It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:20 am
Change font size

Out of Character Chatter

Anyone else here with zero RP experience?

Want to hang out and have a friendly, off-topic discussion with your fellow players and the staff? This is the place to do it.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Anyone else here with zero RP experience?

Postby jimhabegger » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:47 am

Seriously, I mean zero point zero zero. I've never played any table-top RP game, beyond trying once to create a character to play Dungeons and Dragons with my family, which we never did. I've never played in any MUD. I've never played in any rich, collaborative storytelling game at all, and I've never written any stories of any kind. I have zero experience elaborating a character's appearance and actions, and very little experience even seeing it done.

The only time I've even tried, I failed miserably. I could never come up with any better than "leans back against the wall," "sighs," "frowns faintly," "nods," "raises his eyebrows," or "looks pensively at x."

I'm afraid that if and when I actually go into the game, I'll spoil the RP for anyone who has the misfortune to see me.

Is there anyone else here with zero RP experience, or who feels the way I do?
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Re: Anyone else here with zero RP experience?

Postby Yoink » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:07 am

Don't sweat it.
I've seen characters who were fun to be around despite barely using more than the basic socials! It's more a matter of knowing your character yourself, how they act and think and feel, and then converting that into emotes and dialogue. As long as you work out who your character is and do your best to show that, it'll work out- and descriptive, flowery fancy-pants emotes and such will come with time. :)

I know my first couple of RPI characters were pretty bland, that's for sure- and let's not even mention the time before that when I tried various other muds, haha.
Have fun, and hopefully I'll see you in game at some point!
Droll wrote:You know they are going to sic an ent on us right?
Forest fire prpt tonight. Bring torches.
Yoink
Dwarf Recruit

Postby jimhabegger » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:28 am

Yoink, thank you, that's comforting.

Another reason I'm looking for people as inexperienced as I am, is that after a lot of searching in the online help database, I found a page about commands that was much more helpful to me than anything else I've seen, and I thought about pointing it out, but it might not mean anything to anyone who is not as much of a novice as I am.

(edit) Actually not only about commands, but a lot of other information that helped me a lot in trying to find my way out of the fog. (end edit)
Last edited by jimhabegger on Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Letters » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:31 am

'help newbie' might still be around.

I don't think we have a primer for getting started on the forum yet. I'm almost certain we had one on old SoI. Should probably look at sticking one together for here, now you mention it.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby jimhabegger » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:42 am

I'll go ahead and post the link, then.

http://web.archive.org/web/200706260832 ... ng_started

I've barely scratched the surface of that, but that's by far the most helpful page that I've found, after searching through this site, the wiki, and the archive.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Letters » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:47 am

Yeah, that's the one. The information related to the setting, attributes and skills on that is now irrelevant, while some combat stuff is now out of date (most notably how the 'bind' command functions) but the rest - about writing characters and such in a general sense, and the basics of moving around and interacting with objects etc. - is good.

I miss that old website.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby BoogtehWoog » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:12 am

I started SOI back in 2005 and it was my first experience with MUDs and roleplaying. It was a learning experience, but you'll learn quick and I would be very happy to see you play. :D
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby jimhabegger » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:22 am

BoogtehWoog, and everyone else, I didn't think that anything any experienced players could say, could reassure me, but you surprised me!

I'm still concerned about spoiling the RP for others when I first start playing, but these welcoming responses relieve my anxiety a little, and what you said about picking it up quickly sounds plausible to me.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby EltanimRas » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:11 am

Starting out, I'd say it's far less important to be eloquent or literary than it is to be proactive. Ask questions, spread gossip, make complaints, request favors, admire details, crack jokes, etc.

As long as you're giving other players opportunities to express their PCs' quirks (by giving them stuff to react to), they'll be more than happy to play with you -- even if you're still figuring out how to portray your own character.

Just get that one step beyond "Hi," and you're on your way. Have fun!
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby jimhabegger » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:50 am

Good. Proactive I can do. Giving opportunities I can do.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Rivean » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:55 am

I'll second Eltanimras' excellent advice and take you further down that same road:

If you haven't got your character down yet and you're new, my advice to you would be make your character vocal and opinionated, regardless of what those opinions entail. By doing this, you're providing others with a point of reference from which they can RP with your PC.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Tiamat » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:32 am

If you're just starting out, just accept, that like everything else you start on, you're going to suck in the beginning. And that's okay. You aren't going to ruin everyone's fun. We all remember what it was like to first get into role-playing. The important thing is to enjoy the process, and to sit back and have fun.

Like others have said, be proactive in figuring out how things work. Actively participate in the scenes, no matter how bad you think you are. You'll improve faster, and you'll have more fun being in the thick of the action.

At the core, role-playing is being able to act. Granted, I mean in a textual format instead of on screen or on stage in this context. You'll learn how your own brain works and how to translate your character's dreams, feelings, and thoughts to a digestible format to others. It'll take time. You won't be good at it overnight. But if you like it, keep at it!
Tiamat
Honored Elf

Postby jimhabegger » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:38 pm

Rivean and Tiamat, thank you!

I've decided to lurk moar for a while, before I proceed any further.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Yoink » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:39 pm

Aw, come now!
There's no better way to learn than to jump right in- we don't bite! (well, unless we're playing orcs, and that's all IC, so don't worry!) :D
Droll wrote:You know they are going to sic an ent on us right?
Forest fire prpt tonight. Bring torches.
Yoink
Dwarf Recruit

Postby radioactivejesus » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:52 pm

jimhabegger wrote:The only time I've even tried, I failed miserably. I could never come up with any better than "leans back against the wall," "sighs," "frowns faintly," "nods," "raises his eyebrows," or "looks pensively at x."

Don't feel pressured into typing out paragraph long emotes from the get-go. Think of it this way, in scenes of a movie or play, you don't have every character in the spotlight at the same time. Even if you just remain in the background and throw out a few smaller emotes or speaks, you still contribute to the scene. I have a lot of pc's who start out as stoic background characters following a leader and then evolve into heroic/evil prima donnas over time. Just go at your own pace
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Hazgarn » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:34 am

There's a reason the saying goes that brevity is the soul of wit. You don't really need to have a dozen words in an emote when three will serve. Especially if those three words are just the right ones. The longer you play any character, the easier it gets to know which words are the right ones.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby jimhabegger » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:47 am

radioactivejesus and Hazgarn, thank you for those very comforting words!

Yoink, don't worry! I didn't mean I'm backing away from playing the game, or from participating in the discussions here. I'm still working on my character, and getting ready to play. I'm not worried any more about the emoting. The responses here have reassured me far more than I thought possible.

Partly what I meant was that I've been tempted to spam the forum with some of the thoughts that have been going through my mind, as I'm getting ready to play, and browsing through the SoI forums, Web pages and archives. I've decided to try to resist those temptations until after I lurk moar.

Another part of what I meant was that I do want to spend a few more hours learning about the game setting, history and relevant lore; and reading examples of the rp; before I start playing.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby radioactivejesus » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:18 pm

jimhabegger wrote:radioactivejesus and Hazgarn, thank you for those very comforting words!

Yoink, don't worry! I didn't mean I'm backing away from playing the game, or from participating in the discussions here. I'm still working on my character, and getting ready to play. I'm not worried any more about the emoting. The responses here have reassured me far more than I thought possible.

Partly what I meant was that I've been tempted to spam the forum with some of the thoughts that have been going through my mind, as I'm getting ready to play, and browsing through the SoI forums, Web pages and archives. I've decided to try to resist those temptations until after I lurk moar.

Another part of what I meant was that I do want to spend a few more hours learning about the game setting, history and relevant lore; and reading examples of the rp; before I start playing.

personally, I'd just get a character submitted and dive in. It's the fastest way to learn the game. There is an option to retire characters, so if you decide at a later date after researching that you want to try a different concept for a pc, there's nothing stopping you
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Hawkwind » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:38 pm

Do not be afraid to use the mail system on the log in screen to contact a player you admire. Despite the occasionl handbag fight we all have a desire to see more people join our story and improve.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby tehkory » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:52 pm

Hawkwind wrote:Do not be afraid to use the mail system on the log in screen to contact a player you admire. Despite the occasionl handbag fight we all have a desire to see more people join our story and improve.

Hobbitmail's disabled with no announced return just yet.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Hawkwind » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:21 pm

tehkory wrote:
Hawkwind wrote:Do not be afraid to use the mail system on the log in screen to contact a player you admire. Despite the occasionl handbag fight we all have a desire to see more people join our story and improve.

Hobbitmail's disabled with no announced return just yet.

Bugger. The sentiment remains true. PM people on here then.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby jimhabegger » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:41 pm

Hawkwind, thank you for the invitation to PM. I will!

Even if the mail system were working, I would have no idea how to use it, or who to write to, or how.

That reminds me: since I've never played a MUD before, it's going to take me some time for me to learn to use the commands. The first time I went into the guest lounge, I had no idea how to move, or talk, or look, or anything.

After I found those beginner's pages, I went back in, and switching back and forth between the game and the commands page, I was able to explore a little, and to practice emoting, but I'll still need a lot more practice, before I feel ready to play.

I have sent PM's to some people already, but I always have some doubts about doing that without an invitation. Uninvited PM's are not always welcome, and can even be troubling in some circumstances.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Meneldor » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:09 pm

You are welcome to PM me with some times you think you might be in the GL and I will try to visit as I can and help in any way I can.
Meneldor
Raptor Overlord

Postby jimhabegger » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:37 pm

Thank you, Meneldor! I will!

After reading Restrictions on Non-Standard Roles, I'm having some new doubts and questions about playing in ALPHA.

1. With my lack of experience, am I even eligible for ALPHA?

2. According to that post, the standard character has come to Utterby "in response to the promise of a fair wage for honest work." The character I want to play will not be in Utterby for economic reasons, except possibly very indirectly and marginally. I'm wondering now if I should create a different character from the one I had in mind, just for ALPHA, or try to adapt him to this situation, or submit a non-standard request.

3. I imagine that ALPHA has little, if any, of what attracted me to SoI. It will be yet another hurdle for me to leap over, on top of all the others I'm facing as a person with zero experience, before I can start doing what I came here to do. I'm not even sure yet that there will be anything in it that I was hoping to find here. The more I learn about it, and consider what attracted me here, the more I doubt that it will.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Meneldor » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:41 pm

1. Yes you qualify.

2. Let us read your app and background and we will let you know. If you think it might be something totally off center from guidance, PM Frigga with a CC to me and let us look it over beforehand. Also we can discuss if and when we meet up in the GL.

3. Lets talk before you make a drastic decision not to start at all. You can always make a character for Alpha to get the experience and when full open comes around (not a quick thing yet) you can always start a new one.
Meneldor
Raptor Overlord

Next

Return to Out of Character Chatter

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login