It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:23 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Re: Keywords

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Postby someguy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:06 am

A blob of human flesh is here, taking up valuable space.
l blob
You do not see that here.
l human
l flesh
l valuable
l taking
ooc Yo, dude, please set keywords blob human flesh. Thanks.

Now, granted, this doesn't work in a PvP fight when it actually matters, and granted it's annoying as hell when longdescs don't match up with shortdescs which is a problem that cannot be solved using the set keywords command. But, there is a quasi solution that doesn't require staff support. So, yeah, guides, up your game when reviewing apps.
someguy
Forum Hobbit

Postby Matt » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:13 am

When a PC goes through and sets specific keywords when creating a character, can those be changed? Can I have all my keywords set to my sdesc, get in game, and go set keywords sadfasfdsafdsa? Cause those preset keywords going in game should have to be changed by a staffer. Recently in PvP there was a guy that literally had like 1 of his words in his sdesc set as a keyword. That kind of stuff to me is cheating.

There should be rules. Your keywords are all the descriptive words in both your sdesc and ldesc and your name. Those cannot be changed. I'd really like if ldesc and sdesc had to match as well cause it's just obnoxious to me when they're completely different.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby someguy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:58 am

You can't change the original keywords to remove them, but you can mistakenly remove any keywords you add later. I think that if guides can't get a handle on it, chargen should be changed so that instead of picking a sdesc, a ldesc, and keywords, you pick your shortdesc and then it automatically generates an sdesc + is here longdesc and keywords.

Then, people can use set keywords to add whatever other keywords they want to later on once they're IG.
someguy
Forum Hobbit

Postby krelm » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:38 pm

Back when chargen was game-based, you didn't have to set your own keywords because the game genned them for you. Not sure if it's possible for the game to generate keywords via a web-based chargen client, but I'm hardly a coder.

As it stands, yeah, guides/staff need to pay more attention to that jazz, because it's super annoying.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby tehkory » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:11 pm

Some part of this appears to be a bug, where people's keywords(even when they have them set) aren't registering. It's obviously not all, but the bug does pop up(I've seen it 4-5 times myself).
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Eru » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:15 am

Hard to tell if it's a bug or not but if it happens to be, I'm sure Nimrod would be on it pretty quickly. I tried to make staff aware of this in the Staff Queries thread so hopefully they can push Guides and fellow staffers to pay better attention to these small details when accepting applications through if it doesn't happen to be a bug.

Every word of your sdesc and ldesc should be included as a keyword. It's for targetting purposes, not geared towards personal preference.
Eru
Guide

Postby Japheth » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:20 pm

krelm wrote:Back when chargen was game-based, you didn't have to set your own keywords because the game genned them for you. Not sure if it's possible for the game to generate keywords via a web-based chargen client, but I'm hardly a coder.

As it stands, yeah, guides/staff need to pay more attention to that jazz, because it's super annoying.

That may have been added later, but you always had to add them in Shadows of Isildur. I don't think you had to in ARPI though.

It honestly should not be hard to automatically do, it's basically just a text-splitting exercise. Could always be done at commence if it's too hard in the web-thing.
Do unto others, and then run away
http://www.futuremud.com
Japheth
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Inzannadee » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:47 pm

According to the character generator, in the keywords field, it says, "Enter keywords used to target your character. Avoid common words such as man or wolf."

While I don't agree with that, I did follow the directions. Maybe this needs to reconsidered by staff and changed?
Inzannadee
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Alcarin » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:16 pm

Inzannadee wrote:According to the character generator, in the keywords field, it says, "Enter keywords used to target your character. Avoid common words such as man or wolf."

While I don't agree with that, I did follow the directions. Maybe this needs to reconsidered by staff and changed?

I actually brought that up in the staff forums, this morning. We should have a final word on that soon, I think.
Alcarin

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login