It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:39 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Pfile Notes

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Is it a good idea to allow you to see the notes staff place on your characters?

Yes
73%
No
18%
No Opinion
9%

Total votes : 45

Pfile Notes

Postby Nimrod » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:27 pm

In the past, some have complained about these pfile notes kept by staff. They've been a mysterious list of things and some feel they are forever held back because of a single mistake in the past.

Personally, I have no problem with you being able to read what I write in these notes. I own every single thing that I write there and would be happy to share it with you if you think it makes a difference.

So, dear player, what are your thoughts? Would you like to read about the time you did something wrong, or the time you had some awesome play and it was noted by staff?

This poll is not a promise that this will happen. I'm not convinced at this time that it's needed. I'm asking for your simple opinion, yes, or no. Feel free to comment on what good or bad you think may come from doing something like this.

Thanks,

Nim
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Re: Pfile Notes

Postby Real » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:39 pm

I really like this idea.

If you're ever wondering where you could improve or what's preventing you from accruing that next RPP or what was good and you should keep up, this is the way. I can't see much bad that could come from something like this, ultimately I'd rather know if I'm doing something wrong than live in ignorance of mistakes I'm making.

And if it's good stuff I wouldn't mind that either...;)
Everything gets smaller now the further that I go
Towards the mouth and the reunion of the known and the unknown
Consider yourself lucky if you think of it as home
You can move mountains with your misery if you don't
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby Hawkwind » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:43 pm

I think a lot of us already have had the chance to peek behind the curtain, one of the first things we do is check out our own PC's, our own Pnotes, our own stats and skills. It is an unfair advantage we have been given, to even things out, I believe it only fair that those who have little interest in staffing be afforded the same ability.

Most of them are boring though, crushingly boring. :cry:
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Nimrod » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:56 pm

Hawkwind wrote:Most of them are boring though, crushingly boring. :cry:

True. There are a few that are a little exciting though. :)
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Brian » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:18 am

Hawkwind wrote:
Most of them are boring though, crushingly boring. :cry:

This makes me giggle.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Auroness » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:28 pm

I would say keep them private. That allows staff to deal with players in their own way, without having to be political. If staff want the player to know something about how they role-play, they can tell them.

When I found out what some staff thought of my role play, I was crushed, but I do realize the notes were used to let better players get involved in quests which made the game overall run smoother.
Auroness
Unverified User

Postby Nezerin » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:09 am

I had no idea there were potentiality negative comments following characters our accounts around for a potentiality infinite period of time. Perhaps a timer could be placed on them so that after they have aged past a certain time they can be visible to the player. I can't imagine it being an issue with a relatively young game but assuming that SoI lasts then it would be very discouraging to make a mistake early ok and have it follow you forever.
Nezerin
Forum Hobbit

Postby Bones » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:27 am

The game is not so young, I think.

There should be two sorts of notes I'd say. One for comments on RP, and one on disciplinary/plot that all staff can see. The former should be available for players to see, and the latter should be Staff-only.
Nimrod banned me for 7 days.
Bones
Elf Recruit

Postby Dirgs » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:20 am

Give the player an option to see their pfiles? Yes. But not automated, so that the RPA handling it can edit out parts - some notes might contain sensitive info about plots or other characters. OR, make only pfiles from the previous year visible.

RPI players are generally mature enough to handle a bit of constructive criticism. And our staff members are mature enough not to be biased or rude in pfiles, I'm sure.

Give other players an option to see my pfiles? Nope.
Dirgs
Forum Hobbit

Postby Brian » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:32 pm

Dirgs wrote:Give the player an option to see their pfiles? Yes. But not automated, so that the RPA handling it can edit out parts - some notes might contain sensitive info about plots or other characters. OR, make only pfiles from the previous year visible.

I definitely disagree on this part based on the desire to have it not be automated. Anything that takes valuable time away from the admin team should be carefully considered as that time is extremely valuable. If a system like this does go in I absolutely believe it should be automated as custom tailoring notes for individual requests is a poor use of time in my opinion.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Nimrod » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:42 pm

Dirgs wrote:Give the player an option to see their pfiles? Yes. But not automated, so that the RPA handling it can edit out parts - some notes might contain sensitive info about plots or other characters. OR, make only pfiles from the previous year visible.

RPI players are generally mature enough to handle a bit of constructive criticism. And our staff members are mature enough not to be biased or rude in pfiles, I'm sure.

Give other players an option to see my pfiles? Nope.

We're not talking about seeing other player's pfiles. Just your own.

As for editing out things we don't want players to see, that would not be done. They'd see every single thing we say. Which, really, is kind of the point with this. We want to be transparent with these notes. I certainly am not ashamed of anything that I post to people's pfiles and own every comment I've added.

The idea that we would edit out important bits from a pfile is akin to not even offering the function or even saying to players, hey, you can look at these comments on yourself, but we're still keeping super-secret files on you all. Bleh.

It forces professionalism on our part, which I'm pushing anyway.

And yes, for the most part, our players are a cerebral lot and should be able to accept the bad with the good when it comes to their pfiles.

What I do NOT want to promote is that we are going to consider modifying or even deleting bad pnotes just because a player asks for it to be removed. That's not going to happen. We're not going to set up some sort of review system to allow you to petition to have bad things removed.

My initial thought in talking about this type of system is to show players that we have nothing to hide and to offer a way for them to improve if they wish.

Another thing for folks to realize is that not everyone is an 8rpp player. I certainly am not. It takes a LOT of work to rise over 3RPP, and perhaps seeing a note on your pfile may help you understand what we're thinking when you're passed over for an rpp that you thought you deserved.

It's also a neat way for us to give you kudos or advise rather than through a hobbitmail or send (which breaks your immersion.) Plus it is documented for all time.

Don't get me wrong, it's not my intent to use your pfiles to communicate with players for frivolous matters. This is important stuff. Things that will stay in your file for as long as you play the game.

It's also my intent to post the bad with the good. I won't be holding back any punches when there's something bad to report. If you were caught twinking the palm command, it's going to go in your pfile. If you were rude to me, or used profane language with Frigga, it's going in your pfile. Good things go in your report as well, like when you're awarded an rpp, or you've done an extremely good job with something or shown yourself to be a great leader.

In the end, I think many of you are going to be very underwhelmed by what is in these pfiles. :lol: There's no conspiracy, we don't gang up on people. We're trying to have fun, just like you.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby radioactivejesus » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:55 pm

constructive criticism is a good thing, and it's hard to improve from criticism from staff if you're not actually able to hear it. I'm in favour
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Real » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:00 pm

Nimrod wrote:If you were caught twinking the palm command, it's going to go in your pfile.

Yuh oh.
The gig's up.
I literally can't even. On a scale of one to even I can't. I'm literally literalling so much, right now.
And I'm dead.
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby Holmes » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:05 pm

Staff is always going to need a private place to discuss players. By opening up pfiles, you're just moving those private notes somewhere else and not doing anything from stopping the sorts of players who are conspiracy theory'ing from doing so.
Holmes
Elf Recruit

Postby WorkerDrone » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:59 am

Maybe people should stop conspiracy theorizing then.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby krelm » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:56 am

WorkerDrone wrote:Maybe people should stop conspiracy theorizing then.

Never.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby cfelch » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:38 pm

I would place the caveat that we should only see the 'character' notes when said character dies or gets retired.

Ideally, if staff actually has criticism to offer, they would actually confront the player so that player can address the matter. We can't try to improve what we don't know is an issue.
Every point ever made was an argument.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby Knight26 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:07 pm

I'm not in favour of this. I think staff need a private place to discuss players.
Knight26
Forum Hobbit

Postby ThinkTwice » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:49 pm

They have tons of private places to discuss players. :) Maybe this set gossips less, but there used to be threads about funny stuff players were caught doing, staffer X's argument with player Y, all those things are usually pretty well document on the staff forums. This is about having a public venue for them to explain why we did or did not get RPP, great/terrible scenes, and other such con crit things.
ThinkTwice
Honored Dwarf

Postby Knight26 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:40 pm

If they have other places to discuss the players then will we want to view that too?

It just seems kind of pointless. It's a file to leave notes about the player. If the player has been bad, he should expect something to put on his file. If he does something good, he should expect something good to be on his file.

It's just going to create a wave of disruptive dispute.
Knight26
Forum Hobbit

Postby Real » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:05 pm

I dunno if that's true. I'd like to think that we're a pretty mature crowd and that seeing "you screwed up this time" is not gonna send someone into hysterics, it'll instead reinforce not to do things like that in the future. Communication is key, we don't always know when we're doing something wrong.

The more you know, you know.
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby Hawkwind » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:11 pm

I've switched my vote after having read some of the replies, all this talk about us being a mature and respectful crowd it not as true as folk like to make out. Individually we are, but get a few of us together, share stuff on OOC Networks and we become frothing, raging, angry children that can not deal with constructive criticism.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby WorkerDrone » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:43 pm

So, question. If everyone could see the twinky bullshit you might or might not pull, or the illogical arguments with staff that you probably only considered making when you thought nobody else in the community would be able to see them and thus ridicule you for it, would there be a lower frequency of both instances?

I'm going to tell you the answer to that right now! The answer is no, you'll just have both of those things in the same frequency and public butthurt over the exposure in addition.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby Real » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:48 pm

I think they mean to just let players read their own files, not everyone else's. So...no butthurt necessary, if you can swallow the fact that you did some 'twinky bullshit' at some point or another. I'm just...not seeing how something like this could do more harm than good, really.
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby Brian » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:52 pm

WorkerDrone wrote:
I'm going to tell you the answer to that right now! The answer is no, you'll just have both of those things in the same frequency and public butthurt over the exposure in addition.

See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

Brian
Honored Elf

Next

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login