Change font size

General Discussion

What the heck? Some help would be nice.

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

What the heck? Some help would be nice.

Postby Mannfreid » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:55 pm

Firstly:

I have looked, EVERYWHERE, for connection info for the game. The link I found connects to the old website, and the information there is no longer valid.

Secondly:

Went to go make my guy. Decided I wanted a sneaky scout type. But when I went to select my skills...

I had to select Sole wield AND dual Wield, just so I could have dual wield?

And I couldn't find shortblades.

And it wouldn't let me select longblade,s without selecting pole arms?

WTF? Did I do it wrong?
Mannfreid
Verified Member

Re: What the heck? Some help would be nice.

Postby tehkory » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:58 pm

Shortblades are given automatically. Dual-wield and longblades are considered 'proper soldiering skills,' requiring another weapon style(solewield) and weapon skill(polearm or bludgeon)to be taken.

You're not doing it wrong. It's just how chargen works.

Connect at middle-earth.us 4500
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Yoink » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:40 pm

Personally I'm not really sure why dual-wield would be more 'advanced' than sole-wield, but oh well. The long blade thing makes more sense, since swords would presumably take a lot of work to master.
Droll wrote:You know they are going to sic an ent on us right?
Forest fire prpt tonight. Bring torches.
Yoink
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Letters » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:07 am

Yoink wrote:Personally I'm not really sure why dual-wield would be more 'advanced' than sole-wield, but oh well. The long blade thing makes more sense, since swords would presumably take a lot of work to master.

It covers shield use, and is by far the superior skill. Also, the skill description in chargen is wrong.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby Rivean » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:54 am

tehkory wrote:Shortblades are given automatically. Dual-wield and longblades are considered 'proper soldiering skills,' requiring another weapon style(solewield) and weapon skill(polearm or bludgeon)to be taken.

Okay, after having stumbled across this just now, I have to say that this makes no sense whatsoever.

Firstly, there is no IC or OOC reason why the code should REQUIRE that I must know how to use maces in order to have learned how to use swords.

Secondly, the presumption that ONLY TRAINED soldiers can POSSIBLY learn the use of swords is, frankly absurd. What's stopping JimBob from having paid 20 cp a year to a swordsman for training? Why is this beyond the realm of possibility in this game?

Finally, I don't think it's a very good game design choice. It's one thing if this were MT, and combat and survival were things far from the radar of most crafters or city dwellers, but it's not. We're out in the wilderness. Our PCs, the vast majority of them, have at some point in their lives, faced deadly violence. To say that, you need to pick THREE skills (single/dual wield, bludgeon/polearm, long-blade) in order to wield a sword is a cripplingly tight leash on the varieties of character concepts that are open for play.

I would really, really, like the staff to reconsider this policy.

ETA: That axes are bludgeon also makes no sense. Nor does the 'everybody gets small-blade for free' idea. Firstly, there's no reason why everyone everywhere (or even most people) would be familiar with the use of a knife as a weapon (in this sense brawling makes more sense - more people have been in fist fights than in knife fights) AND it's taking up an extra skill slot that you may not want lowering your total.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Nan0technician » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:31 am

Rivean wrote:
tehkory wrote:Shortblades are given automatically. Dual-wield and longblades are considered 'proper soldiering skills,' requiring another weapon style(solewield) and weapon skill(polearm or bludgeon)to be taken.

Okay, after having stumbled across this just now, I have to say that this makes no sense whatsoever.

Firstly, there is no IC or OOC reason why the code should REQUIRE that I must know how to use maces in order to have learned how to use swords.

Secondly, the presumption that ONLY TRAINED soldiers can POSSIBLY learn the use of swords is, frankly absurd. What's stopping JimBob from having paid 20 cp a year to a swordsman for training? Why is this beyond the realm of possibility in this game?

Finally, I don't think it's a very good game design choice. It's one thing if this were MT, and combat and survival were things far from the radar of most crafters or city dwellers, but it's not. We're out in the wilderness. Our PCs, the vast majority of them, have at some point in their lives, faced deadly violence. To say that, you need to pick THREE skills (single/dual wield, bludgeon/polearm, long-blade) in order to wield a sword is a cripplingly tight leash on the varieties of character concepts that are open for play.

I would really, really, like the staff to reconsider this policy.

ETA: That axes are bludgeon also makes no sense. Nor does the 'everybody gets small-blade for free' idea. Firstly, there's no reason why everyone everywhere (or even most people) would be familiar with the use of a knife as a weapon (in this sense brawling makes more sense - more people have been in fist fights than in knife fights) AND it's taking up an extra skill slot that you may not want lowering your total.

While I'll agree on most of your points. I'm not sure if this function I am going to talk about works yet or not. But the command focus "skill" allows you to focus on the skills you choose, and then the opposite, (I don't remember the exact command but it is something like) Forget/Ignore "skill" Allows you to lose that skill so I always forget small-blades and Aim, to focus on more of the skills I wanted at creation.

Hope that helps
Nan0technician
Verified Member

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:41 am

Bludgeon is a very poorly designed weapon skill. It seems to be the best by far. I could be mistaken, but I don't think swords are codedly much better. Bludgeons also is the only weapon skill with variety. Axes, maces, hammers, flails, staves, picks(?). Weapons that do crush-affects (which can be devastating) and ones that cause bleeding. Multiple one and two handed options. Weapons that slash, crush, pierce.

Swords, you get....swords. Small blades...you get knives. Pole arms gets you various spears that are all basically the same thing.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby Rivean » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:49 am

I'm not really interested in which is codedly a better skill to have (that's a discussion for another day).I'm interested in what should be a viable option but presently isn't.

This is not only frustrating for me on a character design limitation level, but it's also hard on my immersion because ICly, my PCs will have a hard time making sense of it.

NanoTech - Thank you, that's a handy command to know and will help alleviate the issue with the small-blade/aim, but the larger problem of sword availability remains.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby BoogtehWoog » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:51 am

I do think long-blades should not have a pre-requirement. They should be accessible on their own.
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login