It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:00 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Hillmen

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Hillmen

Postby jdidds » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:31 am

I´ve heard word of hillmen in the game. I´m guessing they are a special role open to experienced players. How would one go applying? ;)

Also, are they Dunlendings? Or more akin to the Sawdust´s Vok from the old SoI?
Code: Select all
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Re: Hillmen

Postby Icarus » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:51 am

*beats away the rest of the players with a big stick*

If you lot start raising hell, I'll kill you all with a troll!

*eyes them all, shiftylike*

Now, as far as the Hillmen. They were a family group that apped in together. We have since restricted such applications (there is some specific discussion of nuanced variants of this topside, but those have not been released yet).
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby jdidds » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:06 am

Ah ok. Hmm. Would it be possible to just role a human character and build a background as a "Vok" like character? I very very excite.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby Icarus » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:08 am

We are currently accepting applications from around the region of the River Running. If your character is not from those areas, we will not be accepting it. For humans, that is.

If you want to have a fellow who was born in Southglain but became a half-wild hermit living in the woods, you're more than welcome to. But he /will/ have been from the region that we have in game presently.

"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby jdidds » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:09 am

And yeah, just to clear things up for all of you. I like to play weirdos.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby wilesly » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:08 pm

jdidds wrote:Thanks :)

And yeah, just to clear things up for all of you. I like to play weirdos.

Don't we all?
"Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes."
wilesly
Forum Hobbit

Postby kestrel » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:02 pm

Icarus wrote:*beats away the rest of the players with a big stick*

I know this is probably the last thing you want to hear, but I'm going to derail a bit and ask anyway. :D

1. Is it worth giving the Hillman PCs a separate language, assuming they didn't grow up speaking Dalish?
2. Is it worth giving EVERYONE (orcs, humans) a "Common" or "Westron" language? For the orcs I'd have no problem with it at all because that's what they should be speaking when a bunch of tribes come together. For the humans, I honestly have no flipping idea what languages were spoken in this part of Middle-earth at this point in time.

(No, I do not play a Hillman PC.)

ETA: Probably the Uruk thread was the better place to put this in retrospect. Either way, question #2 is probably mostly just me saying, "Goblins and Men should be able to understand each other, at least vaguely."
Last edited by kestrel on Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kestrel
Honored Dwarf

Postby tehkory » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:08 pm

kestrel wrote:
Icarus wrote:*beats away the rest of the players with a big stick*

I know this is probably the last thing you want to hear, but I'm going to derail a bit and ask anyway. :D

1. Is it worth giving the Hillman PCs a separate language, assuming they didn't grow up speaking Dalish?
2. Is it worth giving EVERYONE (orcs, humans) a "Common" or "Westron" language? For the orcs I'd have no problem with it at all because that's what they should be speaking when a bunch of tribes come together. For the humans, I honestly have no flipping idea what languages were spoken in this part of Middle-earth at this point in time.

(No, I do not play a Hillman PC.)

I made a thread about #1 if you and Icarus want to peer thataway. I'm very for it.

#2, I just like universal understanding.

And thirdly, everyone knows you play Bors the Streetsweeper VII.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby kestrel » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:09 pm

tehkory wrote:And thirdly, everyone knows you play Bors the Streetsweeper VII.

Haha, I'd forgotten!

And I can't find the thread, but if you link to it I'll post.
kestrel
Honored Dwarf

Postby Songweaver » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:09 pm

In my mind, this is a great idea in theory, assuming the staff would like to continue to support the Hillmen concept. Otherwise, we're talking about creating a new coded language for a very small number of characters. As it is, to my understanding, the recent announcement posted by Icarus disallows future Hillmen from apping into the game.

Should the question rather be, should the staff support the Hillmen as another alternate concept? Have they proven their concept as an immersive addition to the gameworld that players enjoy overall?

Or should future characters stick to the current supported Utterby clans?
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby soiacc » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:21 pm

Honestly? I think people should focus more on filling in the town before trying to branch out into sub-spheres. Our official story is that we all came here to cut down trees collect those tubers and support those who do and mostly everyone is doing more supporting than tree cutting and tuber collecting.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby Songweaver » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:26 pm

soiacc wrote:Honestly? I think people should focus more on filling in the town before trying to branch out into sub-spheres. Our official story is that we all came here to cut down trees collect those tubers and support those who do and mostly everyone is doing more supporting than tree cutting and tuber collecting.

To play Devil's Advocate, are we expecting a continued growth in human sphere population of players? It seems to me that there might be far more humans than orcs at the moment, to the point where I'd suspect things moving in the direction of shrinking rather than growing over time.

Playing lumberjacks and tuber collectors may not be everyone's cup of tea. I can't find fault with that. I know it isn't mine, personally.

The size of the few supported clans in Utterby is actually very impressive. There are more Guardsmen right now than I ever saw soldiers in the Battalions back in the day. I'm not sure that that's a good thing, but I'm interested in the conversation.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Icarus » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:33 pm

As a note, everyone has common.

Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby kestrel » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:36 pm

Icarus wrote:As a note, everyone has common.

That's interesting! So how does it work in practice, since you can't currently codedly switch the language you're speaking? Or am I misunderstanding (which I think is more likely)?
kestrel
Honored Dwarf

Postby Songweaver » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:38 pm

You automatically speak Common. If you set yourself to speak Dalish, you will begin speaking Common again upon a reboot, or crash, or fresh log-in. I think that that's how it works.

Common is an invisible skill. You have it, you just can't see it on your skills list.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby tehkory » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:40 pm

kestrel wrote:
Icarus wrote:As a note, everyone has common.

That's interesting! So how does it work in practice, since you can't currently codedly switch the language you're speaking? Or am I misunderstanding (which I think is more likely)?

Same as SoI that was. Speak common, speak Dalish, speak Orkish.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby soiacc » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:45 pm

It seems to me like the Lodge is becoming less important than it was made out to be. Nobody treats it like the main place for employment. Are we changing the purpose of us being here? If so to what? It seems like a lot of people have ideas of what the town should be instead of wanting to play it as it was advertised.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby Songweaver » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:47 pm

Not everyone's going to enjoy playing crafters. Every RPI needs options. Also, I would counter that the Lodge is currently seeing as much business as it can possibly handle, and that the crafters are doing a pretty bang up job in the human sphere.

The economy of the Lodge, crafters, and raw goods suppliers is (IMO) the most successful thing about SOI so far. I've never seen so much trade.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Matt » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:52 pm

With how many people are playing human it's great to have another little group not exactly attached. Or else it'd be a lot of coin changing hands and wolf murder. Boring.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby soiacc » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:25 pm

Songweaver wrote:Not everyone's going to enjoy playing crafters. Every RPI needs options. Also, I would counter that the Lodge is currently seeing as much business as it can possibly handle, and that the crafters are doing a pretty bang up job in the human sphere.

The economy of the Lodge, crafters, and raw goods suppliers is (IMO) the most successful thing about SOI so far. I've never seen so much trade.

The Lodge crafters, not the Lodge. The pay hasn't been set up and everyone seems to be doing their own thing.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby tehkory » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:57 pm

kestrel wrote:
tehkory wrote:And thirdly, everyone knows you play Bors the Streetsweeper VII.

Haha, I'd forgotten!

And I can't find the thread, but if you link to it I'll post.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1084
Redirecting people this way a little, hopefully!
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby toofast » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:11 pm

soiacc wrote:It seems to me like the Lodge is becoming less important than it was made out to be. Nobody treats it like the main place for employment. Are we changing the purpose of us being here? If so to what? It seems like a lot of people have ideas of what the town should be instead of wanting to play it as it was advertised.

All the human crafters are in the lodge, despite the lodge not even supplying most supplies or paying it's workers. The system isn't even setup.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby soiacc » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:22 pm

Most of the human crafters are selling things to make a profit for themselves, not the Lodge. So it's basically become just a free place to sleep, store gear and craft and to me it's completely ooc, because icly that wouldn't be going on. I understand the irl limitations, but ask any of the crafters how much they have set aside, either in coin or in commodity, for the Lodge from their earnings to at least make it -seem- as if they're working for the Lodge.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby toofast » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:23 pm

soiacc wrote:Most of the human crafters are selling things to make a profit for themselves, not the Lodge. So it's basically become just a free place to sleep, store gear and craft and to me it's completely ooc, because icly that wouldn't be going on. I understand the irl limitations, but ask any of the crafters how much they have set aside, either in coin or in commodity, for the Lodge from their earnings to at least make it -seem- as if they're working for the Lodge.

Besides taking an ic issue and making it ooc when you should be taking it to the staff if you see fit, you completely ignored my post. The Lodge isn't providing resources to the crafters or paying them-- why should they have any obligation to set aside the coin that they're earning without being prompted, encouraged or obligated in any shape way or form besides getting a bunk to crash on?
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Throttle » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:30 pm

soiacc wrote:Our official story is that we all came here to cut down trees collect those tubers and support those who do and mostly everyone is doing more supporting than tree cutting and tuber collecting.

Yeah, this has been bothering me as well, but the problem is that you can't actually fell a tree without having the woodcraft skill. This is silly and makes no sense, and you can't expect everyone to take that skill just to enable their PC to chop down a tree. As for the tubers, I've yet to see any trace of them.

I've never so much as held a lumber axe in my life and I'm pretty sure I could go out there and chop down a tree, just not one of the big ones that really require technique and experience. Maybe if there was a general-outdoors craft to fell a tree but get a log with half the 'uses' counters, representing a smaller tree. Perhaps it could be usable only on the shittier tree sorts; I believe hornbeam and ironwood* have their own objects and variable category.

*why are these codedly two separate sorts? It contradicts the documentation
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Next

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login