It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:03 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Encumbrance

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Encumbrance

Postby EltanimRas » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:28 am

Can anyone help explain to me what the different encumbrance levels mean and how I should RP them, kind of like what Kory did for wounds? What kinds of activities should I emote my PC having difficulty with at each?

Thanks!

ETA: I'm especially confused by "lightly encumbered".
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Re: Encumbrance

Postby Throttle » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:12 am

Lightly encumbered basically means you're carrying some stuff but it's no problem. It should be the goal for most PCs to remain within that category, and 90% of them do so because that's just what typical gear weighs.

Unencumbered is presumably a bit better but also nigh-impossible to reach with a full set of armour and weapons unless you have peak strength. I haven't noticed any significant difference between lightly and unencumbered, anyway.

Encumbered is where it starts to get bad. The biggest change is the amount of stamina it will cost to walk. The combat penalties also probably make a dent in your fighting ability here, but it's still playable in that regard -- I once had a Gothakra orc who spent his life encumbered but had superhuman constitution to offset the stamina drain, and it didn't feel overly debilitating in combat.

Anything above encumbered should generally be out of the question for anything short of briefly transporting a heavy thing from one place to another. Even if one were able to play the game perpetually heavily encumbered, it would be unrealistic to do so.

Loosely speaking:

A character who is very strong can easily carry the best armour they have and might even be able to squeeze below the limit and into unencumbered territory.

A character who is slightly strong will have no particular trouble staying lightly encumbered, but might have to give up their backup weapon or wear lighter armour in less important locations if carrying anything extra like a bow and arrows.

A character of about average strength might have to give up their utility items like torches and skinning knives etc., and might have to wear some lighter pieces of armour in places, but should be able to remain just within lightly encumbered.

A character who is weak may have to give up most of their armour to avoid being encumbered, and probably isn't a frequent fighter in any case.
Last edited by Throttle on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Letters » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:19 am

I had a PC on Atonement who could take on most easy mobs without a hiccup. This is only anecdotal, and may be pure fluke, but the only time I observed her having trouble with easy mobs was after inadvertently sliding past that 'encumbered' mark by carrying too much stuff. Not much trouble, but I did notice.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby EltanimRas » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:42 am

Thank you; that's very helpful!
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Bogre » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:17 am

Lightly encumbered is also the most weight you can carry and still be able to move stealthily.
Bogre
Verified Member

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login