It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:20 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Old players

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

For those who are currently playing the new SoI, when did you first begin playing?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:02 pm

I just began playing the game after the revisions. Osgi? MT? Koalafarm?? Never heard of them.
11%
I started playing around the time of Koalafarm and the new MT.
13%
I started playing immediately after the fall of Osgi, when the area of MT first opened up.
19%
I played during the latter days of Osgi, just before Orcs came in and trashed the place.
13%
Have you heard of the Garrison? :)
43%

Total votes : 53

Old players

Postby likui » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:02 pm

So, I was checking out the game after being AWOL for months and it seems a lot has progressed since then. I'm seeing a lot of familiar faces and I was wondering how many of you are new to the game versus old players from before the changes.
likui
Honored Dwarf

Re: Old players

Postby tehkory » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:05 pm

likui wrote:So, I was checking out the game after being AWOL for months and it seems a lot has progressed since then. I'm seeing a lot of familiar faces and I was wondering how many of you are new to the game versus old players from before the changes.

I'm hesitant to vote on this at all, given it utterly lacks anything about Tur Erendur(which is where I started at/spent most of my time in for the first 3 PCs). Is that the "Garrison" option, or...?
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Raukran » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:07 pm

I feel like a veteran newbie.
I am not responsible for the actions of my characters.
Raukran
Unverified User

Postby MarcusSaint » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:12 pm

Five days and counting is it? Maybe 9?

I dunno.

All I know is that I'm having a blast!!

:mrgreen:
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!!
MarcusSaint
Forum Hobbit

Postby likui » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:13 pm

tehkory wrote:
likui wrote:So, I was checking out the game after being AWOL for months and it seems a lot has progressed since then. I'm seeing a lot of familiar faces and I was wondering how many of you are new to the game versus old players from before the changes.

I'm hesitant to vote on this at all, given it utterly lacks anything about Tur Erendur(which is where I started at/spent most of my time in for the first 3 PCs). Is that the "Garrison" option, or...?

To be honest, I don't know. I never played there and when I first joined the game it was just 2 months after The Garrison fell. I was just giving very general periods, using the evolution of the Osgi/MT side as a general guide. I wanted to add in the period when the Northlands first opened up, before Koalafarm, but couldn't modify the poll after submitting. :/
likui
Honored Dwarf

Postby tehkory » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:20 pm

likui wrote:
tehkory wrote:

To be honest, I don't know. I never played there and when I first joined the game it was just 2 months after The Garrison fell. I was just giving very general periods, using the evolution of the Osgi/MT side as a general guide. I wanted to add in the period when the Northlands first opened up, before Koalafarm, but couldn't modify the poll after submitting. :/

Yeah, hard to say. I didn't experience Osgiliath, or Minas Tirith, but instead went from TE to Battalions to Vok to Angost to Caolafon. Hard to place myself in a Gondor-centric timeline.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby likui » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:24 pm

Ah! I think I just remembered TE. Mordor side, right? I had a character there that lasted for only a few weeks. I think that period was around the same time MT first opened up or just a few months after.
likui
Honored Dwarf

Postby Rivean » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:33 pm

I believe TE started after MM closed, which was after MT opened.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby likui » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:40 pm

Rivean wrote:I believe TE started after MM closed, which was after MT opened.

What confuses me is if that's the town that replaced MM, where does the hometown of the FJ fit in? I had never been there and it's so long ago I have forgotten where that Southron town fit on the timeline.
likui
Honored Dwarf

Postby Matt » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:49 pm

likui wrote:
Rivean wrote:I believe TE started after MM closed, which was after MT opened.

What confuses me is if that's the town that replaced MM, where does the hometown of the FJ fit in? I had never been there and it's so long ago I have forgotten where that Southron town fit on the timeline.

Can we just pretend that never happened?
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby MrT2G » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:52 pm

MM vs OS forever! :twisted:
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Postby BoogtehWoog » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:54 pm

August 2005! :ugeek:
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby likui » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:08 pm

MrT2G wrote:MM vs OS forever! :twisted:

Good times! I was a total newb during the Osgi-MM period, so I recall tons and tons of fun mistakes. :D
likui
Honored Dwarf

Postby kestrel » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:56 pm

For a while it was Osgiliath vs. Minas Morgul, with Osgiliath's soldiers stationed in a fort called "The Eastern Garrison". I think it was several years like this. Minas Morgul was closed to players for just a little while before the Fall of Osgiliath, which in a lot of ways was the high point of SOI. That was an RPT spanning over a week, with events scheduled every night and impromptu stuff happening all the time during the day. PCs made choices that impacted the final outcome (in terms of how many PCs would get to survive). Very few players that took part came away unhappy.

Anyway, townies moved to Minas Tirith after this, countryside folk stayed in Anorien, and soldiers garrisoned Osgiliath's ruins. At that point you have a pretty good representation in the poll, as far as entry points into the game.
kestrel
Honored Dwarf

Postby Justanothacivy » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:16 pm

Treadas Rethali from the Eastern Garrison. I also played -several- MM orcs and ended up loving the gritty orcish roleplay.

Some of the most fun I've ever had in an RPI. I am looking forward to what is to come and the future of this newest version of SOI.
Things that made me smile:
Icarus wrote:I'm going to kill the next character I see doing stuff like that. I'm not joking.
Justanothacivy
Honored Dwarf

Postby Zargen » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:23 pm

My very first character was uhh...late 2002 I believe. What do I remember about him? Feeling badass for killing a wolf dual wielding a newbie knife and a hatchet he found laying around. Despite having no related skills and plain clothes.
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Endiron » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:24 pm

kestrel wrote:For a while it was Osgiliath vs. Minas Morgul, with Osgiliath's soldiers stationed in a fort called "The Eastern Garrison". I think it was several years like this. Minas Morgul was closed to players for just a little while before the Fall of Osgiliath, which in a lot of ways was the high point of SOI.

Bingo, I came in at this point in October 2004, and I've always thought it was the best time period of the game. A big part of me wishes we could reset the clock and return to that time...
Endiron
Verified Member

Postby Icristhus » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:09 pm

It went something like this:

Original game Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul

Very, very soon after: Osgiliath

A short while later: Osgiliath (The Garrison in Ithilien and Pel-Tirith in Anorien) and Minas Morgul

Several months later: Osgiliath (The Garrison combined Pel-Tirith and Pel-Dagor, now) vs Minas Morgul

A year or so later: Fall of Garrison, becomes The Eastern Vanguard (housed inside the east wall of Osgiliath). Spheres still Osgiliath vs Minas Morgul

Another year or two later (closer to 2 than 1, maybe even more than 2): Closure of Minas Morgul, Fall of Osgiliath huge RPT

Immediately afterward: Battalions housed in ruins of Osgiliath, Tur Edendor opens up, Minas Tirith presented as the human city sphere and Pel-Anorien regions as country folk RP.

At some nebulous point I don't recall in the following 1-2 years: Opening of Fahad Jafari. Was before Traithe's random return to announce our first doomed 'expansion pack': The Mines of Moria.

Past that point, I went completely away from the game for a couple of years. I know Amdir was established by the Battalions at some point, and either shortly before or after Tur Edendor (Fahad Jafari was closed shortly before this, if I recall correctly) fell and was replaced with some other random evil town with the easterlings that would eventually press to the walls of Minas Tirith.

Mines of Moria opened up as the orc sphere about a year after the 'expansion' was announced, along with the Northern town of Treeville, or whatever it was called.

After probably another year, Treeville and Mines of Moria were closed down and abandoned as a failure and we all moved south to Koala Farm.

Then, less than a full year (I believe) after Koala Farm launched, Kite bowed to the rage of the forums and closed down the game 'for three months' to reboot it as a game set in Orthanc, or whatever the Gondorian name for it was.

P.S. The vote options didn't let me pick 'Minas Tirith, before Osgiliath.' as how long I've been lurking.
Icristhus
Forum Hobbit

Postby Hazgarn » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:00 pm

I know FJ was open at the time Tur Edendor fell, because I remember rolling a short-lived character there directly after the siege. Then a short-lived character in Angost. Then a short-lived character in... I don't remember. She was meant to be a recruit for some military outfit in Gondor, but the training was being outsourced to some kind of hunting company in the sticks?

Then Atonement, and I basically quite MUDing at all after Alpha ended.

Very glad SOI has reopened. This is the longest I've managed to stay interested in a character in years. :D
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby EltanimRas » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:08 am

I met Mavery Malred in Osgiliath -- maybe 2001-ish? On dial-up, anyway.

Then promptly quit for eight years, didn't roll my first real PC till the latter half of the Old Northlands period. Played my second in late MT and Caolafon. Missed all the Mordor spheres. :/
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby krelm » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:50 pm

My first goblin PC died in the big Fall of the Garrison RPT.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby WhiteWhale » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:57 pm

Minas Morgul and the spider ravine. Just going to leave that there.
Keep Calm Chive On
WhiteWhale
Forum Hobbit

Postby likui » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:00 pm

Ah, yes! The spider ravine, aka: Minal Morgul's graveyard! :D
likui
Honored Dwarf

Postby Japheth » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:01 pm

Made an account sometime in early 2004, made a PC in Osgiliath. I was brand new to RPIs at the time and couldn't figure out who was NPCs and who was PCs or how to engage with the MUD at all, and ended up quitting.

Came back when they reopened Minas Morgul (saw it in the weekly newsletter I'd kept getting). Made a goblin, played for a while, then got made an RPA.

Fun Fact - the entire fall of Osgiliath HRPT was run from my bedroom, as Zapata (Kithrater) was visiting my place at the time and this was before the days of laptops, so he had to use my PC.
Do unto others, and then run away
http://www.futuremud.com
Japheth
Staffer Emeritus

Postby likui » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:03 pm

I had absolutely no idea, but it makes sense as I remember back when I first started you and Zapata were always working together on MM.
likui
Honored Dwarf

Next

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login