It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:44 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Staff Animations and Us.

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Staff Animations and Us.

Postby Rivean » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:15 am

So I've seen several spontaneous staff animations and they really add to the atmosphere a lot. Kudos for taking the time.

I am wondering though what sort of behavior staff would like to see from players when they're animating? I've always thought it a bit cheesy that players will pounce en masse on a staff animated NPC sometimes, just because they know it's staff and therefore must be special :P

Would you like us to directly interact with the animated NPC more? Are you open to being engaged in ongoing IC conversations?

Would you rather we simply acknowledged your contribution but not directly involve ourselves with your NPC (this is what I tend to do unless my PC has a good reason to do otherwise)?

How can we make this more fun and rewarding for staff animators?
Rivean
Honored Elf

Re: Staff Animations and Us.

Postby Icarus » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:58 am

Seeing people "perk up" to animations is one of the fun things, but acting natural until the tentacle of death eats you is usually awesome.

I encourage folks to just act naturally. RP a bit more, since you know we are watching, but don't swarm the NPC just because it's animated. Thinks are nice during these situations as well!

Also, keep in mind all of our NPCs are flawed individuals.

The Captain, for instance, clearly has a harder bent on things than Gararic or an overseer might. Kennath might be a liar, or just wrong about some bit of lore. These are characters, rather than personifications of staffers, and have their own priorities and agendas.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby EltanimRas » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:02 am

I just want to know whether or not it's cool to ask Rosanna if she has a boyfriend when I see her emote clearing a table. :P

[I mean, um, thanks, Icarus!]
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Frigga » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:15 am

Would you like us to directly interact with the animated NPC more? Are you open to being engaged in ongoing IC conversations?

Would you rather we simply acknowledged your contribution but not directly involve ourselves with your NPC (this is what I tend to do unless my PC has a good reason to do otherwise)?

Either is obviously a legitimate choice.

I think for me the biggest thing is - smaller animations and animations of bigwigs are how I personally (IE myself, Frigga) tend to work on getting people involved in "the Bigger Picture" rather than the more ... vibrant plot hooks other staffers might choose. :twisted:

So - people totally spam walking through a room or ignoring the whole thing can get mildly frustrating when later people comment how they aren't involved in things. There might have been an attempt you totally blew off. ;) So, even if your PC is a bit of a curmudgeon, hermit, or general hater, being engaged enough to RP (or think about) how annoyed, bored, agitated, or generally unhappy they are about thing/person X might give them an entry into the wider world of things going on by just taking a moment to listen. Stand there and roll your eyes, or sigh, or - whatever. I promise not to take it too personally. :lol:

This is the same advise I'd give people who want to make it clear that they are IC RPing ignoring someone or something, and just not as a player spam walking by people.
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby Frigga » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:15 am

Rosanna may or may not have her eye on someone, ask her sometime. ;)
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login