It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:21 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Perception: Skills, Stats, & Emotes

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Perception: Skills, Stats, & Emotes

Postby EltanimRas » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:10 pm

1. I've noticed we don't appear to have a 'scan' skill anymore. Does the command work off stats now? Are our PCs' scanning abilities static and unimprovable?

2. I don't think we ever had a 'search' skill, but much the same questions apply to this command as well. Is it stat-based; is one's chance of success static? [Edit, correction: The old SoI did have a search skill, as jdidds reminds me.]

3. How about our PCs' odds of picking up on hmotes and tmotes? Are they stat-based; are they static?

4. What is the average chance of an hmote being seen, anyway? Is it low enough that I should save them for really subtle stuff, or high enough that I can use them more liberally? Do group members automatically see hmotes? Tmotes?

5. What does a PC without the eavesdrop skill perceive when in a room where someone is using the 'talk' command at another table? That something's being said, but no details? Nothing at all?
Last edited by EltanimRas on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Re: Perception: Skills, Stats, & Emotes

Postby jdidds » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:12 pm

EltanimRas: Of course we had a search skill on the old SoI. I'm dissapointed.
Code: Select all
There is currently 1 soul braving the world all alone.
jdidds
Elf Recruit

Postby Letters » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:13 pm

Scan shows you anything visible in a given direction. Objects may quickly go out of sight, unless they're really big. Small mobs might not be visible three rooms out.

Search works off intelligence.

Don't know.

Never actually seen any but a tmote work, if that helps?

Scattered words.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby tehkory » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:17 pm

EltanimRas wrote:1. I've noticed we don't appear to have a 'scan' skill anymore. Does the command work off stats now? Are our PCs' scanning abilities static and unimprovable?

2. I don't think we ever had a 'search' skill, but much the same questions apply to this command as well. Is it stat-based; is one's chance of success static?

3. How about our PCs' odds of picking up on hmotes and tmotes? Are they stat-based; are they static?

4. What is the average chance of an hmote being seen, anyway? Is it low enough that I should save them for really subtle stuff, or high enough that I can use them more liberally? Do group members automatically see hmotes? Tmotes?

5. What does a PC without the eavesdrop skill perceive when in a room where someone is using the 'talk' command at another table? That something's being said, but no details? Nothing at all?

1. I do believe it's completely static, and not-at-all based on stats. Might be tied to int, though. Letters is accurate AFAIK.

2. Competing chances between Int(Searching) and Hide(Hiding).

3. Int-based.

4. Not a clue, I'm afraid, except that group members(as with using TALK) automatically see and here hmotes -and- tmotes.

5. Same as if someone was TALKing.

ETA:

Int seems to be used instead of eavesdrop, AFAI can tell, if it's high enough?
Last edited by tehkory on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby EltanimRas » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:18 pm

jdidds wrote:EltanimRas: Of course we had a search skill on the old SoI.

I was looking right at it on my old skill sheet, but I didn't see it till you told me it was there. Oops!
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby ThinkTwice » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:24 am

Hmote and tmote? In-game helpfiles aren't showing me anything, and am confused. :oops:
ThinkTwice
Honored Dwarf

Postby Rivean » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:50 pm

ThinkTwice wrote:Hmote and tmote? In-game helpfiles aren't showing me anything, and am confused. :oops:

Hidden emote and table emote. Both detectable by third parties, but I don't what the roll is against now that we don't have search/scan skills.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby tehkory » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:52 pm

ThinkTwice wrote:Hmote and tmote? In-game helpfiles aren't showing me anything, and am confused. :oops:

Hmote is hiddenemote, which is essentially an emote that may or may not go utterly unseen. Always seen by group members, bonuses to seeing it if you're targeted in it. High int helps you see others' hmotes.

Tmote is talkemote, which is essentially TALK but in emote form. Everyone sees what you emote. What you do with dialog, however, heard based on eavesdrop or int. Group members hear what you say automatically.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby EltanimRas » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:50 pm

Thanks, guys.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login