It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:27 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Teaching.

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Teaching.

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:56 pm

Is anybody intimately familiar with how teach works?

What determines succ/fail?

Is someone with Master XYZ better at teaching than someone with Familiar XYZ, or can the master just teach higher over time? Like does a successful teach from higher skills do more, or is a successful teach just +1 no matter what? Does a higher skill increase the odds of a successful teach?
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Re: Teaching.

Postby WorkerDrone » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:15 pm

It's not +1 per teach, there's a formula for it. The old broken teach could jumpstart a skill like a car, and bring it from Talented to Master in one lesson.

I don't really know how it works and I don't know anyone who could tell you either, but a successful teach will help someone gain more depending on the relative level of each individual's skill in the lesson matter.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby toofast » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:08 am

Talented to master

oh, my sides...
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Matt » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:44 pm

From personal experience at lower levels teach is a pretty powerful command. You can get to beginner in a skill in a couple successful teaches, but after that it seems to be much much lower in skill gain. I'm pretty sure the way it works is it rolls against intelligence for both parties and then uses the teachers skill level.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby jdidds » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Note: Teach should be a command that is used sparingly and not willy nilly. The teaching should be RP'd out before the teach command is used. Perhaps as much as a few sessions for especially difficult skills.
Code: Select all
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby kestrel » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:14 pm

jdidds wrote:Note: Teach should be a command that is used sparingly and not willy nilly. The teaching should be RP'd out before the teach command is used. Perhaps as much as a few sessions for especially difficult skills.

That's based on the old Teaching code. Don't just do walk-by teachings or anything but

1. teach as liberally as you want as long as there's RPed teaching going on
2. code-teach FIRST

My two cents.
kestrel
Honored Dwarf

Postby jdidds » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:20 pm

kestrel wrote:
jdidds wrote:Note: Teach should be a command that is used sparingly and not willy nilly. The teaching should be RP'd out before the teach command is used. Perhaps as much as a few sessions for especially difficult skills.

That's based on the old Teaching code. Don't just do walk-by teachings or anything but

1. teach as liberally as you want as long as there's RPed teaching going on
2. code-teach FIRST

My two cents.

Agree. Makes sense that way around. Then you can RP out your failure or success.
Code: Select all
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login