It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:45 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Beginner Questions

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Beginner Questions

Postby Valentine » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:55 pm

I'm a beginner here and certain things are very confusing to me. Sorry if theres already a thread explaining this stuff, I couldnt find one. First off why are just about all the doors closed and locked? And why can't I leave the town? I know it has something to do with clanning but first of all what is this and second of all why is this the case? What does clanning do that's so important? Wouldnt it be easier if people could just do what they wanted? A map of the town would also be nice (atleast i haven't found one).
Valentine
Verified Member

Re: Beginner Questions

Postby Brian » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:00 pm

Hi Valentine and welcome!

Alright, so I'll kind of go point by point on your questions.

There are so many closed and locked doors because they are areas where one usually wouldn't legitimately be allowed to go. For instance, I'm generally not allowed to go into the stockroom of whatever store I'm in, or into the kitchen of a hotel. These are the kinds of areas that are behind these doors for the most part. The other reason they're locked is because sometimes players will bend the limits of what could reasonably go on and take everything that isn't nailed down if they do get into an area they shouldn't be.

You can just leave the town, I think you just don't know the right command. Most gates have a gatekeeper. The command to get the gatekeeper to open a gate is "nod (gatekeeper) <dir>" where (gatekeeper) is one of the keyword of the guard, and <dir> is whatever direction the gate is in. So, if you have a lanky man guarding the northern gate you would put in "nod lanky north" and that would open the gate. The addendum to this is that going outside of the town alone is often a good way to get killed very quickly. Given that you don't know the commands to leave the town I'm guessing you're very new and probably haven't had a chance to see the wilderness or know much about how to operate in a combat scenario. I highly recommend you at least go out with someone who has experience and try and learn from them. If you insist on going alone make sure you know how to use the flee command :p.

Clanning is one of the things that gets you into restricted areas. For instance, if you are part of the Merchant Guard and have the right clanning you can get into their locked off areas. The syntax for getting back into a closed door/gate is to "knock gate <dir>". This is also how you get back into the town gates if you go out.

The town is pretty small and though it might seem confusing at first you'll learn your way around quickly.

Best of luck and let us know if you have any more questions. We quite like helping and encouraging new players!
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby cfelch » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:15 pm

Here is a basic Map of Uttersby as it stands so far.
Attachments
Utterby.png
Map of Utterby
Utterby.png (18.84 KiB) Viewed 796 times
Every point ever made was an argument.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby Onasaki » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:15 am

Excellent. The orcish invasion will commence thusly...

Wait, what?
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby Valentine » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:03 am

Oh i see that would make sense. Thank you guys so much for the help and map! and will do Brian, thanks for the help.
Valentine
Verified Member

Postby Valentine » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:05 am

Do you guys have any tips on what I should be doing to actually get more acquainted with the game? What should I start off with doing?
Valentine
Verified Member

Postby Brian » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:24 am

The help files can be a good way for a newer player to get the hang of some of the essential commands. The best resource to start with is "help newbie" which will outline many suggested helpfiles to look up and names them all so you just go through the list, so "help movement", "help emote" and so on. This will give you a much better grasp of the syntax needed to interact with the game world and other players.

The next best suggestion I have for a new player is to get involved with one of the main clans. It sounds like you're in the human town of Utterby, so the three main clans there are the Merchant Guard, the Lodge, and the Hunter's Hall.

The Merchant Guard is a combat focused clan; they go out into the wilderness, fight dangerous animals, potentially fight dangerous orcs, etc. I believe their role is also to protect Lodge members if they have to go outside of the walls to gather materials for their work.

The Lodge is a clan for craftsman. They're the ones who make clothing, weapons, armor, wooden objects, tools, etc. I believe they also include lumberjacks who would bring in timber from outside of the walls. Many craftspeople don't usually go outside of town due to danger and that they don't often have any skill in combat, but a lumberjack and the like would, though in company of the Merchant Guard would be the safest idea.

The Hunter's Hall (might not be the right name) is a group of huntsman and foragers who bring in game and other materials from outside the town. They usually are more skilled at hiding and sneaking around so that they don't have to face dangerous wildlife head one. Some of them may prefer the more direct approach though and tango with boars or wolves. They're usually skilled with a ranged weapon, and at tracking and flushing game with the hunting skill and associated crafts.

My other suggestion is to get involved with any players you might see around. In this setting there are many people who are new to the town and would likely have no idea what's going on, where to go, or who to look for, so it's definitely ok for your character to be in that boat! It's a good way to get the lay of the land and find what you're looking for from other players, and it gets you using the commands and more involved in the game. At the end of the day, 90% of this game is interacting with other players, so you'll want to get into that.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Valentine » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:51 am

Alright will do, thanks!
Valentine
Verified Member

Postby Nimrod » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:32 pm

Welcome Valentine. Kudos to those of you that offered assistance. I like it.

:)
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Frigga » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:38 pm

One major employment place not mentioned is also the Ironwood Inn if you happen to be a crafter who likes to brew, cook, bake, or butcher.
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login