It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:07 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Old Forums

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Old Forums

Postby Rivean » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:15 am

I realize that this is probably a hard to entertain idea, but is there any chance at all that we can have the old forums back?

The column width of text is SO TINY with the [not so new] forums that it's a serious hindrance to readability. I didn't realize how much of a problem this was till today when, entirely by accident, I compared the same block of text from the forum to a paste in a notepad file.

I have a LOT OF desktop real estate at 2560 x 1440, so my notepad window was pretty wide. In the forums the same text was miles long, in my notepad window, it was very short but fat. And you know, it looked SO MUCH easier to read, whereas just the sight of the infinite column on the forums made me want to not touch it with a ten foot pole - all this for the exact same text with the exact same quantity of words.

Also the PM box is tiny - you can't see more than one medium sized paragraph without needing to scroll. Etc.

Again, I know this isn't easy, and likely isn't a priority right now, but I would really like it if somebody tried to take a wrench to the forums and either change them to something less restricted (a revert to the old 'blue' forums would be welcome) or edit, if possible, the files to make the column width wider, or even better, able to expand to window size.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Re: Old Forums

Postby EltanimRas » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:32 am

This post brought to you by the Wall of Text Foundation ... of which Riv is a not-so-secret agent.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby likui » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:40 am

I wanted to click "like" on Rivaen's post, but I can't because you have failed to implement a "like" button. I would like to amend Rivaen's proposal to include that as well. :lol:

Actually, for me it's not the column width, but the background color. The previous color scheme was easier on the eyes.
Last edited by likui on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
likui
Honored Dwarf

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:42 am

likui wrote:I wanted to click "like" on Rivaen's post, but I can't because you have failed to implement a "like" button. I would like to amend Rivaen's proposal to include that as well. :lol:

Actually, for me it's not the column width (using laptop), but the background color. The previous color scheme was easier on the eyes.

What is easier than black text on white BG? O.o
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby WhiteWhale » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:44 am

It would be nice to have the color scheme back as the old forums. Just seemed to fit.
Keep Calm Chive On
WhiteWhale
Forum Hobbit

Postby Rivean » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:45 am

TEST:

John Ronald Reuel Tolkien was born on 3 January 1892 in Bloemfontein in the Orange Free State (now Free State Province in South Africa) to Arthur Reuel Tolkien (1857–1896), an English bank manager, and his wife Mabel, née Suffield (1870–1904). The couple had left England when Arthur was promoted to head the Bloemfontein office of the British bank for which he worked. Tolkien had one sibling, his younger brother, Hilary Arthur Reuel, who was born on 17 February 1894.[15]

As a child, he was bitten by a large baboon spider in the garden, an event some think later echoed in his stories, although Tolkien admitted no actual memory of the event and no special hatred of spiders as an adult. In another incident, a young family servant, who thought Tolkien a beautiful child, took the baby to his kraal to show him off, returning him the next morning.[16]

When he was three, he went to England with his mother and brother on what was intended to be a lengthy family visit. His father, however, died in South Africa of rheumatic fever before he could join them.[17] This left the family without an income, so Tolkien's mother took him to live with her parents in Kings Heath,[18] Birmingham. Soon after, in 1896, they moved to Sarehole (now in Hall Green), then a Worcestershire village, later annexed to Birmingham.[19] He enjoyed exploring Sarehole Mill and Moseley Bog and the Clent, Lickey and Malvern Hills, which would later inspire scenes in his books, along with Worcestershire towns and villages such as Bromsgrove, Alcester, and Alvechurch and places such as his aunt Jane's farm of Bag End, the name of which he used in his fiction.[20]
Birmingham Oratory, where Tolkien was a parishioner and altar boy, (1902–1911)

Mabel Tolkien taught her two children at home. Ronald, as he was known in the family, was a keen pupil.[21] She taught him a great deal of botany and awakened in him the enjoyment of the look and feel of plants. Young Tolkien liked to draw landscapes and trees, but his favourite lessons were those concerning languages, and his mother taught him the rudiments of Latin very early.[22]

He could read by the age of four and could write fluently soon afterwards. His mother allowed him to read many books. He disliked Treasure Island and The Pied Piper and thought Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll was "amusing but disturbing". He liked stories about "Red Indians" and the fantasy works by George MacDonald.[23] In addition, the "Fairy Books" of Andrew Lang were particularly important to him and their influence is apparent in some of his later writings.[24]
King Edward's School in Birmingham, where Tolkien was a student (1900–1902, 1903–1911)[25]

Mabel Tolkien was received into the Roman Catholic Church in 1900 despite vehement protests by her Baptist family,[26] which stopped all financial assistance to her. In 1904, when J.R.R. Tolkien was 12, his mother died of acute diabetes at Fern Cottage in Rednal, which she was renting. She was then about 34 years of age, about as old as a person with diabetes mellitus type 1 could live without treatment — insulin would not be discovered until two decades later. Mabel Suffield Tolkien lies buried in St. Peter's Roman Catholic churchyard, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire.[27] Nine years after her death, Tolkien wrote, "My own dear mother was a martyr indeed, and it is not to everybody that God grants so easy a way to his great gifts as he did to Hilary and myself, giving us a mother who killed herself with labour and trouble to ensure us keeping the faith."[28]

Prior to her death, Mabel Tolkien had assigned the guardianship of her sons to her close friend, Fr. Francis Xavier Morgan of the Birmingham Oratory, who was assigned to bring them up as good Catholics. In a 1965 letter to his son Michael, Tolkien recalled the influence of his guardian: "[Morgan] was an upper-class Welsh-Spaniard Tory, and seemed to some just a pottering old gossip. He was—and he was not. I first learned charity and forgiveness from him; and in the light of it pierced even the 'liberal' darkness out of which I came, knowing more about 'Bloody Mary' than the Mother of Jesus—who was never mentioned except as an object of wicked worship by the Romanists."[29]

After his mother's death, Tolkien grew up in the Edgbaston area of Birmingham and attended King Edward's School, Birmingham, and later St. Philip's School. In 1903, he won a Foundation Scholarship and returned to King Edward's. While a pupil there, Tolkien was one of the cadets from the school's Officers Training Corps who helped "line the route" for the 1910 coronation parade of King George V. Like the other cadets from King Edward's, Tolkien was posted just outside the gates of Buckingham Palace.[30]

In Edgbaston, Tolkien lived there in the shadow of Perrott's Folly and the Victorian tower of Edgbaston Waterworks, which may have influenced the images of the dark towers within his works.[31][32] Another strong influence was the romantic medievalist paintings of Edward Burne-Jones and the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood; the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery had a large collection of works on public display.[33]
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Rivean » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:57 am

(Edited, removed uploaded image because it's not loading properly due to size and, ironically, forum width weirdness).

Compare the above column of text to the original from wikipedia here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolkien#Childhood

The previous post is a line or two short of thechildhood section, and no more.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Frigga » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:56 am

Right now, obviously, we are focusing on fixing playability issues and crashes so this isn't a priority likely for some time.

Again, I know this isn't easy, and likely isn't a priority right now, but I would really like it if somebody tried to take a wrench to the forums and either change them to something less restricted (a revert to the old 'blue' forums would be welcome) or edit, if possible, the files to make the column width wider, or even better, able to expand to window size.

The forums look great on my much more humble machine. :lol: And for someone who doesn't want to touch the forums with a ten foot pole you still manage some rather prodigious posts, Sir. ;)

In all seriousness though, the reason we switched to the current forum set up (and attached website) is for ease of use and if need be updates by those not as savvy at those things (AKA myself) the older website took a lot more backwork and resources to get working. I wouldn't be keen to switching back to something that if need be I couldn't fix or work on.

And hard-customizing the forums to be perfect on one person's set up versus another always leaves someone or someone's machine in the dust. Particularly with the ever growing number of options (smartphones, tablets, laptops, desktops etc) that people might be connecting to the site with.

What I might recommend for people who want to have "Fit to Window" and customized color background options is add-ons in their browser designed to do just that. I also recommend the Lazarus add-on if you use Firefox and are prone like me to losing long forums posts. :lol:

Ones to consider:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... el/?src=ss

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ry/?src=ss

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... nt/?src=ss
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby Rivean » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:19 pm

I recommend the Lazarus plugin to everyone here, particularly since our forums have a habit of sometimes logging one out randomly.

Otherwise, I'm sorry to say that the addons above aren't helping - the problem is not that the text is too small. That can easily be adjusted in your web browser settings.

The problem is that the WIDTH of the text column on the forums is fixed and it's fixed to be very small - it holds much less text PER LINE, leading even moderately long posts to stretch on for miles, which makes reading unpleasant. On the old forums, the width of the text column would expand to whatever your browser window was open to, eliminating the problem entirely. Here, let me illustrate the problem:

Old Forums, text column width NOT fixed wrote:John Ronald Reuel Tolkien was born on 3 January 1892 in Bloemfontein in the Orange Free State (now Free State Province in South Africa) to Arthur Reuel Tolkien (1857–1896), an English bank manager, and his wife Mabel, née Suffield (1870–1904). The couple had left England when Arthur was promoted to head the Bloemfontein office of the British bank for which he worked. Tolkien had one sibling, his younger brother, Hilary Arthur Reuel, who was born on 17 February 1894.[15]

VS.

New Forums, text column width fixed wrote:John Ronald Reuel Tolkien
was born on 3 January
1892 in Bloemfontein in
the Orange Free State
(now Free State Province
in South Africa) to Arthur
Reuel Tolkien (1857–1896),
an English bank manager,
and his wife Mabel, née
Suffield (1870–1904). The
couple had left England
when Arthur was promoted
to head the Bloemfontein
office of the British bank
for which he worked.
Tolkien had one sibling,
his younger brother, Hilary
Arthur Reuel, who was born
on 17 February 1894.[15]

Do you see how much less pleasant the second column is? That is, on a small scale, what's happening with our forums. Even posts of a moderate length seem stupidly long.

More scroll is bad.

Also, if someone who knows how to do these things can make the column width a floating thing, that would solve the problem for displays of all sizes.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login