It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:47 am
Change font size

General Discussion

A good moan

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

A good moan

Postby jdidds » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:11 pm

I know this is alpha, and that many of you are new. But if someone gives you the courtesy of emoting, please emote back. Don't just walk off without doing anything, even if you character is ingnoring the emoter, then at least emote that they are doing so. You never know what fun RP is just waiting to happen.

ETA: My character may give the impression that his player is not interested in RP, but that is so NOT the case. I love RP'ing with you all in my characters quirky little ways.

No, I am not an ignorant player that thinks he is better than everyone!
Code: Select all
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Re: A good moan

Postby Hawkwind » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:15 pm

We are a different playerbase now dude, different priorities.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby jdidds » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:16 pm

Hawkwind wrote:We are a different playerbase now dude, different priorities.

That's really sad. So I guess we're not an RPI mud anymore?
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby Hawkwind » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:19 pm

I know, but I do think it is fair to say that its true. By no means is it any better or worse. But post-Atonement, things changed.
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby radioactivejesus » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:22 pm

jdidds wrote:
Hawkwind wrote:We are a different playerbase now dude, different priorities.

That's really sad.

completely untrue, from what I've experienced. Even the newbies who know no one and only type out single line emotes have had little problems getting responses to their emotes, roleplay, and enough attention to help immerse them in the sphere. Then again, orcs have always been far less cliquey than humans :p
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby tehkory » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:24 pm

Hawkwind, I'd probably not speak on things you don't have any real experience in, re: Parallel and your playtime there. I'd also not generalize an entire MUD in two posts with three sentences total.

Mr. Jdiddley M. Spot, Esquire: You -really- truly need to play a character that's proactive and has wants that intersect with other characters, forcing them to play with you. That's not changed from SoI. That's not changed from any MUD. A lot of the players we have are new and just don't know that you slow down when you see another player...and even if you 'should,' a lot of time it comes to nothing. It's just a nod or whatever. You've got to chase roleplay down, grab it by the neck, and throttle it violently or it won't happen. Even if you're an introvertPC, you really shouldn't and can't be an introvert -player-. They're too different things. One is great and acceptable, and the other probably won't get you enough scenes to entertain you.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby jdidds » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:34 pm

tehkory wrote:Hawkwind, I'd probably not speak on things you don't have any real experience in, re: Parallel and your playtime there. I'd also not generalize an entire MUD in two posts with three sentences total.

Mr. Jdiddley M. Spot, Esquire: You -really- truly need to play a character that's proactive and has wants that intersect with other characters, forcing them to play with you. That's not changed from SoI. That's not changed from any MUD. A lot of the players we have are new and just don't know that you slow down when you see another player...and even if you 'should,' a lot of time it comes to nothing. It's just a nod or whatever. You've got to chase roleplay down, grab it by the neck, and throttle it violently or it won't happen. Even if you're an introvertPC, you really shouldn't and can't be an introvert -player-. They're too different things. One is great and acceptable, and the other probably won't get you enough scenes to entertain you.

I think I've been pretty good and being active despite my characters introvert tendencies. I've tried really hard in most cases to get people to Rp with me. Except in the tavern, though I have tried there too. Sometimes going slightly out of character to draw people in. A great majority of characters just walk on by, despite me emoting. If they're new to an RPI, then that's fine, they'll come a long after a while I guess

I tend to get the impression that people think that because my character is especially introvert, then the player behind him is not interested in RP or is ignorant or something. That's really not the case.

I don't know, perhaps it was too early for a character like mine to make an appearance. Nobody seems interested in that kind of RP. Man, I miss the old days. Guess I shold role a hunter or something and join in with the rest of you.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby tehkory » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:44 pm

Emoting extensively doesn't make you a non-introvert.

You have to force your character--whether he likes it or not--into other people's spheres. You set the scene. You step in and need or want or demand things from them. Their time, their attention, their resources. You trade likewise.

Kestrel's PCs are usually astonishingly great examples of this. They usually don't like (most) people, have very limited and self-centric goals, and yet tend to end up in people's lives as a Person That Matters. I'll leave it to Kestrel to explain just how he does this, simply because I'd probably snarfagle it up if I tried.

...though some of this just might have to do with people discovering it's Kestrel, however.

ETA:
Identify what others want. Then let them know you know exactly -what- they want, and offer it to them, for whatever it is you/your PC want. And make it require an extensive scene to get both ends of it, usually.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby BoogtehWoog » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:57 pm

tehkory wrote:Mr. Jdiddley M. Spot, Esquire: You -really- truly need to play a character that's proactive and has wants that intersect with other characters, forcing them to play with you.

That is very true. My first character was failing to be interactive because I had not designed her well, so I felt the need to move onto a new one that would offer many more opportunities for interaction.
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby ThinkTwice » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:00 pm

You emoting doesn't demand my attention.

"That's cool, bro, you're moving to the bar/sitting lonesome at a table/are wet from the rain. Whatever."

Unless you target someone with your emote, they're usually not going to engage with you. Read their whole description analytically, find something interesting about them, and then have your character pick up that same intriguing thing. Stare at them awkwardly and shyly until they're like "wtf does this creeper want" and eventually ask you what your problem is, if you're so hard-set on playing an introvert. Throwing out a bunch of passive emotes and then expecting me to engage you just isn't going to happen the vast majority of the time.

The struggle your talking about has always been something of a paradox to me. People complain that the MUD has become too clique-y/not inclusive enough and then roll out an introverted character. Wut.
ThinkTwice
Honored Dwarf

Postby jdidds » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:08 pm

Wrote something. Deleted it. Can't be arsed. End of.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby Matt » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:24 pm

jdidds wrote:Wrote something. Deleted it. Can't be arsed. End of.

I'll RPz with you Jdidds. :)
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby jdidds » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:26 pm

Matt wrote:
jdidds wrote:Wrote something. Deleted it. Can't be arsed. End of.

I'll RPz with you Jdidds. :)

But I don't know who you are!!!!!!! 8-)
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby miracleed » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:35 pm

I don't agree that you 'have' to inject yourself into anyone else's sphere, force them to react to you, or upset the applecart so that people cannot help but give you some recognition.

Personally I have always found such play gauche, linear and unimaginative. The players who act that way for recognition and not conceptually as part of their character's makeup seem like scene stealers and unsophisticated bullies to me.

Something I have found (as someone who enjoys subtle RP) that one 'has' to do though, is make peace with the fact that you may be ignored by the masses and unappreciated by the player base.

If you don't talk to others, make eye contact, indulge them in their own worlds, don't expect anything back. Funny how art imitates life that way. It isn't everyone else's fault that they don't get your character. I have never found a realistic stage which redeems the introvert publicly.

Subtle RP is a refined reward. I have always found it sparingly reciprocated and almost universally unappreciated by other players. The reward that I have taken from it though is finer for that very rarity.
miracleed
Forum Hobbit

Postby Rivean » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:37 pm

tehkory wrote:Emoting extensively doesn't make you a non-introvert.

You have to force your character--whether he likes it or not--into other people's spheres.

I've seen his PC in action. The PC may be introverted but he certainly provides plenty of openings for PCs to interact with him. There's a lot to react to.

Otherwise, I never played ARPI or Parallel, re: Hawkwind's gripe, but, and one doesn't wish to be critical, things HAVE certainly changed since the last time SoI was up.

Now, granted, some of this is simply because the staff is more of focused on developing the game, but, for example, there's a significant shift in the number of typos I see in descriptions and so on.

RPwise too, there have been some changes, not all of them good, but I really don't feel like being the RP police or the wet blanket, so I'm going to leave well enough alone in that regard.

As to this specific case, I think Jdidds PCs tend not to do themselves any favors when it comes to RP accessibility. I think this is partly the cause - the other half being that yes, the playerbase is different from what it used to be.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Rivean » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:41 pm

miracleed wrote:Subtle RP is a refined reward. I have always found it sparingly reciprocated and almost universally unappreciated by other players. The reward that I have taken from it though is finer for that very rarity.

My curiosity is piqued to the point where I want to see an example of this in a log.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby toofast » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:51 pm

Matt plays The Dog.

To add on, parallel sucked.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby sod » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:58 pm

Sometimes I'm on my phone and I mess up walking or miss something. Sorry.
sod
Forum Hobbit

Postby miracleed » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:10 pm

Rivean wrote:My curiosity is piqued to the point where I want to see an example of this in a log.

Unfortunately none of my logs survived. I do take an immense amount of pride in the respect I got from the players who did recognize my characters; some of whom I consider the best players of this game.
miracleed
Forum Hobbit

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:06 pm

Even I'm a snob, but sometimes it's just not necessary. People ignore me every day as I walk to and from my parking spot. Some people even ignore me entirely, without even pausing or glancing, when I say hello to them. Furthermore, I have seen and been a part of emote-tag.

Person A enters room.

Person B is here, going opposite direction.

Person B emotes something acknowledging person A.

Person A doesn't notice in time and goes into other room.

Person B keeps moving.

Person A tries to head back and return the emote.

Person B notices person A is coming back.

Person A doesn't stop in time and goes into next room.

Person B follows.

Person A goes back.

It's... a vicious cycle.

Just stick to doing emotes in common areas - e.g., taverns - and you should be all right. Besides, you should be more concerned with controlling and developing your character than seeking the attention of others. That is, unless your character is an attention whore. If someone just walks by you, do a think, or solo-roleplay the awkwardness of a situation when someone you just greeted keeps walking past you. Improvise, damn it.
Eugene
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Hawkwind » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:34 pm

Rivean wrote:RPwise too, there have been some changes, not all of them good, but I really don't feel like being the RP police or the wet blanket, so I'm going to leave well enough alone in that regard.

As to this specific case, I think Jdidds PCs tend not to do themselves any favors when it comes to RP accessibility. I think this is partly the cause - the other half being that yes, the playerbase is different from what it used to be.

I beg you to say more my friend, coming from a respected player with a more convincing manner will be so much better than me or somebody like me trying it.
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby MrDvAnt » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:39 pm

If no one responds to your emotes, which I've never had happen, instead of immediately deciding no one roleplays maybe you should consider the possibility that your emote are boring or just plain suck.
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby Olthadir » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:02 pm

I agree with jdidds. I've noticed a huge change in difference in RP and RP opportunity. Things have changed a great deal. People don't emote like they used to, and that is true. I can spot a player from old SoI in a few minutes of being in a room.

But this is a good thing. The player base has changed, yes. I think it is a time to show off some good RP ability. I've played very introverted characters before and have had ample opportunity to RP with people, even if it is watching them and thinking. Now, that doesn't happen, not that I'm playing an introvert this time, it's still difficult to RP with a character you've never met. When I'm in the Ironwood, people are codedly sitting somewhere and are talking with little else. There are the occasional dmote and emote but nothing to work with.

I'm not all that upset, but it is different. Nevertheless I am still playing to the standard I held myself in SoI previously, if no one else is, that's nothing I can do.

But, PLEASE close doors! I don't know how many times I walk into the tavern through an open door and they just stay open when people leave or enter! This is an RPI, close the door in cold weather. If it's hot, fair enough, but dmote it to cause some RP!
Olthadir
Honored Dwarf

Postby tehkory » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:58 pm

We're in an Alpha without an established culture, looking at the past through rose-colored glasses. The spheres are more crowded than SoI-that-was often -ever- was. Of course you're going to see a greater -number- of people stepping by you. But that doesn't mean the culture's 'changed' so much as the culture isn't developed. We've got that chance now.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Olthadir » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:01 pm

tehkory wrote:We're in an Alpha without an established culture, looking at the past through rose-colored glasses. The spheres are more crowded than SoI-that-was often -ever- was. Of course you're going to see a greater -number- of people stepping by you. But that doesn't mean the culture's 'changed' so much as the culture isn't developed. We've got that chance now.

This is very true. Which is why I play to the standard I did previously. Maybe a player or two will catch on. Thats what I did when I started. I'm sure I was awful when I started, but watching people play, I got the idea of how to RP.
Olthadir
Honored Dwarf

Next

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login