It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:54 am
Change font size

General Discussion

TMS and TMC Voting

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

TMS and TMC Voting

Postby Melkor » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:12 am

When do we get vote buttons so we can bring in more traffic to the website?

The listings for TMC and TMS are not even updated.

www.topmudsites.com
www.mudconnect.com
“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Re: TMS and TMC Voting

Postby Nimrod » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:10 am

We're in Alpha right now. We won't be thinking about doing any advertising or asking people to vote until we reach full open, which will be anywhere from six months to a year from now. We're very close to Beta and after that things should move much more quickly.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Melkor » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:45 am

Alright, but there are an awful lot of muds on those websites that are in alpha phase. At the least, an update to the listing would be good.

Also, bringing in some more players early on is a good thing. If there aren't enough players (like it seems to be now) then the ones who are here playing get bored and stop playing. The best way to make the game fun at this point is by having as many players as possible so roles are filled and everything moves along more smoothly. Things aren't being tested when there aren't enough players to form up a group and go test them.
“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nimrod » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:18 pm

I've not given this a lot of thought since we started, it's always been a 'I'll do it tomorrow' kind of thing while concentrating more on building and such. I've talked to several people since your original post above and may be modifying my stance to update and advertise as soon as we reach Beta, which may be in as little as two months.

I'll keep you all updated on my decision.

Thanks for the input.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Patty » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:16 pm

Is it time for this?
<****** / ^^^^^^ / ||||||>
The head is there.
Patty
Honored Dwarf

Postby radioactivejesus » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:37 pm

yea, if staff are taking a minimal RPTs, plot is player-led stance, then we need to maintain a decent sized playerbase or the game will just stagnate and die. Having a good rank on TMS and TMC should help with that problem
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Icarus » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:44 pm

*PERSONAL OPINION*

Agreed.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Songweaver » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:32 pm

Icarus wrote:*PERSONAL OPINION*

Agreed.

Agreed.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Patty » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:22 pm

oh, for the record, my vote is ohhhh yeah.
<****** / ^^^^^^ / ||||||>
The head is there.
Patty
Honored Dwarf

Postby Melkor » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:24 am

Think it's about time for this. The newness (and strangeness) of playable wargs has worn off.

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby Melkor » Tue May 12, 2015 9:39 am

Not sure what the delay about this is. We have a playable game. It's not perfect yet and there are a lot of things that are going to be added, but player numbers are dropping even lower. Peak times have been consistently lower than 10 players. Stagnation and death approaching.

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby Songweaver » Tue May 12, 2015 10:34 am

For what it's worth, part of my hope in launching Optional Realities was to create a place for cross-promotion to the larger RPI player community. Right now, SOI is the least active of all of the RPIs on Optional Realities. Players discussing it in its sub-forum, and promoting it there could draw the demographic that SOI needs. So far, it's the only RPI without any of its players promoting it.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Mavinero » Tue May 12, 2015 10:39 am

Songweaver wrote:For what it's worth, part of my hope in launching Optional Realities was to create a place for cross-promotion to the larger RPI player community. Right now, SOI is the least active of all of the RPIs on Optional Realities. Players discussing it in its sub-forum, and promoting it there could draw the demographic that SOI needs. So far, it's the only RPI without any of its players promoting it.

Well, that's been staff's call up to this point. However, I would tend to agree with you on the fact that the policy should change soon I think.
A small, shell-grey-eyed male begins to flicker and flash, turning to a red color as such happens. Without warning, a slim, silver-hilted lightsaber hilt ignites with a ruby-hued length. "Incorrect. I am programmed for queries, not pleasure."
Mavinero
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Brian » Tue May 12, 2015 12:21 pm

Mavinero wrote:
Songweaver wrote:For what it's worth, part of my hope in launching Optional Realities was to create a place for cross-promotion to the larger RPI player community. Right now, SOI is the least active of all of the RPIs on Optional Realities. Players discussing it in its sub-forum, and promoting it there could draw the demographic that SOI needs. So far, it's the only RPI without any of its players promoting it.

Well, that's been staff's call up to this point. However, I would tend to agree with you on the fact that the policy should change soon I think.

What has been staff's call? There hasn't been any staffing word on whether or not to post anything in that forum that I've seen. Yes, it's been staff's call about not being on TMS and TMC but we can post wherever we like, including the Optional Realities forum.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Songweaver » Tue May 12, 2015 1:22 pm

I don't think they've stated a policy towards OR, but Nimrod has introduced himself on the forum, and Icarus has submitted a design article for our blog that I'll publish in the next week or two. The sub-forum for SOI's just been largely quiet in terms of promotion and discussion, particularly in comparison to the other RPIs.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Nimrod » Thu May 14, 2015 8:51 am

The Official Staff Policy when it comes to other sites is that any staff member is free to participate as they see fit. If a person uses their SoI Staff Name, we only ask that they remember to be professional and abstain from trolling, rudeness and speaking for our game or disclosing protected data.

As for players, I don't see how we have any say in what a player can and cannot do on other sites. It's your own decision.

As for Optional Realities, we embrace the overall goal and wish them nothing but the best and hope we can move in to the future with the common goal of making RPI's more popular.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Melkor » Thu May 14, 2015 9:48 am

Great. But there's already a thread for discussing Optional Realities. That isn't what this thread is for.

Extremely low player counts, peak times of 10 or less, off-peaks of a handful, scheduled RPTs that no one shows up for, group patrols not taking place in weeks, constant decrying on the forums that there's nothing to do. It's time to do some advertising and get some new players in here.

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby radioactivejesus » Thu May 14, 2015 11:47 am

Melkor wrote:Great. But there's already a thread for discussing Optional Realities. That isn't what this thread is for.

Extremely low player counts, peak times of 10 or less, off-peaks of a handful, scheduled RPTs that no one shows up for, group patrols not taking place in weeks, constant decrying on the forums that there's nothing to do. It's time to do some advertising and get some new players in here.

group patrols happen all the time. Scheduled RPTs usually get a decent showing of at least 5 - 8 people, and when they know there's going to be staff support or a major staff run event, even more people make it online (because Icarus is awesome). I agree wholeheartedly with the constant decrying on the forums and the need to advertise so we can expand our playerbase, but things aren't as gloomy as a lot of people make it out to be.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Melkor » Fri May 15, 2015 9:23 am

radioactivejesus wrote:group patrols happen all the time.

No, they don't. There hasn't been a group patrol Utterby side in weeks aside from one or two people going out for hunting and/or to get slaughtered.

radioactivejesus wrote:Scheduled RPTs usually get a decent showing of at least 5 - 8 people, and when they know there's going to be staff support or a major staff run event, even more people make it online (because Icarus is awesome).

Icarus is awesome, but I've posted in-game about RPTs two weeks in a row that no one showed up for. There's a forum post too. Before I started doing these weekly rpts, I also tried several other one-off things and no one showed up for those either. Or just one person and it ended up being canceled. Combatant-wise, the Utterby side is dead, literally and figuratively.

radioactivejesus wrote:I agree wholeheartedly with the constant decrying on the forums and the need to advertise so we can expand our playerbase, but things aren't as gloomy as a lot of people make it out to be.

Well, at least we can agree on something. I find it odd that you claim to know so much about what goes on in Utterby despite you obviously being on the orc side.

I just don't think the way the game is set up is going to work (two opposing spheres so close to each other). Once Laketown is opened up it might be fine because according to the map, the two spheres will be quite a distance apart from each other. But if the game dies before we get there, it isn't going to help us much. Bringing new players in now is essential for the game to last that long.

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby Gobbo » Fri May 15, 2015 9:34 am

Utterby side there isn't patrols anymore, not since their combatant based was culled..

On the next point, I did attend at least one of these 'rpts'. True no one attended, but generally they consisted of taking oaths and signing contracts for guard folk, THEN if there is people go do something bland.

This is not how to make a good reputation for running RPTs. Before utterby lost its combatants I would litterally just stand in the square every dawn and have 7-8 players follow me to the bog just for the hell of it. But that doesn't happen anymore.

It didn't start that way though, first I had to get 2-3 players who trusted me enough to follow and wanted to RP with me. Once I had reached a threshold of players, many more wanted to be included. This happened often in Atonement and parallel. Most patrols were dead in the water UNLESS you could get 4 people to stand outside bjorks so people saw your patrol was legit. I generally got mad at people who would say 'yeah I'm coming' then walk off to go get food and water. Because when they weren't there showing themselves as warm bodies for the patrol, people thought it wasn't happening.

SO yeah on topic, we should've been voting loooong ago, this mud only survives if it makes it through beta, and if it runs out of players it never gets to open. Staff dont want to administrate an empty mud.
Gobbo
Honored Dwarf

Postby radioactivejesus » Fri May 15, 2015 11:29 am

Melkor wrote:Well, at least we can agree on something. I find it odd that you claim to know so much about what goes on in Utterby despite you obviously being on the orc side.

We're in the general discussion thread and talking about the general state of the game, not Utterby in specific. Like Gobbo mentioned though, Utterby has also proved to be capable of putting togethor good sized groups when they have the motivation and leadership, and thanks to the tracking system it is possible to get some ideas of just how proactive the opposing sphere is. From what I could tell, Gobbo(or whoever was leading all those outings) did a pretty stellar job of making shit happen. Orc-sphere has had multiple occassions where they lost over half a dozen characters, including high ranking leadership, in a single battle. It is possible to bounce back from it.

edit: Sorry, I'm driving this conversation really off topic. The main issue in this thread is pretty important. We need to enable SOI voting and do some advertisement to bring in new players. So long as SOI can maintain an active playerbase, we are good to go. Majority of the playerbase agrees with enabling voting too.
look sword
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Melkor » Fri May 15, 2015 11:52 am

Well, the first RPT went fine because that was before everyone got killed in that PVP thing and we had staff support. The last couple weeks, we didn't and no one showed up.

I'm well aware of how to get things rolling, my point is that doesn't matter much if there aren't enough players to do anything. Hence, advertisement.

Gobbo wrote:On the next point, I did attend at least one of these 'rpts'. True no one attended, but generally they consisted of taking oaths and signing contracts for guard folk, THEN if there is people go do something bland.

We roleplay our characters here, that means not everything is going to be track down the opposing sphere or chase after warg packs. Soldier roleplay is definitely something we need more of, not less.

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login