It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:34 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Unpopular Opinions Thread

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby Rivean » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:41 pm

Is it me, or does it suck to be a Spanish speaking country in this world cup?
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby MarcusSaint » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:43 pm

Rivean wrote:Is it me, or does it suck to be a Spanish speaking country in this world cup?

I take it you're including the USA?

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Para Español, marque dos.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!!
MarcusSaint
Forum Hobbit

Postby Letters » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:51 pm

Brazil, 7-1. Spain and that 5-1 loss, yep. Uruguay lost to Colombia, who in turn lost to Brazil, and Suarez just could not keep his teeth in check.

Did I miss anywhere? It seemingly sucks to be Spanish-speaking, quite right.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby Seiryoku » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:36 pm

Well, Brazilians don't speak Spanish.
Seiryoku
Verified Member

Postby Letters » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:42 pm

Ah-durr. Yeah, I know. Portuguese, of course. The 7-1 there just stuck in my mind over basic knowledge for a moment. :?

Argentina might still do okay, but I'm quietly hopefully for the Netherlands.
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby radioactivejesus » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:15 pm

MarsGrad wrote:
radioactivejesus wrote:Humans wearing warg or wolf leather armour is really really strange.

Wargs? Definitely agree. Wolves? Not so much. No more then bears or boars. They're just animals -- dangerous, but not inherently evil.

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Wolf
not inherently, ya. But there's been so many instances of 'wolves are evil' in the books that I've always pictured them being viewed as such by the general population. Then again, Utterby is in a rough, poor and distant part of the world that can't afford to squander too many resources, so wearing wolf pelts feels kind of thematic for certain pc's.
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Justanothacivy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:18 pm

Soccer is a real sport.

Soccer fans are not violent maniacs.

Soccer, much like long distance running, is fun to watch.
Things that made me smile:
Icarus wrote:I'm going to kill the next character I see doing stuff like that. I'm not joking.
Justanothacivy
Honored Dwarf

Postby radioactivejesus » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:58 pm

Justanothacivy wrote:Soccer is a real sport.

The Canadian flowchart to real sports. I made this to educate you unwashed heathens
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:54 pm

The Rolling Stones are basically just a Chuck Berry cover band.
Eugene
Dwarf Recruit

Postby hobbitboots » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:13 pm

Here's an unpopular opinion for you.

This belongs in the OOC forum. :geek:
hobbitboots
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Hazgarn » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:21 pm

hobbitboots wrote:Here's an unpopular opinion for you.

This belongs in the OOC forum. :geek:

I don't think the OP intended for it to be OOC. It's just been derailed within an inch of its life. :|
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby Jeshin » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:37 pm

I think it was derailed so as to prevent it become a truly negative thread. Instead it's kind of chuckle worthy. Good job by the community really.
Jeshin
Elf Recruit

Postby EltanimRas » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:34 am

tehkory wrote:To start of my devil's advocacy...group close prevents [follow].

If 'follow' meant follow, 'group close' wouldn't prevent it, and it wouldn't show me all your hmotes and talk conversations. 'Follow' means 'join group'.

Also, Ramadan is the best month ever. (We have more than 20 hours a day of power!)
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Rivean » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:32 am

Justanothacivy wrote:Soccer is a real sport.

Soccer fans are not violent maniacs.

Soccer, much like long distance running, is fun to watch.

Soccer is called football in the civilized world.

ETA: And 'football' is rugby for pansies :P

Whaddaya say Hawkwind?
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby ThinkTwice » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:03 am

I really wanted the US to win the World Cup, because then we'd have a legitimate claim to force the rest of the world to call it soccer until someone took it from us. :D
ThinkTwice
Honored Dwarf

Postby Letters » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:08 am

Speaking as someone who grew up playing rugby, American football seems rather bizarre.
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby Jeshin » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:10 am

It occurs to me that baseball is just a shorter form of cricket.
Jeshin
Elf Recruit

Postby Rivean » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:24 am

Jeshin wrote:It occurs to me that baseball is just a shorter form of cricket.

Baseball is Cricket for people who lack the appreciation for subtlety that is required for a proper enjoyment of the great game itself.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:21 pm

The staff favoritism is painfully obvious, it's like some staff don't even care.

Don't cross the staff favorites or their friends upstairs will delete items off your character without a word to you and jump down your throat on their behalf. Extra funny is this coming right around the time that Nimrod (not the staffer in question) told me 'everything in game is IC'.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby MarsGrad » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:27 pm

RiderOnTheStorm wrote:The staff favoritism is painfully obvious, it's like some staff don't even care.

Don't cross the staff favorites or their friends upstairs will delete items off your character without a word to you.

Hate to say it, but I actually agree with Rider.

I mean I love the staff here, and think they're doing some amazing fantastic work. I hated the headache staffing a MUSH -- I can only imagine the migraines a MUD probably drums up. That said... there are times where I can't help but wonder if there is some favoritism at work. Even if there isn't, the very fact that it /seems/ like there is at times, is probably an issue in and of itself.
MarsGrad
Verified Member

Postby Songweaver » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:28 pm

Canadians aren't so bad.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby MrDvAnt » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:30 pm

EltanimRas wrote:

If 'follow' meant follow, 'group close' wouldn't prevent it, and it wouldn't show me all your hmotes and talk conversations. 'Follow' means 'join group'.

Also, Ramadan is the best month ever. (We have more than 20 hours a day of power!)

Minus the Ramadan, this. By typing follow while in a pvp situation, you are using a player's ooc oversight to your advantage. Yes, they forgot to close their group, that doesn't make it IC to have automagical following abilities and see through their stealth if they manage to hide and try to sneak away. Knowing the various ways to break follow is a part of being familiar with code, and has nothing to do with the IC conditions that should determine the outcome of the battle.
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby MarsGrad » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:44 pm

MrDvAnt wrote:
EltanimRas wrote:

Minus the Ramadan, this. By typing follow while in a pvp situation, you are using a player's ooc oversight to your advantage. Yes, they forgot to close their group, that doesn't make it IC to have automagical following abilities and see through their stealth if they manage to hide and try to sneak away. Knowing the various ways to break follow is a part of being familiar with code, and has nothing to do with the IC conditions that should determine the outcome of the battle.

I'm not even sure I have that much of an opinion on this entire thing, but... To be fair...

You just shot/stabbed/attacked someone. Just as it's a bit twinkish to make use of code to follow someone, it's also a bit twinkish to just assume you could then pull a ninja vanish without anyone even knowing where you went.

ETA: You can't even say 'well they should have used watch' because then that's exact same thing as saying 'well they should have used group close.'
MarsGrad
Verified Member

Postby EltanimRas » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:02 pm

MarsGrad wrote:You just shot/stabbed/attacked someone. Just as it's a bit twinkish to make use of code to follow someone, it's also a bit twinkish to just assume you could then pull a ninja vanish without anyone even knowing where you went.

I oppose both ninja follow and ninja vanish, personally. ;)
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby tehkory » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:11 pm

EltanimRas wrote:
MarsGrad wrote:You just shot/stabbed/attacked someone. Just as it's a bit twinkish to make use of code to follow someone, it's also a bit twinkish to just assume you could then pull a ninja vanish without anyone even knowing where you went.

I oppose both ninja follow and ninja vanish, personally. ;)

Yeah. The situation I used it in was: get shot at, break off, search. Find person, emote at person, person immediately leaves. Go after, then use the follow command, still emoting. It's less ninja follow and more 'following because that's what my PC is going to do, indefinitely.' I'd have continued, even if said PC had group closed. It was simply freeing my hands to try and emote after the PC.
tehkory
Master Ent

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login