It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:02 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Hillmen

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Hillmen

Postby Hawkwind » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:41 pm

Two guys and a long saw can take down a tree, might kill somebody, but the tree will come down!
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby soiacc » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:54 pm

toofastnig wrote:
soiacc wrote:Most of the human crafters are selling things to make a profit for themselves, not the Lodge. So it's basically become just a free place to sleep, store gear and craft and to me it's completely ooc, because icly that wouldn't be going on. I understand the irl limitations, but ask any of the crafters how much they have set aside, either in coin or in commodity, for the Lodge from their earnings to at least make it -seem- as if they're working for the Lodge.

Besides taking an ic issue and making it ooc when you should be taking it to the staff if you see fit, you completely ignored my post. The Lodge isn't providing resources to the crafters or paying them-- why should they have any obligation to set aside the coin that they're earning without being prompted, encouraged or obligated in any shape way or form besides getting a bunk to crash on?

It's an ooc issue, because it's an ooc problem. There's no obligation to set aside coin if you're not staying in the Lodge. If you're staying in the Lodge, that means you've agreed to work for the Lodge and everything that means. The Lodge oocly is not set up, that doesn't mean icly it's not running. Do you think they would just let anyone stay there without contributing to the place in some way? It's a place of business. Some players clearly signed up without really wanting to work for the Lodge. That's an ooc thing too, since icly their character wouldn't have gone to the Lodge or been allowed to just stay there, but because it's convenient, some have gotten clanned.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby Songweaver » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:20 pm

Not sure what any of this conversation has to do with the Hillmen. The economy of the game and weaknesses in its craft suites have been, and are being discussed elsewhere at length.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby someguy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:42 pm

I'm all for an other that creates conflict. If it's not a self created, intentional other (like the Hillmen), PCs/players are just going to pick one themselves.
someguy
Forum Hobbit

Postby Matt » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:48 pm

soiacc wrote:
toofastnig wrote:
soiacc wrote:Most of the human crafters are selling things to make a profit for themselves, not the Lodge. So it's basically become just a free place to sleep, store gear and craft and to me it's completely ooc, because icly that wouldn't be going on. I understand the irl limitations, but ask any of the crafters how much they have set aside, either in coin or in commodity, for the Lodge from their earnings to at least make it -seem- as if they're working for the Lodge.

Besides taking an ic issue and making it ooc when you should be taking it to the staff if you see fit, you completely ignored my post. The Lodge isn't providing resources to the crafters or paying them-- why should they have any obligation to set aside the coin that they're earning without being prompted, encouraged or obligated in any shape way or form besides getting a bunk to crash on?

It's an ooc issue, because it's an ooc problem. There's no obligation to set aside coin if you're not staying in the Lodge. If you're staying in the Lodge, that means you've agreed to work for the Lodge and everything that means. The Lodge oocly is not set up, that doesn't mean icly it's not running. Do you think they would just let anyone stay there without contributing to the place in some way? It's a place of business. Some players clearly signed up without really wanting to work for the Lodge. That's an ooc thing too, since icly their character wouldn't have gone to the Lodge or been allowed to just stay there, but because it's convenient, some have gotten clanned.

I think you're speaking from IC ignorance here on some parts. Also are PCs supposed to just sit around and stack up goods people need and wait weeks for the Lodge is 'set up' to do anything? No, definitely not.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby soiacc » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:36 am

I'm not saying that people should do nothing or not earn coin or whatever. I'm saying that if you are roleplaying that you're working for the Lodge, you should at least make an attempt to appear to do so. It seems pretty straightforward to me. If you work for the Lodge, what you make is for the Lodge. I know people have been buying their own materials and I get that noone's getting paid, but then if that's the case, be independent. They basically are independent, but using the Lodge clanning to store things and use the equipment and that icly would not be allowed without at least some sort of compensation to the Lodge owner. If people were working for the Lodge properly there'd be no need to buy materials at all because the hunters/fishermen/foragers would be bringing in food,hides, and bog iron. The timberwrights would be bringing in the wood. The smiths would be turning the materials into weapons and armor for the hunters and gatherers while also repairing the damaged ones and the cooks would would be cooking. Excess food could then be stored or sold to the Inn. Ideally you'd also draw regular pay of some sort and maybe a small commission based on performance, but initially it could have worked on its own until we got everything settled, but everyone went off and did their own thing. If it's all too ic, what I'm saying, I'm sorry, but it's getting a little frustrating.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login