It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:07 am
Change font size

General Discussion

What types of characters are needed?

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

What types of characters are needed?

Postby Agathodaimon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:40 pm

Hello, I am new to SOI and I have some interesting ideas for both combatants and non-combatants, however I would like to build an INTERESTING character that is good statistically, but more importantly something that I could invest into slowly over the long term to add something valuable. Two types of characters that appeal to me would be a priest/monk who could add to the spiritual life of his community or possibly a master crafter. I am not sure how I would play the priest type character. Perhaps as a healer of some sort who helps the community as best he can and dispenses wisdom with kindness. Is there religion in this region? Who do the people worship? Iluvitar? For the second concept I am curious what people would recommend in terms of attribute allocation. Are smiths very common? Are they needed? Is there a shortage of any particular profession in the land? What would you recommend for someone who wants to be of service to good? Thank you.
Agathodaimon

Re: What types of characters are needed?

Postby cfelch » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:27 pm

Welcome to the game!
The only thing that might be worshiped is the Valor (sp?) or maybe Smaug himself.
I don't think I heard much of religion in middle earth before, so I'm not sure how accurate to the genre a 'priest' would be.
But I'm not the biggest Tolkien buff either.
As for smiths... the game seems flooded with them atm, for good or ill.
In general i think we are overstocked with non-combatants on the 'good' side.
There are a lot of corpses going to waste, so a proper butcher/leatherworker might be needed.
Every point ever made was an argument.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby ThinkTwice » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:37 pm

From what I've seen, a good butcher/leatherworker could make a killing right now.

In addition to that, the good side seems perpetually short on just pure combat characters.
ThinkTwice
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hawkwind » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:39 pm

Whatever you would enjoy more. Though steer clear of religion, switching it out for stories with a moral has long been the preferred way of dealing with any sort of religion. It has never been a large part (or even a significant part) of the game.

The orc side however, by all means you can create your own religion, mythology and beliefs that -has- been a proud and long standing orcish tradition!

Also, welcome.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Onasaki » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:19 am

We're in dire need of a new shaman orc-side, however, I would suggest doing some poking around first, before deciding on creating a religion.

There's currently an on-going plot with spirits, and the like, that has been touched on various times by the admins.

A master craftsman, however, is a thing that comes through time, and practice. You don't commence with the ability to make shiny weapons of doom. That comes from MONTHS of constant crafting, and requires a heavy need for a certain kind of crafter for you to gain any reputation over it.

My best suggestion would be, make a basic character, with a decent history, and some specific goals. (To become a master craftsman can be one of these), and just play. See where you go with it.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login