It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:08 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Military RP (Inspiration/Resources)

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Military RP (Inspiration/Resources)

Postby EltanimRas » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:51 am

So, I realize neither of our spheres has a traditional military clan right now, but Princeton has a [free] class up on Coursera called Paradoxes of War, and I thought some of the videos might be worth a look for folks interested in military RP.

The whole course may not be equally relevant, but I did find the Lecture 4 videos on "military values" quite thought-provoking.

Does anyone else have readings or resources they recommend?
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Re: Military RP (Inspiration/Resources)

Postby soiacc » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:57 am

The Art of War, but then that's probably an obvious one.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby WorkerDrone » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:59 am

Not that I'm saying these things/military discussions with all the regulations and tactics and such isn't useful for Military clans and their kind of RP, but right now no such clan exists that I'm aware of.

I'm kind of used to the general consensus that a lot of people aren't fans of the Batts way of running military clans, with all the admin and lore mandated restrictions put down on them, and most people preferred their private military corporation-like clans over them.

I know most of the time clans on Atonement operated like mafia families, which kind of had less formal operating standards, and other clans on old SoI definitely were used to the leeway given to them by being "out of the way" of the rules Gondor put down on their sphere.

So on that note, if anyone has similar stuff to post about the way mercenaries in a similar "technological timeframe" as SoI might have operated, I guess basically sellswords, that'd be cool to look into also.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby Hazgarn » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:03 am

The only thing I can think of is the movie Flesh+Blood, but while Rutger Hauer is always awesome, I don't think capturing a castle you can't hold and dying of plague makes for a very good business model.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby EltanimRas » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:14 am

WorkerDrone wrote:Not that I'm saying these things/military discussions with all the regulations and tactics and such isn't useful for Military clans and their kind of RP, but right now no such clan exists that I'm aware of.

I don't disagree at all, but I do want to take a moment to clarify that the specific videos I was recommending have less to do with 'regulations and tactics' (although there is some of that) than with the subjective experience of battle and its impact on how one sees things like friendship, courage, honor, discipline, etc.

They'd be more relevant to a traditional military clan, sure, but I do think they have some relevance to any PC concept involving group combat. And most of them are under 5 minutes. ;)
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby soiacc » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:13 am

This isn't Atonement. Military in Middle Earth -is- different. They take it seriously. Laketown has an army and while it might not be as flashy as Gondor or as rigidly restrictive, it's not a mercenary company and I'm sure they also have their history and traditions. The men of Dale and Lake-town are specifically known for their longbow archers, for instance, more so after Bard, but probably before too.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby someguy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:15 am

From Wikipedia but whatever: Esgaroth appears to be a city-state, always independent of Dale, and a republic with no king (the only real republic shown in Middle-earth). The people had always elected from among the old and wise the Master of Lake-town and did "not [endure] the rule of mere fighting men."

Seems like maybe they don't take it so serious after all. Their hero Bard was a hunter/bargeman, right? Not a knight?
someguy
Forum Hobbit

Postby BoogtehWoog » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:23 am

someguy wrote:Seems like maybe they don't take it so serious after all. Their hero Bard was a hunter/bargeman, right? Not a knight?

No, he was a soldier and son of the last lord of Dale. The Desolation of Smaug utterly destroyed the canon.
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby someguy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:41 am

So he was.

Still, the merchant guard is a mercenary company. I'm all for a 'realistic' portrayal of the horrors of war or whatever, but I think that we should keep the stifling atmosphere of what people assume the military to be out of it. For the most of the players, it's forcing a square peg in a round hole, anyway.
someguy
Forum Hobbit

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login