green rings around the edges).
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby Stoneturtle » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:32 pm

Rivean wrote:I'd always had respect for you, ST, but that sort of sealed the deal for me.

<3

Thank you.
Stoneturtle
Forum Hobbit

Postby LuckyV » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:44 am

I'm LuckyV
I'm 25
I'm 1.98 / 6'6"
I'm bachelor
I live in Eastern Europe
I used to study sociology, now I'm an account man in TV ad business
Would have to think really hard to say what my favourite anything is.
I don't use sauces/ketchups/whatever on food I eat.
Outdrink me? I'm an Eastern european working in ad business.
Maker's Mark btw - awesome. Though I got tired of bourbons and went to more European choices like Laphroaig. But then I got tired of whiskeys in general, so now I drink only high quality Tequila's and champagne.
Black coffee ftw.
Been playing RPIs for about twelve years.

LuckyV
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Hawkwind » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:51 am

Slav weapons are best weapons Lucky.
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby LuckyV » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:14 pm

Hawkwind wrote:Slav weapons are best weapons Lucky.

Though I'm not a slav, I'm balt. :)
LuckyV
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Brian » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:21 pm

LuckyV wrote:I used to study sociology, now I'm an account man in TV ad business

Despite everything else you listed, in my mind this phrase has turned you into Pete Campbell from Mad Men.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Hawkwind » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:30 pm

LuckyV wrote:
Hawkwind wrote:Slav weapons are best weapons Lucky.

Though I'm not a slav, I'm balt. :)

Then lets go bowling, Cousin!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby LuckyV » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:09 pm

Brian wrote:
LuckyV wrote:I used to study sociology, now I'm an account man in TV ad business

Despite everything else you listed, in my mind this phrase has turned you into Pete Campbell from Mad Men.

Great show! And does have quite a lot of reality in it. ;)
LuckyV
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Nyneve » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:25 pm

Rivean: Ol' Laz is doing okay! We keep very opposite hours right now because of his job and my job/school. He's basically on UK time while I'm still hanging out on CST. We're going on 3 years married now in July, and knowing us, we'll honestly probably go watch Godzilla or something and have pizza and beer at a local college-bar. We've never been overly romantic! :lol: At present, though, it seems he's through MUDding. I think he just got burned out and has moved on to equally green, but different fields.

Brian: Also instantly thought of Mad Men. Also, Pete Campbell is marrying Rory Gilmore IRL. Hurts my brain.

LuckyV: You look like a model. And I don't understand your lack of condiments. I almost can't eat food without something to pour on it or dip it into. I have literally stopped eating fries before because I ran out of dip.

Santi: The reds gotta stick together. There are dozens of us! DOZENS!

Even though I think I still technically count as a brunette. Is auburn brunette? I have no idea. Dark reddish. Whatever.

Here's me on a date with Aquahusband at said pizza bar like 2 weeks ago. We saw X-Men: Days of Future Past. It was awesome. I drank too much beer. And another, from a music festival in Atlanta last month. Instagram quality ftw. Really I'm just showing off because I lost 22 pounds since the last time SoI was open. *flex*

Image Image
“Then he called him Maeglin, which is Sharp Glance, for he perceived that the eyes of his son were more piercing than his own, and his thought could read the secrets of hearts beyond the mist of words.”
Nyneve
Dwarf Recruit

Postby BoogtehWoog » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:52 pm

All your drinking makes me want to become an alcoholic again.
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby Brian » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:42 pm

BoogtehWoog wrote:All your drinking makes me want to become an alcoholic again.

I probably shouldn't have laughed at this, but I had one short, sharp guffaw before feeling bad about it. I think it was meant to be a joke but then I thought it might not be and felt guilty.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Rivean » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:08 am

Nyneve wrote:Image Image

I saw the pictures before the text and my thoughts were, 'Woah, marriage totally suits Nyneve. She's super hot now.'

Also, the wife suggests that you move the pitcher out of the way next time. ("Because we're more interested in pretty girls than we are in beer!" she says.)
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby EltanimRas » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:18 am

Rivean wrote:I saw the pictures before the text and my thoughts were, 'Woah, marriage totally suits Nyneve. She's super hot now.'

Nyn was hot before. It's just that now she's tiny too. :shock:
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby shezzarine » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:33 am

Holmes wrote:Hi! I'm Holmes, formerly Malkara. I am not a girl. This is an important fact, don't believe anything other people tell you.

You're both a girl and a goddamned liar. I know this because Malkara ends with an "a" and is therefore feminine, making you a girl.

Nyneve wrote:I think he just got burned out and has moved on to equally green, but different fields.

Perhaps next time we could rephrase this so I'm not implied to be constantly doing the pot, tokin' the reef, or smoking phat blunts or whatever it is kids call it these days.

Interestingly, phat was recognized as an actual word by my spell check. Neat.
hrumph
shezzarine
Forum Hobbit

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Character Chatter

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login