Change font size

General Discussion

Encumbrance and Hindrance

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Encumbrance and Hindrance

Postby Melkor » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:51 pm

Code: Select all
   It is a rough pair of pitted-bog-iron chausses.

It will cover the upper-legs and lower-legs, and partially cover
the feet.
  This is a flexible pair of mail leggings, composed of a series of
interconnected holey, impure bog iron rings, their casting of blackened metal,
forming a rough-and-tumble piece that covers the entire leg and slipping over
boots, leaving the bottoms bare, and is paired with trousers. Overall, it is
shoddy armor, loose fitting and held together piecemeal. It is clearly the
work of a novice.

You recognise that you could wear this item in the following locations:
  Legs

You would guess that this item weighs about 8 pounds.

You judge that this item would hinder your Sneak skill.
You judge that this item would hinder your Hide skill.
You judge that this item would hinder your Deflect skill.

It is a taupe pair of oiled leather leggings.

It will cover the upper-legs and lower-legs.
  These leggings are taupe in color and constructed of bear hide that is
supple and soft to the touch. They are intended to protect the legs and cover
from waist to ankles with neatly reinforced seams to keep them tight. The
armor itself has been put through the currying process, dressed and finished as
well as oiled, giving it increased tensile strength, flexibility and partially
waterproofing it. Overall, it is shoddy armor, loose fitting and held together
piecemeal. It is clearly the work of a novice.

Legs

You would guess that this item weighs about 3 pounds.

You judge that this item would slightly improve your Sneak skill.
You judge that this item would slightly hinder your Deflect skill.

This is redundant. Heavier armor already makes you more encumbered which then makes you perform less and less in combat the heavier you become. Taking a hit to your deflect skill the heavier your armor is in addition to that is a double whammy. Deflect is easily the most important combat skill. In my mind, I could see heavier armor causing you to take a hit to dodge, but not deflect, in addition to the negatives you already receive for being more encumbered.

At least with encumbrance you can counter it some with having a strong character. The way this is set up, the muscle-bound soldier is taking the exact same hit to deflect as the scrawny, runt soldier is and that isn't realistic.

At the very least, I think the hindrance should be removed from leather armor and the hindrance on heavy armor should be brought down to the level leather is currently at (slightly hinder), but only on the two main pieces, being hauberk and chausses. Gloves and helmets shouldn't cause any hindrance.

Please discuss.
Last edited by Melkor on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Re: Encumbrance and Hindrance

Postby AdamBlue » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:58 pm

You do realize the only reason these are hitting 'deflect' down is because they're shoddily made?
Get some good gear. They'll boost deflect. By quite a bit. And higher quality metals (e.g, iron instead of bog iron) will be lighter and stronger.
AdamBlue
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Melkor » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:03 pm

Then I would also argue that should be removed as well. Better quality gear (harder metal/more supple leather) should not boost nor hinder your deflect skill. That is the bottom line.
“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby Brian » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:05 pm

I don't recall if this is still true, but I remember that there was intention towards making skill matter more in this version of SoI than armor did. In the older version, armor was by far more important and I believe here we wanted the possibility of a master bladesman to be able to defeat an opponent in better armor. I think these penalties and such are to promote that, and I'm all for it!

Of course, I'm also in the camp who thinks it should be impossible to sneak/hide in metal armor period, so know that I'm coming at it from that angle.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Real » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:06 pm

Yeah, it totally should. There's no bottom line.

If it doesn't, the only point of aquality is to determine durability and weight, which is really not that big a deal in most cases. These minor, 2-3 point boosts add up between how high quality all your gear is, and give you a reason to pay the extra to get the best instead of shoddy novice bs.
Everything gets smaller now the further that I go
Towards the mouth and the reunion of the known and the unknown
Consider yourself lucky if you think of it as home
You can move mountains with your misery if you don't
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby Icarus » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:13 pm

Brian wrote:I don't recall if this is still true, but I remember that there was intention towards making skill matter more in this version of SoI than armor did. In the older version, armor was by far more important and I believe here we wanted the possibility of a master bladesman to be able to defeat an opponent in better armor. I think these penalties and such are to promote that, and I'm all for it!

Of course, I'm also in the camp who thinks it should be impossible to sneak/hide in metal armor period, so know that I'm coming at it from that angle.

There are other people who are in agreement with this.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Melkor » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:16 pm

Brian wrote:I don't recall if this is still true, but I remember that there was intention towards making skill matter more in this version of SoI than armor did. In the older version, armor was by far more important and I believe here we wanted the possibility of a master bladesman to be able to defeat an opponent in better armor. I think these penalties and such are to promote that, and I'm all for it!

Then this system is working against that. Better quality gear now matters more than it did before. Your argument is contradictory.

Real wrote:Yeah, it totally should. There's no bottom line.

If it doesn't, the only point of aquality is to determine durability and weight, which is really not that big a deal in most cases. These minor, 2-3 point boosts add up between how high quality all your gear is, and give you a reason to pay the extra to get the best instead of shoddy novice bs.

Wrong. Higher quality gear offers a better ac value thus negating more damage when attacks land. This is the primary point of higher quality gear.

Please read here:
Combat: Armor

Armor is treated differently on Shadows of Isildur than most MUDS.  Instead of making your character more difficult to hit, armor reduces the damage your character takes when hit.  Armor only protects the body location it actually covers.

See Also: Armorcraft Mend

Last Updated: Sun Jul 06 00:08:53 2003, by Traithe

"Instead of making your character more difficult to hit,"

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby AdamBlue » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:31 pm

Harder to hit = / = Easier to deflect blows.

They're not the same thing.
If you're wearing gear that fits and compliments your form -just right- and you feel like it's a second skin, it'll allow you to more easily deflect blows. For example, wearing some amazing gauntlets would allow you to more firmly parry a blow because you wouldn't need to worry about a slide of the blade 'nicking' your fingers. There's a whole complicated thing about how 'knowing where you are protected allows you to defend the unprotected bits', but w/e.
AdamBlue
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Brian » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:31 pm

Good points Melkor; if better quality gear of the same type is giving less malus to your deflect skill that certainly contradicts the quote from the help that you've pulled up. I agree with you that poor quality iron chain probably won't make it any harder to deflect blows than good quality iron chain, unless the arguement is that the poor quality is so poorly put together that it hinders movement.

I don't think that any armor should boost your deflect skill, and if AdamBlue is right and higher quality armor will boost your deflect school then I think that needs to be looked at. However, I can see armors lowering your deflect skill, as they take away from the mobility needed to accurately deflect strikes. I can see a higher quality weapon or shield boosting your deflect skill as well to account for the balance of the piece.

However the example in your first post shows that the iron chain causes your deflect, sneak, and hide to be more adversely effected than the oiled leather armor does. To me this makes perfect sense. They are different types of armor built for a different purpose. I'm not sure how this contradicts my desire for gear to matter less, as it means that a master swordsman who is scouting can wear leather armor and if he comes upon foes in metal armor, because of his lighter weight and ability to use his skill in avoiding or blocking strikes more effectively, he will be at a smaller disadvantage than if those penalties weren't on the armor. The more skilled user is relying on the better freedom of movement and mobility of his armor to protect him, while a less skilled fighter might want heavier armor to absorb more damage.
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Melkor » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:39 pm

Now that I can agree with, Brian. However, what I'm pointing out here is that encumbrance for heavier armors already covers this. Receiving further negatives to a specific skill because of armor quality doesn't make sense, hits you twice and doesn't take into account how strong your character is; encumbrance does.

Further, if this is based on the poorer qualities being so badly made that they restrict movement, they should be hindering almost every skill in the game. I don't think that's the case. A higher quality armor is not going to make you move better because you have it on, it's still heavy.
Last edited by Melkor on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby Real » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:43 pm

While that response was inarguably brusque and cut straight to my soul, quoting a helpfile doesn't count as a blanket statement to discredit my words. It's about the shape/weight/balance of the armor, or weapon, in question, and how it affects your ability to properly defend yourself.

aquality is completely different from
pquality, oquality, gquality, and superior, which affect AC

Material does not affect AC.
Random rolls do not affect AC.
Inherent quality from poor to superior does.
Resistances/weaknesses against damage types affect relative AC.

Deflect is the combat skill. It makes sense to me that investment of time and effort on a crafter's part to heighten their skill should be able to grant a small bonus to the combatant who uses the gear. Investment on one side, reward on the other. Not really seeing what difference it makes, aside if you get shafted and have novice gear, in which case it might seem unfair but infact is not.
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby Icarus » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:49 pm

Keep it civil.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Melkor » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:51 pm

AdamBlue wrote:Harder to hit = / = Easier to deflect blows.

They're not the same thing...

Semantics. If a piece of gear is boosting your deflect skill and making it easier for you to deflect a blow, that is making it harder for you to be hit.

I'm not sure how you are offended by what I said, Real. None of it was said with any malice.

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby Brian » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:52 pm

Melkor wrote:Now that I can agree with, Brian. However, what I'm pointing out here is that encumbrance for heavier armors already covers this. Receiving further negatives to a specific skill because of armor quality doesn't make sense, hits you twice and doesn't take into account how strong your character is; encumbrance does.

Further, if this is based on the poorer qualities being so badly made that they restrict movement, they should be hindering almost every skill in the game. I don't think that's the case. A higher quality armor is not going to make you move better because you have it on, it's still heavy.

I'm missing the relation between encumberance and the double hit that you're talking about. Are you talking about specifically the sneak and hide skills where encumberance will affect whether you can use the skill or not?

If so, then I totally think you should get hit twice; sneaking around in metal armor is a somewhat silly conceit that we have for...I'm not sure what reason. The encumbrance issue can be avoided with the correct character build prioritizing strength, and those that want to sneak around in metal armor know this and build accordingly. There has to be some kind of penalty or you'll have a proliferation of peak strength scouts in chain armor.

As it is already, sneak and hide is very effective so long as you're not trying to sneak into or out of a room that has a PC/NPC in it, to the point where the skill malus doesn't actually matter and is only relevant when trying to sneak into or out of an occupied area.

If you're talking about encumberance effecting other skills, such as deflect, I wasn't aware that it did!
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Melkor » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:55 pm

No, I'm talking about getting hit with the negatives from encumbrance and then getting hit with a hindrance to deflect as well. This has nothing to do with the sneak and hide hindrances, I agree with those.

Encumbrance affects virtually every roll in combat, I believe.

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby tehkory » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:11 pm

AdamBlue wrote:Harder to hit = / = Easier to deflect blows.
/quote]
Higher deflect=harder to hit. Sorry.
Better quality gear now matters more than it did before.

More than Parallel? Nah. More than SoI-That-Was? No. More than Atonement? No. Sorry, that statement's wrong, with of course a lovely exception or two(See: special apps and gear-that-cannot-be-created). Armor's created along standards, and while I can't speak to all of those, that's the difference between now and 'before' in SoI-That-Was. You can go ahead and go across all the armor in game and compare it. EVALUATE it. Use these commands you're using to understand what's going on.

IIRC correctly, 'slightly improves' is 1-4, 'improves' is 5-8, and 'greatly improves' is 9-12. I can be corrected if I'm wrong, or I could go harass people to find out for me. I might do the latter.

eval shield
It is a sturdy triangular shield

Shoulder

You would guess that this item weighs about 5 pounds.

You judge that this item would improve your Deflect skill.

This is a shield back on Parallel/Atonement. It was an average shield, not even the best that could be made. Different games have different standards, and they mean different things. But as long as games have reasonable standards and they stick to them, that's what matters. SoI isn't the mess that SoI was. You know what you're getting into, and you can take it, leave it, or raise a fuss about.

But let's make sure we all know what we're getting into, and not reference 12-year-old helpfiles.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Real » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:27 pm

No offense taken lol. Nor was it anything approaching uncivil, but instead equally brusque, as apparently such is allowed on these forums, unless it's me in particular that's not permitted to engage in real talk, as per my sig.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... id=4765809

Which is to say, if that came off as abrasive, then my meaning went far wide. I'd move that there are people who reason out their responses much less politely and thoroughly, and am finding it hard to discern where this is coming from, at least Icarus's comment.

When you quote something and begin with "Wrong." and then put a bolded thing at the bottom to send the point home, it strikes me as brusque. I don't see malice, no, but I responded in kind. With brusqueness.

<3

---

Anyway, moving on, I do find that mail at the moment makes it hard to get much done in combat. Maybe that's for balance reasons, to keep it in line with oiled leather, but someone who's heavily-hindered via the info prompt takes a huge penalty in combat. At least, that's what I noticed on my last PC.

It seems like there's no reason to choose mail over oiled armor unless it's for style. Is that intentional?
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby Melkor » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:36 pm

tehkory wrote:More than Parallel? Nah. More than SoI-That-Was? No. More than Atonement? No. Sorry, that statement's wrong, with of course a lovely exception or two(See: special apps and gear-that-cannot-be-created). Armor's created along standards, and while I can't speak to all of those, that's the difference between now and 'before' in SoI-That-Was. You can go ahead and go across all the armor in game and compare it. EVALUATE it. Use these commands you're using to understand what's going on.

SOI2 did not have high quality armor pieces that boosted deflect and low quality armor pieces that hindered deflect. This was all in shields and weapons. SOI3 does, that is what I mean by gear seeming to matter more now. On top of it's ac value and damage type resistances (which both iterations have/had), it now has either a boost or a hindrance to deflect. That is mattering more.

tehkory wrote:IIRC correctly, 'slightly improves' is 1-4, 'improves' is 5-8, and 'greatly improves' is 9-12. I can be corrected if I'm wrong, or I could go harass people to find out for me. I might do the latter.

Yes, per piece. Even at the lowest estimation, using four pieces of armor, this can result in a 32 point discrepancy in deflect between two characters who are wearing different qualities of gear. That's before you even take into account their actual skill levels. Totally gamebreaking, imo.

tehkory wrote:eval shield
It is a sturdy triangular shield

Shoulder

You would guess that this item weighs about 5 pounds.

You judge that this item would improve your Deflect skill.

This is a shield back on Parallel/Atonement. It was an average shield, not even the best that could be made. Different games have different standards, and they mean different things. But as long as games have reasonable standards and they stick to them, that's what matters. SoI isn't the mess that SoI was. You know what you're getting into, and you can take it, leave it, or raise a fuss about.

But let's make sure we all know what we're getting into, and not reference 12-year-old helpfiles.

The twelve year old helpfile is still perfectly relevant to how armor works. Otherwise, it needs an update.

But that's enough, I've made my points. If everyone is so determined to hold onto the boosts their armor gives them to deflect, I guess I tried.

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby Brian » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:04 pm

You've convinced me, Melkor; I agree with you that armor, outside weapons and shields, shouldn't be boosting deflect. I do think that it's appropriate for heavy armors to hinder it though!
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Melkor » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:14 pm

I can see that, but that's not what's happening here. Good quality heavy armor actually boosts deflect. Like putting on heavy armor actually makes you move better somehow.

edit: I wouldn't argue too much against a slight hindrance to deflect on heavy armors, be they poor, ordinary, good, superb or whatever else. But I would recommend only putting them on the two heaviest pieces: hauberk and chausses as those hindrances can really add up between all your armor pieces.
Last edited by Melkor on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby Brian » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:17 pm

Melkor wrote:I can see that, but that's not what's happening here. Good quality heavy armor actually boosts deflect. Like putting on heavy armor actually makes you move better somehow.

Yep, I'd say that's a problem if so!
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Melkor » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:19 pm

Real wrote:No offense taken lol....

Um, heh, alright. Well I bolded that part of the quote because the code quote won't allow me to inside of it. That's the part I wanted to stress. I said you were wrong because I think you're wrong. Wasn't trying to mock you or anything. Don't read into things so much.

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby krelm » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:07 pm

Woah there, let's pull the brake a moment.

For starters, you should never fight encumbered, ever. If you're fighting encumbered, you're already too far gone for a few points off of your deflect to matter.

For seconders:
but someone who's heavily-hindered via the info prompt takes a huge penalty in combat.

This prompt solely refers to sneaking ability, not to overall combat aptitude.

For THIRDERS, armor bonuses, or negatives, do not stack. They used to in old SoI, and it was highly abuseable-- you could hold two shields, wear two shields, and have your deflect skill boosted by like thirty points. Kithrater changed that a long time ago. Now, as far as I'm aware, though you'll probably have to ask Grommit to double-check, only the highest positive or negative granted by armor applies.

What does this mean? If you're holding a shield and wearing two pieces of armor that give +deflect, you'll only get the bonuses from the shield and the piece of armor that gives the HIGHEST bonus.

As far as the discussion goes, I have no useful opinion to add, I just thought I'd shed light onto the situation.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Melkor » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:35 pm

Well, that indeed does shed a whole new light on it. I suppose it isn't that big of a deal then. I thought they still stacked.

― René Descartes
Melkor
Honored Dwarf

Postby Grommit » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:33 pm

krelm wrote:Woah there, let's pull the brake a moment.
For THIRDERS, armor bonuses, or negatives, do not stack. They used to in old SoI, and it was highly abuseable-- you could hold two shields, wear two shields, and have your deflect skill boosted by like thirty points. Kithrater changed that a long time ago. Now, as far as I'm aware, though you'll probably have to ask Grommit to double-check, only the highest positive or negative granted by armor applies.

What does this mean? If you're holding a shield and wearing two pieces of armor that give +deflect, you'll only get the bonuses from the shield and the piece of armor that gives the HIGHEST bonus.

As far as the discussion goes, I have no useful opinion to add, I just thought I'd shed light onto the situation.

Almost. Actually it ignores the armor's list of skill buffs/debuffs completely. So the + and - deflect boosts on your armor are meaningless, likely made so for the reason Krelm said, but no one got around to removing them from the gear. However the code ignores them in actual combat, it just happens to still show them on eval. Only your shield's deflect boost is counted.

What you're thinking of for applying a single boost might be the electronic enhancers stuff from ARPI, but we don't have electronics in LRPI/SOI.
Grommit
Game Coder

Next

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login