It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:54 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Possibilities for chatting between players?

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Possibilities for chatting between players?

Postby EltanimRas » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:36 am

jimhabegger wrote:Even so, no matter how much it is decorated with IC emotes, it is still the players who are chatting with each other, with little or no thought for how realistic it is for their characters to be having that conversation, or even for them to be in that place, at that time.

The two things I think almost everyone cheats on are time and sleep:

For various reasons, mostly playability-related, time goes faster in game than in RL. What ought logically to be an hour's conversation takes much longer, by the in-game clock. It can be jarring to notice and react to this ICly, so it generally gets glossed over.

By much the same token, sleeping in-game is dull. Really, really dull. So you'll see a blind eye turned to a lot of all-nighters. PCs don't normally clear out of the bar just because it's 2-3 a.m. IC and they have a patrol in the morning, and they don't normally complain about sleep deprivation as a result. You'll see exceptions, of course, but they are just that.

Otherwise, even experienced players can struggle to come with an IC way to explain the craft and combat code. It's tricky -- you don't want to use the OOC command unnecessarily, but you don't want to say nonsensical things IC either. \o/

jimhabegger wrote:"Man, they still haven't got these arrows working right."
"Whoa, dude, how's that for some skill up?"
"I'm glad I made it in here tonight for that one!"

Anything this blatant is not going to be acceptable, although people just learning the game will, of course, make mistakes. What you're more likely to see slide by in-game might be, oh, I don't know ...
  • "I don't think I landed a single arrow all day. Was your luck any better, or was the wind just that tricky?"
  • "I feel like I'm finally starting to get used to the weight of a sword in my hand. Do you think the captain noticed me?"
  • "Man, that was an exciting patrol. I'm glad I wasn't one of the guys stuck on wall duty today -- they're going to be hearing about this for days!"*

*"Wall duty" used to be a standard euphemism for time military PCs spent offline, so this one actually has a pretty clear meta-level message. ;)
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby jimhabegger » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:23 am

RiderOnTheStorm, Rivean and Eltanim, thank you. You've really gotten to the heart of what I was thinking.

Rivean, I agree, after some consideration I don't think that having an easier way to socialize outside of the game would do much, if anything, to improve the quality of anyone's RP. Besides, I can't imagine anything easier than doing it in the "Out of Character Chatter" forum.

Eltanim, your examples are exactly what I was groping for with mine.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Letters » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:28 am

Sometimes my characters just chatter away about any old thing. Typically when walking somewhere or otherwise doing something that doesn't exactly require their full concentration. They'll speak with their own patterns of speech, generally about things in their own field of interest, and, because it's something that I would seriously struggle to change up much, rather a similar sense of humour across characters.

It's still just chatter. But that's a natural human thing to do. Doesn't equate to using the game as a chatroom. Were that the case, I'd just have got hold of WorkerDrone's AIM handle four years ago and quietly blotted out two of his characters. :P
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby WorkerDrone » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:37 am

He could do that at anytime still. Being a fruitloop IC was more interesting for him.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby Letters » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:43 am

Had to look up fruit loop.

Can't really contest that assessment much.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby Rivean » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:11 am

Get a room, you two. :P
Rivean
Honored Elf

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login