It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:44 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Over abudance

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Over abudance

Postby Gobbo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:09 am

It seems obvious to me that food and hides are so gosh darn easy to get in the human sphere. The safe area outside of utterby is great..except the rewards out there are so plentiful there is scarce away to take risk across the river except for iron.

We are in the dead of winter and no one is close to going hungry. I think things are a little too easy. Hunting could use a bit of a balance pass from what I've seen too.

I'm not really a fan of making things a chore for players but a balance should be struck between lots of goods and not enough goods. Particularly in the winter.

My selfish reason for this is I want to do farming when its released, its something I'll have to do in the summer months and stockpile food. But if food is never in demand farmers will go broke. It does occur to me that perhaps farming will have other things to do like sheep shearing for clothing..but I'd be annoyed if no farms are for food just cause of this issue.
Gobbo
Honored Dwarf

Re: Over abudance

Postby Songweaver » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:17 am

Having seasonal mob loads would be nice, for the huntable wildlife. Different animals in different seasons (and in varying numbers) would be an immersive way to go about it.

ETA: Not sure that I agree about food/hunger, though. While I don't think it's hard to go get more food, I think that the sheer amount of food it takes to fill up is insane sometimes.

So: I'd like to see huntable mobs become less numerous in the winter months, but I'd also like to see food be much more filling.

I shouldn't have to eat two boars an in-game day to live.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Throttle » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:57 am

There's a little bit of seasonal stuff going on -- bears aren't around in the winter. I'm assuming they're gone because they're hibernating, at least, and not because of a bug.

The thing is that if it's made so that there's much less to hunt for a RL month (the IG winter), the game would get really boring for a lot of people. In my experience, excess food and hides just isn't something that can be avoided. The same happened on Atonement and Parallel.

The game has to offer enough animals for people who don't go overboard, which in turn allows those who do go overboard to hunt too much. At least the meat and hides are of no real value. It's one of those things where people just have to pretend there's still a reason to hunt.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Jeshin » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:10 am

Over abundance is an issue, but it's not particularly an issue we have right now. It has a lot to do with IC realism as well as player ratios and yada yada yada. Lets make a list!

1. Every OOC day is 4 IG days.
2. A significant majority of the human playerbase are combatants or hunters. Game design dictates they must be allowed to exercise their play style. So each one should be able to bring in at least 1 carcass an IG day.
3. Although it requires a lot of food to get full, you can get that food from one kill. People do not spend money on food, but the Guard/Lodge constantly have to resupply their kitchen because of how quickly they cycle through meat.
4. The average wealth the staff are aiming for requires a quantity over quality approach to meat. In order to allow people to hunt and make money the butchering crafts give almost excessive meat. This meat is then extremely low in value. Once purchase (by the Ironwood) very little is ever resold to the population. But upside is hunters have a steady source of PC transaction income.
5. It is possible that staff are going to be super clever and have winter load different NPCs with less meat so it will actually become scarce in winter.
6. If you want to ROLEPLAY winter causing difficulty, then feel free to do so, I imagine that such quality RP will breed at least the illusion that times are tighter and leaner even if codedly that isn't 100% true.
Jeshin
Elf Recruit

Postby Gobbo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:53 am

I heard of a PC killing 8 bucks in one day, that is concerning, disregarding the season. 8 bucks probably feeds the pbase for a few days.
Gobbo
Honored Dwarf

Postby Real » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:57 am

I really think there are bigger fish to fry than the amount of bucks a PC hunts.
Everything gets smaller now the further that I go
Towards the mouth and the reunion of the known and the unknown
Consider yourself lucky if you think of it as home
You can move mountains with your misery if you don't
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby Jeshin » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:59 am

We have hunting crafts that spawn NPCs, so that isn't surprising.
Jeshin
Elf Recruit

Postby EltanimRas » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:06 am

Jeshin wrote:We have hunting crafts that spawn NPCs, so that isn't surprising.

You know, it might be neat if the timers on those crafts could vary according to the season.

(Under the current setup, I suspect this would require separate crafts. Then again, separately branching winter-hunting, spring-hunting, etc. craftsets might not be entirely illogical. It'd also let the craft-echoes reflect the season, which could be fun.)

/idlespeculation
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Droll » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:15 am

I would like to point out said PC who killed that many bucks fully agrees that the difficulty to succeed at flushing some of these animals should be dramatically increased.

But yes, being able to bring in as much meat as we currently can, no one is going to go hungry in the slightest throughout the winter. I like the idea of tweaking timers as the season changes.
[A burning comet headed straight for your head is online. Use NOTIFY to reply in kind.]
Droll
Honored Dwarf

Postby Zargen » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:40 pm

On the topic of seasonal npcs for hunting. Id like to see "easy" game all but gone during the winter season. With an increase in hungry predators looking to fill their empty bellies.
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login