25%
No - I do not like the concept
69%
Undecided
5%

Total votes : 55

Re: Carry Over

Postby ThinkTwice » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:32 pm

I approve of SW's idea. It's like roleplaying and playing through plots should be the focus of the story. :D
ThinkTwice
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nimrod » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:31 am

tehkory wrote:Isn't this a, uh. Total redesign of the system we've got going? Given that skill-levels are also visible in crafts, and given that you branch crafts at certain levels, and also given that you gain certain abilities tied to skills at certain levels(bash/feint and ward at talented in their respective skills)? Ignore/focus, of course, come to mind, and I'm sure there's more things I can't think of off the top of my head.

I'd say I'd mind skill visibility being gone, but I only just got back, so I won't put that forth as an argument. But certainly turning skill visibility off isn't as simple as it's put forth, and much more like a complete redesign of the system(unless you feel like leaving in those handful of obvious holes).

Apologies, Tehkory. My reply of 'I can do that' was meant more as a jest than saying I was considering it.

We're not making any major changes like this.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Melkor » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:19 am

I do not see how the current system has anything wrong with it. You play a character for a while, you accrue some rpp. Your character dies and the next time you make a character you can app in with a role and receive boosts to your skills.

While it can certainly be argued that carry over, as presented in this thread, and RPP roles accomplish the same thing skill wise, the difference is a fundamental tenant of a permadeath mud. An RPP role is not carrying skill points over from a previous character. Your character is brand new and the skills are raised up from the levels they are rolled at by the mud during chargen. Carry over would be pulling points directly from your previous character and this is a line that should probably not be crossed, in my opinion.

But again, what is broken about the RPP role system where we would need this anyway?
“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby cfelch » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:56 am

Melkor wrote:But again, what is broken about the RPP role system where we would need this anyway?

Not so much as that is is broken, they are just trying to get away from any claims of favoratism by granting a skill boost to the new characters of all long-term players, in theory.
Every point ever made was an argument.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby Real » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:08 am

I think the biggest issue of favoritism is the characters who enter the game with incredibly good gear, like gquality or superior, that no one can craft and makes them automatically better than the rest despite skills.
Everything gets smaller now the further that I go
Towards the mouth and the reunion of the known and the unknown
Consider yourself lucky if you think of it as home
You can move mountains with your misery if you don't
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby Melkor » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:22 am

I agree. Roles should be standardized. Special apps are fine, but you shouldn't expect special gear to go with them.
“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hawkwind » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:37 am

Standardization is a good thing. But if skills (outside of roles) start out much higher ultimately it will be the new players, our life blood, that will suffer in the long run.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby LadyMizra » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:15 am

I'm undecided, really, but I do like how everyone is, in a sense, equal when they start out. We have rpp roles, so some people -can- start a new char out thats powerful.
LadyMizra
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Real » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:19 am

The problem with that is, the kind of powerful they start out as is not the kind that can be achieved by any other player, through crafting or RPTs or anything, you don't just find troves of elf/ranger gear hidden away. We found a single knife once and some ingots. The former promptly stolen by the other sphere, the latter yet unused.

So if others can't, by any means, reach the same point as someone does hot off the press from chargen, something's inherently wrong, imho.
Everything gets smaller now the further that I go
Towards the mouth and the reunion of the known and the unknown
Consider yourself lucky if you think of it as home
You can move mountains with your misery if you don't
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby Mavinero » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:15 pm

Real wrote:The problem with that is, the kind of powerful they start out as is not the kind that can be achieved by any other player, through crafting or RPTs or anything, you don't just find troves of elf/ranger gear hidden away. We found a single knife once and some ingots. The former promptly stolen by the other sphere, the latter yet unused.

So if others can't, by any means, reach the same point as someone does hot off the press from chargen, something's inherently wrong, imho.

Perhaps the same kind of equipment cannot be attained by any other means, but that is not to ever say that the players cannot acquire or obtain their own special things via the ig process of rp and accomplishment. As for the knife itself, it wasn't stolen, so much as looted (as much as I hate to admit it, boo orcs) in fair, and well-roleplayed combat. The ingots, much of it has been used.

Roles are special, and some call for special things to take place, be that equipment, super-pretty eyes, or even things that many might consider an unfair advantage in one way or another. These things are typically bestowed upon people who write up wonderful roles and backgrounds, and that have proven themselves to be truly someone the staff can depend upon for in game support. This is just my two cents worth though, take it for what you will.
A small, shell-grey-eyed male begins to flicker and flash, turning to a red color as such happens. Without warning, a slim, silver-hilted lightsaber hilt ignites with a ruby-hued length. "Incorrect. I am programmed for queries, not pleasure."
Mavinero
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Songweaver » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:25 pm

The knife wasn't great. Just pretty.

The ingots were worse. They weren't capable of making high quality gear.

Weapons and armor (but really, specifically and especially, armor) shouldn't exist in the game if that same quality gear can't be crafted. The reason is simple: the way that damage and AC climbs, incrementally with quality, demands that weapons and armor and mobs' stats grow at an even pace. Otherwise, combat balance is absolutely unattainable.

This is coming from the person who designed the stats and growth charts for all armor, weapons and mobs in this game.

I'm not opposed to special roles getting unique gear that befits their character. I think it adds flavor, and absolutely support it.

I am opposed to special roles getting unique gear of a quality that cannot be crafted, because I know the numbers, and I know how it throws off the fairness and balance of the combat system.

I do support the very rare, unique, magical weapon/item (never armor) introduced via plot. I think that such things are the stuff of legend, and Tolkien's all about stuffs of legend. But, it should be rare, and its statistics and effects should be carefully considered and balanced to ensure that nothing's moving too far away from the imaginary middle of balance. In short, its quality should be craftable, and whatever unique attributes it has shouldn't be game-breaking.

Also, cursed weapons/items are cool, too, in the same way.

---

As far as there being skill level boosts for RPP roles: I don't see any problem with this. It will always be standardized, and it will never make a new character more powerful than other characters can grow to be. You want your veteran players to be capable of rolling a character that can handle themself, in combat or crafting, and then to lead new players/weaker characters by example by putting their experience to a positive use. That's a good thing.

Edited: Many players do not want to have to grind up skills from the 0RPP level every time that they start a character. It's immensely time-consuming and is soul-sucking in regards to roleplay and plot proactivity.

The less grinding, the better.
Last edited by Songweaver on Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby deerskin » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:19 pm

Please avoid using totalities such as 'no one this' and 'no one that'. These are opinions, not fact on every player's point of view. So let us be fair to the players out there who like to start at the bottom and grow each and every character as they play, whether they choose to grind or choose not to.
deerskin
Forum Hobbit

Postby Songweaver » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:22 pm

Fair enough. Previous post's note on grinding slightly edited.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby soiacc » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:26 pm

Dunno about carrying over skill points, but I'd like to get a look at all the invisible skills I've picked up randomly and dump the ones I don't want, maybe have a reset and redistribute the points to where I think they'd more realistically be.

Also, for me, grinding or raising skills is my least favorite thing. I like the actual crafting part. I also don't like that some crafts don't improve your skills. Especially, when in the course of your ig job, you are required to do a certain task many times and get nothing back from it, so much that it hinders you doing other less needed crafts in order to raise your skills to where they would realistically be for your character's development, so that you end up with a lower skill level than someone else who has all day to grind up their skill.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login