It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:50 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Damage Messages?

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Damage Messages?

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:17 am

So, a question about strength, weapons, and damage.

Joe with poor strength and a butter knife hits a dragon 'very hard', is that just a standard qualifier for how much damage you did, or is it relative to the above factors and your personal damage potential?

I.E. Does a 'very hard' hit from Conan with a great sword do more than a 'very hard' from Joeschmo with a stick? Or does Conan's strength/weapon just mean he's going to be doing more like BRUTAL MANGLING CRUSH instead of 'very hard crush'?
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Re: Damage Messages?

Postby MarsGrad » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:01 pm

I couldn't tell you the code behind it, or what factors in where, but through experience, I can say with about 99% certainty that a very hard crush from Conan with an ax is a whoooooole 'nother animal than a very hard crush Joeschmo with a stick.

No doubt it has something to do with the weapon and strength -- and probably skill as well -- of the wielder. Probably also the armor of the person being attacked, but I couldn't tell you in what quantities they each factor into each other.
MarsGrad
Verified Member

Postby Tiamat » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:46 pm

Those messages are in relation to the user. Those "very hard", "brutals", and other such messages are in relation to the damage YOU normally do. You can think of it as a personal critical damage message.

If you normally do 2-6 damage with your weapon, doing a brutal is like 2x, which is 4-12 damage.

Don't take those numbers to heart though, that's just an example, and not reflective of the actual numbers in the source code.
Tiamat
Honored Elf

Postby Onasaki » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:54 pm

I'd like to mention that there are a number of attacks sometimes in combat that return with blank lines.

Completely blank. Yet you can still get damaged, etc, but you don't see how.

I think it's leftover code from the brief UI code implemented for blind players. But it seems to bleed into normal combat.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby Tiamat » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:55 pm

Onasaki wrote:I'd like to mention that there are a number of attacks sometimes in combat that return with blank lines.

I think it's leftover code from the brief UI code implemented for blind players. But it seems to bleed into normal combat.

Would you by chance have "SET HIGHLIGHT" on? If you have this setting on, the combat messages aren't buffering properly.
Tiamat
Honored Elf

Postby Onasaki » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:00 pm

Tiamat wrote:
Onasaki wrote:I'd like to mention that there are a number of attacks sometimes in combat that return with blank lines.

Would you by chance have "SET HIGHLIGHT" on? If you have this setting on, the combat messages aren't buffering properly.

I do, actually.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby Tiamat » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:14 pm

It doesn't work properly. Please turn off SET HIGHLIGHT unless you want to see blanks. :P
Tiamat
Honored Elf

Postby Matt » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:29 pm

Glancing is small, a normal his is a minor, hard is a moderate, very hard is a severe, etc etc. I've never seen anyone hit at any of those degrees and not give that level of injury.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby krelm » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:42 pm

I've definitely seen normals hit for mods and very hards also hit for mods. It's relative to the user, like Tiamat said-- I was just reading through that part of the codebase last night out of boredom.

I could paste it all, but I feel like that would be poor form.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login