It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:10 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Human Pregnancy: Midwifery

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Human Pregnancy: Midwifery

Postby Inzannadee » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:50 am

Being a great believer of the old tradition of midwives (having had a few kids RL of my own and having tried both doctors and midwives), I think I'd much rather see pregnant women going to a WOMAN who specializes in just that, preferably a more seasoned woman. This would create a very lovely role and a more authentic flavor (time-period-wise) to our setting.

Thoughts?
Inzannadee
Dwarf Recruit

Re: Human Pregnancy: Midwifery

Postby EltanimRas » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:04 am

1. Utterby is a relatively small town; midwifery is unlikely to provide, by itself, full-time employment for anyone. While we may see midwife/mother or midwife/seamstress or any other number of combinations in the vNPC population, midwife/healer is inevitably going to be the most common among PCs.

2. That said, not every healer in-game will also be a midwife, even if we don't have separately coded skills for midwifery and healing. Many people will indeed choose to RP generalists (if for no other reason that that this nets them the greatest quantity and broadest variety of roleplay opportunities), but others will RP as field medics, midwives, herbalists, etc. I suspect you'll find more male PCs gravitate toward the 'field medic' niche and more female PCs toward the 'midwife' one, but ...

3. SoI has a long-standing policy of not limiting roles by PC gender. Just as we're allowed to play female soldiers and hunters, we're allowed to play male midwives. Of course, other players are equally welcome to roleplay their characters as surprised, confused, offended, or unwilling to avail themselves of our non-gender-normative PCs' services.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby tehkory » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:08 am

I think it's better to play the roles you want to see. Posting the way you want to see and how you think they ought to be played is a bit RP policey. I don't think that's what you mean here, though.

I like the idea of more healer-oriented roleplay, but I don't think there's enough roleplay available for healers to 'specialize' like this. It's often hard enough of a role to play without intentionally limiting it.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Fulgrim » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:17 am

This role is significantly boosted in opportunities within the Utterby sphere with the change to there being no free healer, for anyone, now. I imagine that doesn't exactly mean there'll be more chances to RP being a midwife, exactly, but it means that people pretty much will want to go to you before they blow their hard earned coin on a bunch of wounds they got while out on patrol/the hunt/that last battle.
(Morgoth):
I had a part in everything.
Twice I destroyed the light and twice I failed.
I left ruin behind me when I returned.
But I also carried ruin with me.
She, the mistress of her own lust.
Fulgrim
Roleplay Admin

Postby EltanimRas » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:05 pm

On the other hand, if you feel your PC would ICly choose a female midwife, but you find yourself only encountering male PC healers in-game, perhaps a compromise solution might be to offer some tangentially related RP to those male healers?

Say you're seeing a NPC or vNPC midwife for the pregnancy and/or birth, but have her send you (or choose to go yourself) to one of the male PCs to get supplemental advice or treatment for your fatigue, nausea, swollen feet, etc. Or for some more serious issue, if you're up for it. Make up an excuse to ask them to take a look at your newborn afterward.

I suspect the real goal of [this part of] the policy is to see admin-supported roleplay entertain as many players as possible, not to force the introduction of anachronistic prenatal care. ;)

Fun links:

Wise Women and Medical Men: Obstetrics and Gynecology in the Middle Ages
'Get Me Out': Making Babies Through The Ages
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login