It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:58 pm
Change font size

Out of Character Chatter

Anyone else here with zero RP experience?

Want to hang out and have a friendly, off-topic discussion with your fellow players and the staff? This is the place to do it.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Anyone else here with zero RP experience?

Postby BoogtehWoog » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:28 pm

I really think you should play the game before rendering any judgment, sir. I think you will find that game is not like the one you have described and that you are doing yourself and the game a disservice by arriving at a conclusion without the experience to back it up.
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby jimhabegger » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:13 am

I've been discussing other people's interests that come ahead of the RP for them, but now that I think of it, I have some interests here, myself, that come ahead of the RP for me!
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby jimhabegger » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:43 am

Anyone who hasn't played the game, and who sees all the discussions here about conflicts of interest in the game, might imagine that they're a lot worse and more numerous than they really are. Since I've initiated some of those discussions, and participated in others, I want to try to help dispel that impression.

First, I haven't started playing yet, so nothing I've said is based on actual experience in the game.

Second, from what I've seen players saying from their own experience about those conflicts, I'm not imagining that they're disrupting the game everywhere all the time. Far from it. I'm imagining that the disruptions are few and far between, and that the game is mostly a lot of fun for most players, most of the time, and will be for me too.

ETA:
Considering what anyone might think I've been saying, about problems in the game, all I can think of that I might have actually thought is:
- Some players might be feeling unwelcome.
- It might be difficult, or even impossible, for some players to play the kind of game here that they thought they would be welcome to play here.

I can't think of anything else I might have said, or even thought, about problems in the game. In any case, nothing I've said has been based on actual experience in the game.
Last edited by jimhabegger on Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby BoogtehWoog » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:52 am

Like I said, you should really play the game before making any judgments. I do not really understand your angle here at all. You have been here 11 days, yet you have not played and instead have made numerous posts calling various parts of it into question. It is not fair to the work that the staff and players have put into it for you to come here and judge it having not even stepped foot into it.
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby jimhabegger » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:59 am

BoogtehWoog, I'm glad that you're coming to me with your concerns about my behavior. If it's okay with you, I'd rather discuss them privately. If you agree, please PM me.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Letters » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:05 am

I don't think anyone's harbouring serious concerns or what have you. They're just saying to try it out. Only a fraction of the game's players posts frequently on these forums anyway, so it's not necessarily representative of much.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby jimhabegger » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Some people might be concerned about possible effects of some of my posts on others, or might have other concerns about what I've been doing in the forums. If so, you're welcome to PM me about your concerns. I won't respond to those concerns, in the forums.

Some others might be curious about what I've been doing, and might like to try to understand it better. I'm not sure I can explain it so anyone can understand it, but I'd like to try, if anyone's interested. Not because I think anyone needs to, just for my own gratification.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Brian » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:45 am

jimhabegger wrote:Some people might be concerned about possible effects of some of my posts on others, or might have other concerns about what I've been doing in the forums. If so, you're welcome to PM me about your concerns. I won't respond to those concerns, in the forums.

Some others might be curious about what I've been doing, and might like to try to understand it better. I'm not sure I can explain it so anyone can understand it, but I'd like to try, if anyone's interested. Not because I think anyone needs to, just for my own gratification.

Or you could post your rationale on the public forum so every individual who might be passingly curious about all of these posts about concerns about the game environment can see without each one individually having to do so? All of the concerns are out in the public forum, why not the reason for them as well? I will say that for myself I've wondered where all of these posts are coming from, and why, considering that you haven't played the game yet.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Hawkwind » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:17 am

I'd like to second what Brian said.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby jimhabegger » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:30 am

Sorry, I didn't explain that very well. I meant, if anyone wants to discuss with me your concerns about what I've been doing, I will only respond to that privately. On the other hand, if anyone would like to try to better understand what I've been trying to do, I'll try to explain that here.

ETA:
I still didn't explain it very well. If I see some friendly curiosity about what I've been doing, I'll try to explain it here.

I won't respond here to any objections, complaints, or comments that don't look friendly to me.

----

To respond to any possible friendly curiosity about why I haven't started playing yet, it's because I've been working on my character, and learning how to use the commands. I've never played any MUD at all before, and until a few days ago I knew nothing whatsoever about MUD commands.

----

I'm adding further thoughts here for now, to avoid repeatedly bumping this thread.

As an example of how far I've had to come, to start playing, the first time I went to the Guest Lounge, I didn't know how to talk, to emote, to move, or to take any action, at all. I didn't know how to do *anything* but read the room description that popped up in my face. I didn't even know how to exit from the game. I was lucky enough to get it on the second try, after "exit" failed.

Most of my delay in starting to play though, has been waiting for responses from other players who offered to help me with my character background. Meanwhile, I've been reading and posting in the forum, to get to know the other players, to enjoy the fellowship, and to post my thoughts and feelings about topics I see being discussed, that interest me.

If anyone sees any posts from others here, that don't look friendly to you, the best thing you can do for me is to not respond to them at all, not even to point out their unfriendliness, least of all to propagate them by quoting them and bumping the thread. If you still feel impelled to respond to them, one way I see is to post a friendly comment to me.

----

If anyone sees anything sinister in my posts, then please consider reporting it to the administrators, rather than posting dark insinuations here. If you feel impelled to post public warnings on your own, then please start a thread of your own for that purpose.
Last edited by jimhabegger on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 15 times in total.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:35 am

This whole thing seems slightly odd. I've heard of and seen people stop playing a game and stick around on the forums. I have never encountered somebody posting 50+ times without ever playing a game, and the repeated requests for PMs just...seems off.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby radioactivejesus » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:42 pm

RiderOnTheStorm wrote:This whole thing seems slightly odd. I've heard of and seen people stop playing a game and stick around on the forums. I have never encountered somebody posting 50+ times without ever playing a game, and the repeated requests for PMs just...seems off.

yeah. I second this lol.
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby tehkory » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:06 pm

radioactivejesus wrote:
RiderOnTheStorm wrote:This whole thing seems slightly odd. I've heard of and seen people stop playing a game and stick around on the forums. I have never encountered somebody posting 50+ times without ever playing a game, and the repeated requests for PMs just...seems off.

yeah. I second this lol.

Superfriendly social behavior you two.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby soiacc » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:59 pm

jimhabegger wrote: Now I'm considering whether what I'm looking for might be easier to find in a MUSH, or at a collaborative storytelling site, or maybe even playing make-believe games with some children in the neighborhood.

Uhhh... :|
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hawkwind » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Be it your intention or not Jimbo, you are doing more harm than good for both yourself and the game. Your posts, while they may be of honest intent, come off as suspicious and a little wrong.

This is a game, play it. I urge you.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby jimhabegger » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:19 am

This is a response to a question in another thread, about whether I had fun, my first time playing.

I didn't get far enough into it to have fun. It was all work this first time. After I logged into the game, there was a lot of work to do, before I even got into the actual game world. Then I didn't know which way to go, or what to do, and none of the PC's I saw wandering back and forth said anything to me, or even responded to anything I said or emoted.

After stumbling around this way and that for five or ten minutes, I finally found my way to the Inn. Folks there were quite helpful and friendly, but it still was much more work for me than fun, and in spite of all my efforts I did make some mistakes in emoting. There was so much conversation that it was *very* hard to follow people trying to converse or exchange emotes with me, and I imagine that in spite of all my efforts, I left some conversations dangling.

Then I couldn't find any IC way to quit. It didn't seem right to me to just disappear from the Inn, as if I had put on The Ring, but when I tried to quit outside, it said I could only do it in an inn or some similar place, or camp in the wilderness.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby EltanimRas » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:49 am

jimhabegger wrote:Then I didn't know which way to go, or what to do, and none of the PC's I saw wandering back and forth said anything to me, or even responded to anything I said or emoted.

Those sound like they might have been NPCs, especially if they weren't doing anything more than 'wandering back and forth'.

jimhabegger wrote:Then I couldn't find any IC way to quit. It didn't seem right to me to just disappear from the Inn, as if I had put on The Ring, but when I tried to quit outside, it said I could only do it in an inn or some similar place, or camp in the wilderness.

The quit echo is just "So-and-so leaves the area," so it isn't terribly jarring. A lot of people do prefer to emote heading for the door or something first, though.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby gyre » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:52 am

Back on another game, I was once a hapless newbie. It took me ages to figure anything out, I didn't know how to tell the difference between PCs and NPCs (it wasn't as easy as on here) and was very confused. Although I'd roleplayed before, I found the learning curve very steep.

I found it really helpful to wander around by myself and just emote what my character was doing without the time pressure of other people there. I actually still do this now while getting into a new character.

I mostly stuck to simple commands- look, emote, get, put. I personally find tell rather clunky so prefer not to use it unless the situation demands (whisper, for example, is handy). I also spent all my time typing 'help' and browsing the help files. This can admittedly be problematic as they're not always up to date, but it generally works fine for commands.

There's always the 'ooc' command too, which will allow you to ask questions. It's best used sparingly and I was honestly terrified of using it, but it's perfect if you need to know the syntax for something.

'Helpline' is another useful one- type 'help helpline' in game to get more info, but it's basically an OOC channel where you can ask questions and any guides or admins who are tuned in can answer. As long as guides are online, this is a great method of asking for help although it only lasts for a certain amount of playtime. Not sure how long that is here, but it's been 12 or 24 hours of playtime in other places.

The inn (and some other places) are safequit, meaning if you type 'quit', it'll log you straight out. Everywhere else, quit won't work and you need to use 'camp'. This adds a delay to logging you out, basically to stop you from getting into a fight and just running away to log off. It doesn't literally have to mean you're pitching your tent in the middle of Utterby's square.

In either situation, you're free to post a leaving emote of you walking out of the door or disappearing off in whatever direction, before using the command.
gyre
Verified Member

Postby jimhabegger » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:55 am

gyre, thank you!
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:34 am

Just a warning, I'm not sure helpline is functioning, since nobody is being tagged newbie when they come in.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby Hazgarn » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:01 pm

The quickest way to tell if someone might be an NPC is to look at their short description. Most NPCs don't have "man" or "woman" as their noun, but something like "lass", "stripling", "codger" or "matron", whereas only a minority of PCs tend to use words like that.

The best way to be sure is to look at them. Their full description will usually be something very generic about them being a citizen of Utterby. Most wandering NPCs have the same full description.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:24 pm

Hazgarn wrote:The quickest way to tell if someone might be an NPC is to look at their short description. Most NPCs don't have "man" or "woman" as their noun, but something like "lass", "stripling", "codger" or "matron", whereas only a minority of PCs tend to use words like that.

The best way to be sure is to look at them. Their full description will usually be something very generic about them being a citizen of Utterby. Most wandering NPCs have the same full description.

The eq list tends to be the sign for me. They all wear some variation of the same 4 items, I think.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby Hazgarn » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:07 pm

Yeah, that too. And that's probably an even easier way. I just usually notice the first, then the second right away. lol
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby jimhabegger » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:56 pm

Our plane leaves in four hours!
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Rivean » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:59 pm

Travel safe.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Previous

Return to Out of Character Chatter

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login