It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:55 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Combat RP Etiquette and YOU!

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Combat RP Etiquette and YOU!

Postby Jme » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:55 pm

Hello and welcome, here we'll be discussing not only what is considered exemplary RP - but how we can break down the large picture into bite-sized chunks that even a total newbie can take something from and benefit themselves from the information =)

Since this is potentially going to be a ridiculous huge wall of text, let's break it down into points that we can address individually so we don't get too bogged down in non-sense, let's keep it real and black & white!

[PART 1: EMOTE STRUCTURE & FAIR PLAY]

One of the biggest problems I've seen players experience is that, through either the heat of the moment - or their high regard for their PCs abilities: we see a lot of poweremoting that might not be necessarily intention, so let's go over some examples of what poweremoting is, and how to avoid it!

(BAD EMOTE)
A bow-legged, stocky male orc lurches towards you, slamming his meaty fist squarely into your jaw.

(GOOD EMOTE)
A bow-legged, stocky male orc lurches towards you, driving meaty fist forward, trying to connect with your jaw.

The difference is that, the good emote is leaving the action open-ended to allow for development and interpretation from involved parties for more dynamic - less forced scenes.

Now let's take a look at how someone can emote around the hide skill to allow for fair play whilst still exploiting the benefits of the hide skill.

(BAD USE OF HIDE)
A bow-legged, stocky male orc hides.

(GOOD USE OF HIDE)
A bow-legged, stocky male orc crouches down low and crawls behind a barrel, keeping his back against the wall as he attempts to use the shadows to provide him stealth.

A bow-legged, stocky male orc hides.

Here we're explaining HOW he's hiding, rather than just assuming he COULD hide - let's be honest with ourselves, if we cannot describe in simple English HOW our characters can do something - we probably shouldn't be doing it codely.

Now, this is not to say that everyone needs to point out to others when they DON'T do these things, but it does mean that - if you try to follow these principles and guidelines, which are NOT rules - you will not only improve as a role-player, but soon find yourself watched by admins and gaining more interest and trust from everyone as a whole - usually leading into more plot involvement which is always fun :)

That's all I'm going to write at this time, but I'll be adding regularly based on what feedback we get from the masses - after all, we are here for YOUR fun!

Thanks for reading,

Have a Jmetastic day.
Have a Jmetastic day.

SOI CHARACTER APPRECIATION THREAD:
http://www.middle-earth.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1131&p=13525
Jme
Forum Hobbit

Re: Combat RP Etiquette and YOU!

Postby Vwest » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:11 am

I'm fine with them just hiding, really.

It's easy enough to attribute it to catching a glimpse before they slip into cover. The only time I have a problem with it is when people are having an engaged conversation and just Batman out of there without a word.
Vwest
Verified Member

Postby Jme » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:28 am

Vwest wrote:I'm fine with them just hiding, really.

It's easy enough to attribute it to catching a glimpse before they slip into cover. The only time I have a problem with it is when people are having an engaged conversation and just Batman out of there without a word.

I think the only gripe I have is when people hide, while engaged in RP, such as - being looked at or spoken to - then just vanishing... They don't have smoke bombs and aren't batman, so a little explanation of their action/intent would go a long way to set the scene for others =)
Have a Jmetastic day.

Jme
Forum Hobbit

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:15 am

Or, they are batman.

People who hide in crowded rooms, like the inn, annoy me to no end. Funny enough, there's only one person I've seen do it and do it repeatedly, and the identity of said person probably wouldn't be surprising to most people Utterby side.

Sneak, I have much less of a problem with, to the point of having no problem with it, since it's easy to say somebody looked away and the other person batmanned.

I had a run in with an orc on one of my chars, it was handled pretty well I thought, he came out of hiding, emoted, I emoted, he emoted, and then combat, with an emote or two in it.

ETA : It's funny you stuck a gripe about hide in the 'combat etiquette' thread. The, 'if you can't explain how to do it, don't do it' bit is way off base, and just seems like a complaint about people hiding in rooms you don't think they should be able to hide in. I have no idea how to tan leather, should I never play a leather worker?
Last edited by RiderOnTheStorm on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby BoogtehWoog » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:19 am

Hiding isn't necessarily disappearing. It is blending in with your surroundings, which can include taking advantage of a crowd to hide in plain sight. Still, it is something to be wary of and its use could definitely be seen as twinking if not properly played.
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby EltanimRas » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:15 am

I'd second the idea that 'hiding' can mean 'blending in as one more nondescript member of a crowd'. I'm also fine with someone using the 'search' command in a bar while RPing only taking a good hard look at the room's obvious occupants. It's unfortunate that the code might still reveal someone hiding huddled inside a cabinet under the bar, but on the rare occasion such a thing should happen, I'm sure the players involved can work it out, assuming the appropriate pmotes are in place.

On topic, though, let me try to think of some questions I might hope to find answered in a combat etiquette guide.

1. What exactly is the difference between 'hit' and 'kill'? Is there still a 'mercy' setting, and, if so, how does it interact with these two commands? Roughly how often will accidental deaths still happen with 'hit'?

2. What can unconscious PCs see and/or hear? Do we have separate emote and semote commands, and are they relevant here?

3. What about things like 'stop' and 'set pacifist'? What coded and/or IC effect do they have; when are they appropriate?

4. Which combat and PvP-related commands will take a parenthetical emote? Which ignore them?

5. Assuming my opponent[s] and I are both on foot, and I don't have some horrific leg wound, is there any reason I shouldn't flee as quickly as I codedly can? What are the circumstances under which I should hesitate to do so?
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby jdidds » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:26 am

EltanimRas wrote:
1. What exactly is the difference between 'hit' and 'kill'? Is there still a 'mercy' setting, and, if so, how does it interact with these two commands? Roughly how often will accidental deaths still happen with 'hit'?

Hit = You will continue attacking until your opponent is unconscious.
Kill: You won´t stop attacking when they´re unconscious.

Hit can still kill an opponent out right, but this rarely happens. Using experience from the old code and in PvP, this can happen if the opponent isn´t wearing armour.

I´m not sure if there is a mercy command.

2. What can unconscious PCs see and/or hear? Do we have separate emote and semote commands, and are they relevant here?

As far as I am aware. Unconcious PC´s hear and see nothing. They only receive messages about being wounded, and not very much of that.

3. What about things like 'stop' and 'set pacifist'? What coded and/or IC effect do they have; when are they appropriate?

Set pacifist means you won´t try to hit your opponent at all. You receive a bonus to defence.

Stop means you signal to your opponent that you wish to stop fighting. My opinion is that if you opponent uses the stop command, you should then cease fighting and go to emotes. Note: The combat will not end until your opponent also used the stop command.

4. Which combat and PvP-related commands will take a parenthetical emote? Which ignore them?

Do you mean which commands allow to use an emote first? As in hit man (charging towards ~man raising *sword)? Non, I don´t think. Unless something has changed since SoI was opened once more.

5. Assuming my opponent[s] and I are both on foot, and I don't have some horrific leg wound, is there any reason I shouldn't flee as quickly as I codedly can? What are the circumstances under which I should hesitate to do so?

No, code is code. But perhaps try using the stop command first and RP out fleeing from the melee. If your opponent doesn´t accept your coded stop by entering the stop command, then by all means use the flee command and get the heck out of there. Even if you had a horrific leg wound, use coded flee of your opponent is hell bent on taking you down and you don´t want to die.
Code: Select all
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby Jme » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:49 am

jdidds wrote:
EltanimRas wrote:

Hit = You will continue attacking until your opponent is unconscious.
Kill: You won´t stop attacking when they´re unconscious.
Recommend no one ever using kill against other PCs, RP it out manually and with hit

Hit can still kill an opponent out right, but this rarely happens. Using experience from the old code and in PvP, this can happen if the opponent isn´t wearing armour.

I´m not sure if there is a mercy command.
Nope - set pacifist to avoid killing someone when they're on the floor and can't truce.

As far as I am aware. Unconcious PC´s hear and see nothing. They only receive messages about being wounded, and not very much of that.
They hear speech only.

Set pacifist means you won´t try to hit your opponent at all. You receive a bonus to defence.
Yep

Stop means you signal to your opponent that you wish to stop fighting. My opinion is that if you opponent uses the stop command, you should then cease fighting and go to emotes. Note: The combat will not end until your opponent also used the stop command.
Sometimes I've used the stop command at the start of a fight - so if I'm busy emoting or something when the other guy wants to stop, the fight immediately stops.

Do you mean which commands allow to use an emote first? As in hit man (charging towards ~man raising *sword)? Non, I don´t think. Unless something has changed since SoI was opened once more.
Emotes are separate from code, keep them separate

No, code is code. But perhaps try using the stop command first and RP out fleeing from the melee. If your opponent doesn´t accept your coded stop by entering the stop command, then by all means use the flee command and get the heck out of there. Even if you had a horrific leg wound, use coded flee of your opponent is hell bent on taking you down and you don´t want to die.

After code combat takes place, never feel obligated to focus more on RP than code. Worry about RP build-up and you won't go far wrong.
Have a Jmetastic day.

Jme
Forum Hobbit

Postby EltanimRas » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:53 am

jdidds wrote:I´m not sure if there is a mercy command.

My mistake! 'Mercy' is the Arm equivalent.

jidds wrote:Unconscious PC´s hear and see nothing. They only receive messages about being wounded, and not very much of that.

That's too bad. (If I remember correctly, sleeping PCs can hear but not see: "Someone says ...")

What does this mean for those who want to give a PC who's gone uncon an RP-ed out death, though? Can you 'wake' an unconscious PC? Would you use the 'subdue' command to prevent their over-precipitous flight?

jdidds wrote:Stop means you signal to your opponent that you wish to stop fighting.

Would this necessarily be taken as an IC signal/request, or could it be used in a purely OOC 'I'd like to slow the scroll and RP more' sense?

Thank you!

ETA: Thanks also to sneaky ninja Jme. ;)
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby jdidds » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:44 am

If you want to RP out their death, then you could use the code to stabilise them, stop bleeding etc and then wait for them to wake. You can also use the umm.. subdue command I think (don't remember the exact command) so that they don't just flee.

Also, a point to note. Some people are less open to gory deaths / torture and you should OOC'ly clarify their willingness to participate before hand.

Also, consider making them a prisoner instead of just offing their pc. Some great RP can come from it providing circumstances permit it.

When it comes to the stop command. I think it's safe to say you can use it both IC and OOC. Just throw out an emote if your intentions were to RP out surrendering, motioning for a truce when the fighting stops.
Code: Select all
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby Jme » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:35 am

jdidds wrote:If you want to RP out their death, then you could use the code to stabilise them, stop bleeding etc and then wait for them to wake. You can also use the umm.. subdue command I think (don't remember the exact command) so that they don't just flee.

Also, a point to note. Some people are less open to gory deaths / torture and you should OOC'ly clarify their willingness to participate before hand.

Also, consider making them a prisoner instead of just offing their pc. Some great RP can come from it providing circumstances permit it.

When it comes to the stop command. I think it's safe to say you can use it both IC and OOC. Just throw out an emote if your intentions were to RP out surrendering, motioning for a truce when the fighting stops.

Right on the money with the OOC consent things.

Also, I think it's pretty expected to help smooth the process from life into death - to be able to RP out a chars last moments than just watch on helplessly while they get butchered usually leaves a sour, unsatisfying taste in the mouth shortly after.

I should know :P
Have a Jmetastic day.

Jme
Forum Hobbit

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login