It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:31 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Code adjustment: displaying languages?

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Code adjustment: displaying languages?

Postby Oblivion » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:13 pm

Wondering, with the multi-language races that we have going on in game, if the speech code could be adjusted to give indication of which language is being spoken.

blah-blah says, in orkish, *emote string* words

blah-blah says, in common, *emote string* words

blah-blah says, in an unfamiliar language, *emote strings* gobbley-gook nonsense letters.

Would help a bit, I feel, on the rp of conversing between races. Also letting those of your fellow race know what you are saying may only be intended for your race so that they respond in the proper language rather than the default 'Common' where everyone can understand.
Oblivion
Dwarf Recruit

Re: Code adjustment: displaying languages?

Postby Icarus » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:15 pm

Added to basecamp.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Onasaki » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:02 am

I also think it should be considered to allow for emote-says to filter languages as well.

speak orkish

emote glances about, "Sha. Dat fethin' Tark done ate mine rats!"

Which would come up as something like, A furry-headed goblin glances about, "Ado. Okt ghehtds Hkas aokd ajd ikjh yokd!"

If you want to get really fancy, you could try and convert that to actually sounding like Black-Speech, or something. *shrug*
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby Oblivion » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:48 pm

Heh, this whole 'speaking through using quotation marks in the middle of an emote' thing is foreign to me... I don't think I've ever used it once since returning.

Though that may be because I 'grew up' on SoI and SoI 2.0, and SoI 2.5 (northlands anyone?), where putting says inside of an emote was bad form because it crossed language barriers.

But I do rather understand it now, since everyone in the game gets 'Common' and you can speak to one another without the time consuming rp of having to actually learn the other race's language.
Oblivion
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Brian » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:43 pm

Oblivion wrote:Heh, this whole 'speaking through using quotation marks in the middle of an emote' thing is foreign to me... I don't think I've ever used it once since returning.

Though that may be because I 'grew up' on SoI and SoI 2.0, and SoI 2.5 (northlands anyone?), where putting says inside of an emote was bad form because it crossed language barriers.

But I do rather understand it now, since everyone in the game gets 'Common' and you can speak to one another without the time consuming rp of having to actually learn the other race's language.

I felt the same with them at first Oblivion, but I've grown to love them. They're really food when you have multiple actions happening with the same phrase, or for creating action and breaks with speech that would happen in sequence.

Which is to say it'd be amazing both to have languages displayed and to be able to use other languages in emote with speech!
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby mongwen » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:12 pm

Might be neat to have something simulated for languages, but I'd also be good with the usual undecipherable words message even in emotes. a tan-skinned orc with prominent jowls gulps down what seems like half a boar at once and snarls something in a language you cannot decipher.
A yellow-eyed, blotchy-fleshed brown uruk slowly slunks over, sneakily swaggering with a sleek step.
mongwen
Honored Dwarf

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login