It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:22 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Presence

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Presence

Postby teepu » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:55 pm

Holmes wrote:I think this is live, or will be in the near future.

Is it? The 30 days bit or only the usable pre?
teepu
Guide

Postby Matt » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:07 pm

Couldn't target presence just now.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Droll » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:02 pm

Matt wrote:Couldn't target presence just now.

Your body and mind are still recovering from your last upgrade.

I'm guessing this got put on hold a bit because of the crashing.
[A burning comet headed straight for your head is online. Use NOTIFY to reply in kind.]
Droll
Honored Dwarf

Postby Matt » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:47 pm

Is this in?
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Alcarin » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:48 pm

There'll be an announcement if this goes in.
Alcarin

Postby Melkor » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:39 am

Sorry for the necro, but why didn't this get implemented?

Echoing what virtually everyone in the thread said, I completely disagree with a stat that tries to code my character's personality. This should be determined by roleplay and character design.

Presence Helpfile wrote:General: Presence

Presence will represent the strength of someone's innate draw as a factor of their personality, their aptitude for leading and influencing, and the base ability of all creatures to be drawn and influenced by music, tale, and an inspirational spirit. Specifically, Presence plays a crucial role in skills such as MUSIC, HAGGLE, and HANDLE skills, and directly impacts the success of commands like RETREAT and RESCUE.

See Also: Score Stats

Last Updated: Friday, 12 December 2014, by EltanimRas

I can see it for something like music and haggle, but those could both just as easily be governed by dexterity and intelligence. Retreat and rescue could be some combination of agility, dexterity, and willpower. To me, this seems like a stat we don't need.
“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby Ceredir » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:56 am

Sorry, confused. What didn't get implemented? Presence has been targetable in Upgrade for a while now, as far as I know?
I don't always test my code.
But when I do I do it on the player port.
Ceredir
Journeyman Architect

Postby Songweaver » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:36 am

Targetable in upgrade, but the argument is towards whether or not Presence really is necessary. It sort of (spiritually) replaces Aura from old SOI, which was primarily used (besides during Power's brief, unfortunate reign) as a "gimme plot if I'm the highest Aura in a room" sign. While all of the other stats (besides Dex, which is slightly under-used) do important things and demand careful consideration depending on character builds, Presence is almost universally dumped because it's just not considered important.

And I don't believe the answer is to make it more important. That'd just make it harder to utilize other stats effectively. I just don't think it's necessary at all, and as Melkor said, the few coded things that it does can easily be re-appropriated to other stats (like Dex, perhaps). That's just my opinion, but I don't know that I've heard of anyone actually purposefully rolling high Presence in SOI3.

It's not a problem unique to SOI, either. I've never really liked that D&D and many tabletop games use a Charisma stat either. That sort of thing really should be decided by roleplay.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby cfelch » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:38 am

I agree and disagree with the Charisma bit.

Basing it on roleplay is then basing it on the player stats, and not the character stat.

Much like intelligence or wisdom, it can be hard to roleplay something effectively that the player does not fully understand themselves.
Every point ever made was an argument.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby Melkor » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:37 pm

Ceredir wrote:Sorry, confused. What didn't get implemented? Presence has been targetable in Upgrade for a while now, as far as I know?

Oh it is? I thought I remember it not letting me when I used it. Maybe not. Well, that's something at least.
“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hawkwind » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:29 pm

My PC has great presence, sort if regret it. Its my highest stat.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby radioactivejesus » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:08 pm

Hawkwind wrote:My PC has great presence, sort if regret it. Its my highest stat.

high presence gets you noticed. Clearly your PC isn't an operator
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login