It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:38 am
Change font size

General Discussion

A good moan

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: A good moan

Postby kingsfoil » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:05 am

IMO, y'all are missing the point a bit, re: how emoting style or length or frequency has changed.

Emoting != roleplaying.

A person who never emotes, and who only uses the say command with no modifiers, can be an incredible, deep, compelling roleplayer, illustrating an amazing character.

A person who writes masterful, 8 line, beautifully descriptive emotes can also (and often does) describe nothing interesting, or provide no real insight into their character.

Sometimes, "say No." is a thundering statement. Sometimes an emote is needed to convey a shade of meaning. Not always.

Honestly, I prefer succinct, 1 or 2 line emotes. I don't enjoy waiting several minutes for someone to "reply" to an emote of mine. I've got people to see, things to do!

Since emoting != roleplaying, I don't care about the quality of emoting on the MUD. I care about the quality of roleplaying. Sometimes there's a correlation, but not always.
kingsfoil
Verified Member

Postby Rivean » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:29 am

Hawkwind wrote:
Rivean wrote:RPwise too, there have been some changes, not all of them good, but I really don't feel like being the RP police or the wet blanket, so I'm going to leave well enough alone in that regard.

As to this specific case, I think Jdidds PCs tend not to do themselves any favors when it comes to RP accessibility. I think this is partly the cause - the other half being that yes, the playerbase is different from what it used to be.

I beg you to say more my friend, coming from a respected player with a more convincing manner will be so much better than me or somebody like me trying it.

I think you overestimate my street cred on these here forums, the vast majority of players have never seen me before. Either way though, it'll be really difficult for me to adequately illustrate my point without bringing up IC examples, and that's something I really don't want to do.

Also, I think there is some truth to what Kory's said to (though he seems to not regard the complaints as equally valid). I think some of what I'm presently unhappy with has always been a part of SoI. The difference though, is twofold:

a) It was less visible - the established RP culture was much stronger and exceptions were very clearly exceptions.

b) The sort of RP that makes me unhappy was much more common in certain clans and areas of the game world, and, as I was unhappy with that RP, I would not play there, and so, I would see much less of it. This is a luxury not affordable in a condensed setting like Utterby.

There is nothing to be gained however, from brow beating other people about how they're doing it wrong. The only constructive thing to be done, then, is to try and lead by example and put out the sort of RP I would like to see more of IG.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Rivean » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:36 am

kingsfoil wrote:Stuff.

While I disagree with nothing you've said (except perhaps the idea that one can, for any length of time, convincingly RP without emoting - the sparsity of relevant information detracts from the quality of the RP, in my opinion), I do think you've entirely misread this thread. Nobody here, and certainly not I, is talking about the frequency or quality of emotes.

The nature of my complaints has to do with that end product on which you and I see to be in agreement: Quality of RP.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby kestrel » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:14 am

To add to kingsfoil's point, one of the most underrated and underused tools in an RPer's playbook may be pacing. There are times when I purposefully put less into an emote or tell just so I can fire it off more quickly. I think it -does- make a difference, sometimes, -when- output reaches the screen as opposed to simply what that output is.

But that's a derail.

Kestrel's PCs usually don't like (most) people, have very limited and self-centric goals, and yet tend to end up in people's lives as a Person That Matters.

You're letting Vrai and Jain bias things! Besides which, Vrai's goals involved a Ring of Power and the extinction of two races of Men, so I'd call those ambitions something other than limited. :P But I agree about Jain. His three overriding goals life were to have sex with Blake without asphyxiating, to fly a hovercopter (and maybe crash it and make a big explosion), and to murder Sky Gaiman (preferably in some way that involved a big explosion).

The first few weeks of playing Jain were hard when it came to interacting with other characters, though. It took time to get into my PC's skin. And it was the same with my current PC (I almost stopped playing after the first few log-ins). Sometimes I make a PC and I just come to the conclusion that it's a dud. And sometimes I have vaguely similar problems to what Jdiddleymspot mentioned (and I think most new PCs do), and they aren't always easy to get past.

What I've learned to do over the years, though, is make very sure that my PC's background has at least one hook that interests me a lot on a personal level. I want there to be something that lures me into playing him through tough stretches because I'm so curious to see how X plays out. It can be something as simple as a passionate love of pheasants, but it has to be something that draws me in, at least until I've had a chance to get used to things and my PC's had a chance to find his place.

The other thing I've learned is that the first 2-3 weeks of playing a character is often the Very Best Time to do a lot of solo RP. Again, it helps you get into your character's skin. It also dovetails with the time in his or her life when s/he has the fewest in-game connections and the least likelihood of being noticed or talked to by others.

Just my two cents, though.
kestrel
Honored Dwarf

Postby Jeshin » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:17 am

I have been lazy with my RP recently! I must begin utilizing the almighty pmote. It is coming to an ironwood near you folks!
Jeshin
Elf Recruit

Postby LuckyV » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:25 am

The biggest problem I bump into is that I can't get into my character because I don't understand what the heck he's doing in Utterby in the first place.

It feels like a shelter community in a Walking Dead theme.
Apart from "Right, so.. I guess I have to survive..." there's little drive. In Osgiliath it was different. Though I believe it's just because it's Alpha and things are only taking off now.

I guess people are too confused about the whole scene IG to actually interact with other characters on a quality level.
LuckyV
Dwarf Recruit

Postby MrDvAnt » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:51 pm

kestrel wrote:To add to kingsfoil's point, one of the most underrated and underused tools in an RPer's playbook may be pacing. There are times when I purposefully put less into an emote or tell just so I can fire it off more quickly. I think it -does- make a difference, sometimes, -when- output reaches the screen as opposed to simply what that output is.

But that's a derail.

I don't think it is a derail. If we're discussing quality of roleplay, this is important. I get bored and will often decide my character has somewhere else to be when I have to wait a full minute from my last input for someone to type in a paragraph long, mush-like emote about just how they're scratching their nose while speaking to me.
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby WildGiller » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:40 pm

I assume this is because it's alpha and a lot of unanswered questions, code oddities and uncertainties are still floating around.. but I see a heck of a heck of a lot more OOC than I would have expected.

It seems like it just explodes into sharp splinters of the immersion that once was, wounding me with the cutting shards of 'LOLs' in no time and..

I've had too many beers while waiting for PP. I'll stop now :?
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Postby jimhabegger » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:02 pm

It might surprise anyone who has been following my posts, but this discussion actually reassures me about the possibilities for me in this game.
jimhabegger
Dwarf Recruit

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login