Not worth the effort.
24%
Don't care either way.
4%

Total votes : 25

New Command: Remember

Postby cfelch » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:36 pm

usage: remember <person> <nickname>

Remember is not a skill but rather a command that allows you to change what you see when a given person performs an action, or is referenced by someone else.
This is purely a convenience command to help the player and no one but staff will see your nicknames. You can still access the sdesc by looking at the person directly.

Be nice if each use would append to a special journal entry.
For reviewing the sdesc of people who aren't around currently/anymore.
Last edited by cfelch on Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every point ever made was an argument.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Re: New Command: Remember

Postby Hawkwind » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:43 pm

If you must remove somebody's short description, do it client side.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Melkor » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:26 am

Imo, I'd rather not see this, and like Hawkwind says, most clients will allow you to set triggers to replace any set of text with whatever you want. I've never used it though, so I'm not familiar with how it works.
“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby cfelch » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:26 am

It is possible, and I do do it client side, but its not as pretty as I would like.

And seeing as its purely OOC and only there to help the player, I don't see how it would in any way detract from RP.

Besides, staff might get a kick out of seeing who gets what unusual nicknames.
Would be a way for staff to reference them for use by NPCs as well.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby deerskin » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:25 pm

There are MUDs out there that have 'Remember' options and you can either choose to use it as a player or choose not to. I don't think its fair to make a totality of it either way. For those who want and those who don't. Options are amazing. Considering what I have to keep track of between multiple games, my personal life, my job, whatever - having a tiny option that helps me would be ungodly helpful. Why? Because my PC shouldn't have ten thousand things running around her brain that makes her forget a name from a week ago or a month ago considering there are not -that- many people to keep track of in Utterby. It is not in her character or my IC plan that she have some bizarre brain fart like that. Its wholly -my- bad, not her's. Some of you guys totally take notes and have a spreadsheet. Awesome. I deal with spreadsheets at work so I'd rather set them on fire than keep track of one at home to be able to play a game. Give me a tiny lazy-factor tool any day.

Post Script - I would totally use my client for this but I have no idea how to. Derp.
deerskin
Forum Hobbit

Postby Onasaki » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:48 pm

I'm beginning to dislike how many people diss an idea, for the sake of dissing it. It's stupid. It's pointless. They don't even think.

"Oh this idea is dumb, I don't want to see it."

If the idea isn't completely changing an entire system, who the hell are you to judge what should and shouldn't be put in?

Remember is a basic command that keeps tracked of who is what shortdesc. It's a fun option, it's a good option, it can be a hilarious option if you're silly about how you remember people.

It gives those short-descs an identity. A name. Something to know them by without having to remember, or keep track of it with paper, or in the journal command (Though the Journal Command is a good way of keeping track, but to each their own)

It's an option. It's not saying "YOU. YES YOU. USE THIS COMMAND BECAUSE IT'S HERE." It's saying, "Hey, dude-bro, this command's here if you want to use it." Not to mention, it would be a HUGE boon to our blind players.

FFS stop with the dissing simple things like this.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby cfelch » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:17 pm

for those of you using CMUD, here is a template of the code I use

Code: Select all
#TRIGGER {(sdesc)} {#SUB {<color dodgerblue>%1</color> (Nickname)}}

Change dodgerblue to deeppink for female characters.

You will want to go into the settings editor and make sure the 'repeat within line' option is checked for each of these you make.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby Melkor » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:08 pm

I'm not "dissing the idea for the sake of dissing it". Coders are busy, there are more important things to do. This is already something you can do yourself client side.
“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby Onasaki » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:17 pm

That's not the point. I don't care how long it takes to code, I think people need to not diss something so effing simple, because it's possible to do it client-side.

There is a large margin of MUDs that have remember, vs the ones that don't. It's a very common choice among admins to add in. If you don't like it, don't use it.

It's that simple. Telling someone who may or may not have access to that sort of function in their client, to set it up client side is just rude.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby cfelch » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:17 pm

It more or less takes a coder to do it client side as well.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby LadyMizra » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:04 pm

Yeah most of us don't know how to do it clientside. Not like it needs to get done right away, if the staff chooses to do it, but I think it would be easier for everyone to just have the command. Can't be too difficult since most muds have it.
LadyMizra
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Justanothacivy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:32 am

And this is why everyone should play an orc.

"Who's that? Seen him before but don't remember his name."

"Hey snaga! Get off your backside and pour me some swill!"

See? It's so easy. If you forget who someone is just call them a snaga.
Or
... must not be very very important since ah didn't remember your name snaga. :mrgreen:

I forget peoples names IRL all the time. If you don't remember act out the scene! They usually get pretty funny.
Things that made me smile:
Icarus wrote:I'm going to kill the next character I see doing stuff like that. I'm not joking.
Justanothacivy
Honored Dwarf

Postby cfelch » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:25 pm

That is breaking the IC/OOC line though.
Just because you the player forget, doesn't mean your character would have.
Sure, it can make an entertaining scene now and then.
But the issue is that text strings just don't trigger the facial recognition software in our heads.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby twitchyweasel » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:24 pm

The worst is when you mix up two PCs with similar sdecs and their actual descriptions are not even remotely similar.
twitchyweasel
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Hawkwind » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:19 pm

twitchyweasel wrote:The worst is when you mix up two PCs with similar sdecs and their actual descriptions are not even remotely similar.

Can happen irl, its hilarious.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Nimrod » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:42 pm

Become a staff member and you can always see character names. I don't have any plans on adding the remember command. This has been discussed many times before in old soi and it was always shot down for various reasons.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby cfelch » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:28 pm

Well staff is omniscient, they should know names for GM duties.
Could you at least let us know the reasons it was shot down?

I would love to try and make them non-issues.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby Bones » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:31 am

Staff Transparency is probably not required here... There are a lot of things they have shot down.

My advice? A lot of we players did this in the past. Journal up a list of contacts you've made in game. Sdescs/aliases for them. easy enough.
Nimrod banned me for 7 days.
Bones
Elf Recruit

Postby EltanimRas » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:33 pm

There are a few minor pros and cons either way, but I suspect the real reason we don't have this is just to preserve the traditional RPI 'feel' of the game.

A fantasy novel might be just as good without the cover art, but following the conventions of a genre still helps attract an audience interested in that genre.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Rivean » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:44 pm

Bones wrote:My advice? A lot of we players did this in the past. Journal up a list of contacts you've made in game. Sdescs/aliases for them. easy enough.

That's an adequate work around. I could offer up a copy/paste zmud/cmud script for anyone that wants to be able to have something niftier client side. Cfelch is already doing that. Providing a workaround ("Use journal. Take notes. Use Cfelch's script.") is not an adequate or appropriate response to "Why don't we implement this feature?"

EltanimRas wrote:There are a few minor pros and cons either way, but I suspect the real reason we don't have this is just to preserve the traditional RPI 'feel' of the game.

While I suspect this may be the primary reason behind staff reluctance on this - another may be 'I've got better things to do with my coding resources' - but I don't think it's a particularly good reason.

Anyone who feels that this interface feature doesn't suit their playstyle/preferences can choose not to make use of it. Like ANSI color.

Personally, I don't see any good reason why, given sufficient resources, something that gives the game a more accessible interface should not be implemented. We may not have the time and resources to do it right this instant - but that does not mean that the idea itself is flawed.
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Melkor » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:37 pm

For each character I play, I make a notepad file "Characters So-and-so Knows" then I put in their sdescs and names and sometimes add notes. While playing, I pull up the notepad file and make judgements on what the character remembers.

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby Holmes » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:44 pm

There are two primary reasons, in my unprivileged opinion, this won't ever be implemented:

1) The people it annoys are far more greatly annoyed by it than the lives of those who like it are improved by it.

2) The game only has one active developer-contributor, who is Nimrod. His time is far more valuable being spent on other things.

If you see #2 as a trivial thing, a version of the codebase that is not too far-removed from the one used on SoI is available here: https://github.com/Sebguer/openrpi

Implement it, and restart the conversation. :)
Holmes
Elf Recruit

Postby cfelch » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:46 pm

I tacked a poll onto this, just to get a better feel on people's opinions now that it has been discussed at length.

I don't expect it to change anyone's mind, but I am curious for my own sake.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby Eugene » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:45 pm

Just keep a Notepad file.
Eugene
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Melkor » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:13 am

Melkor wrote:For each character I play, I make a notepad file "Characters So-and-so Knows" then I put in their sdescs and names and sometimes add notes. While playing, I pull up the notepad file and make judgements on what the character remembers.

Eugene wrote:Just keep a Notepad file.

This is what to do. Back in the old days, I just used pen and paper. I know, I can hear the gasps now.

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Next

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login