It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:58 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Wildlife mechanics & hunting

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Wildlife mechanics & hunting

Postby Throttle » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:07 am

It seems a bit crazy how much and how quickly wildlife moves around, even (and especially) when wounded. If you shoot a buck, it will sprint five times around the forest in an instant and will not stay in one room for more than half a second until it has bled to death. Getting a second shot at it is more or less out of the question, so you have to just hope you can luck out and find the damn thing after it has run itself to death.

Tracking them down is an exercise in futility because a deer will move dozens of rooms in the time it takes to track once. Coupled with their ability to hide and their seemingly flawless skill at it, it makes hunting really frustrating as odds are you'll either never see it again or someone else will happen upon a bled-out deer and help themselves to it long before you've randomly found it again.

Small wildlife is almost as bad, but at least they don't have ninja stealth or enough hit points to survive a bleeding wound for twenty minutes. Even so, they routinely survive a fully lodged shot and can still run at the speed of sound with an arrow through them.

Is there a simple way to tone this down? It's really ridiculous and does in no conveivable way represent actual hunting in a realistic manner, nor does it make for good gameplay. If there's a solution that doesn't take a bunch of coding, it would be really swell. Suggested changes:

- Deer feel like they have impeccable stealth and could probably do with lower skills.

- Animal movement speed is absurdly fast and should be reduced significantly.

- I expect this will take coding, but some day it'd be great if shooting an animal in the leg will stop it from running.

- Small animals shouldn't survive a direct hit with an arrow very often. They probably should have something like 5 HP but currently seem to have much more.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Re: Wildlife mechanics & hunting

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:20 am

Five rooms is a terrible underestimate. I shot a buck and actually codedly followed it, it was more like 30 rooms.

Also people complaining about bows being OP need to realize these aren't semi-automatic guns or something. I have mid-talented longbow, and can literally aim and shoot at something with good arrows, and often miss 6 times (or more) in a row, and have to stop and load/aim again with every shot.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby Real » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:23 am

I feel like the way it's set up currently is heavily slanted toward balancing. If small game were too easy (read: any easier) to get a hold of it'd be a sea of people lining up at the inn to sell pheasants and the other crafts would suffer for the amount of people taking up hunting for the easy money.

Hunting is supposed to take time and patience, and deer should be rightly difficult to bag as a result, they're like the quintessential game animal. If you deal a bleeder to it you can track it for quite some time, and the following, remaining stealthy and exposing your quarry to ambush/shoot, that's what the fun of hunting actually is, so if you don't like that...Well, anyway, deer are very track-able and deer hides/venison should be the result of a patient hunt; a battle of attrition.
Everything gets smaller now the further that I go
Towards the mouth and the reunion of the known and the unknown
Consider yourself lucky if you think of it as home
You can move mountains with your misery if you don't
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby Throttle » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:38 am

It's currently objectively ridiculous the way animals react to being shot at. I don't think you have a very strong argument for it being, as you seem to feel, perfectly fine and shouldn't be changed. I especially don't think that skewing the entire act of hunting in deference to some pheasant-buying NPC is a very good idea. It should be entirely possible to err on the side of balance without resorting to absolutely nonsensical hunting mechanics.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby krelm » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:21 pm

Pretty sure to make any of these changes, the mobs would either need to have the hardcoded AI put in, mcues, and/or progs, which I've been told we're trying to hold back on for alpha.

Also, apparently, bucks only have novice sneak and familiar hide, so them ninjaing around is just a byproduct of how overpowered sneak and hide are, anyway.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:36 pm

Derail!

For me, personally, the problem with hide/sneak is that, if you have hide, you basically get perfect sneak on top of it for free, as long as you're smart/patient enough to not walk into occupied rooms. Which is really dumb because you're still going to do that 95% of the time when you -do- have sneak. So yeah, it's like a free skill.

Without the actual sneak skill you should either not be able to sneak, or have a very high chance of failure when you enter the command, so that you immediately break hide and begin to walk, like if there was something in the room.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby Icarus » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:29 pm

Let me see about lowering the HP of prey wildlife. I agree that if you shoot them, they should go splat.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby BoogtehWoog » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:30 pm

Explode into a shower of gore. :twisted:
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login