It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:39 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Sixth sense

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Sixth sense

Postby tehkory » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:05 pm

cfelch wrote:Ahh, my method was about having more or less static value comparisons.
Unless you stay there till one of variables changes in your favor.
For example...
You spam search until your skill goes up and gives you a better base score to work with.
You stay there until night turns to day (or vise versa) and you visual acuity improves.
...or until the target makes a sound or otherwise slips up and actually does reveal themselves.

Oh, sorry, I didn't see your earlier system you proposed. Likely too big of a code-change for too little of a benefit...and it doesn't reflect how the game works in any other areas, either. The game's full of -chance- and -failure-, rather than absolutes. I know a game that does absolutes, and their hide system is just so much more boring and sad, even though it comes with modifiers for how well you see/smell/yadda yadda yadda.

Hide's already overpowered enough, in that beginner hide/sneak grant a form of invincibility that mobs cannot/will not ever attempt to counter, and that you can reliably use as long as you're safe/smart about it. Allowing that invulnerability to be unbreakable would make things even worse. The problem with hide/sneak is that it's already -too- strong. Making it stronger isn't the solution, and it's a complicated one at that. Better to just add a simple timer/delay to the command, one much like treat has.

RE: Tom, Bob, and all their friends.
While that's true, Brian, in the end when I go out I accept that my primary intent is finding other players to play with. If it turns out that I bit off more than I chew...that's a risk I have to take.

On making hide less effective:
It used to be that mobs(back on Parallel/Atonement) would actively track players. They wouldn't search, but they'd follow you, find you, and then be in the room with you. You could sneak away from them, but that carried a risk.

It'd be nice if this came back, plus maybe mobs searching for you, much like they'll auto-regroup/follow each other, every fifteen minutes or so.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Songweaver » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:23 am

Improved mob AI would definitely make for a more interesting wilderness.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Icarus » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:01 am

I believe that's just the predator flag, IIRC. Should make things follow folks.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Real » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:34 am

I remember sneakscavving across the wastes and once a lagato got on your trail, you could expect "an enormous razor-mawed lizard runs in from the south" in whatever room you're hidden in with regularity until you get a closed door between yourself and the mob. And of course, they just mess around until the very moment that you type "sneak w" and then suddenly they're in there and you get observed. It gave the wilderness a threatening feeling and made any solo exploits the height of intensity. If the Mirkwood had a similar feel to it, man, that would be cool as f.

It -was- cool, I have to admit, and if we had wolf packs return to their former big numbers and give alphas the ability to track, having wolf packs hunt PCs actively across the woods would be pretty great.
Everything gets smaller now the further that I go
Towards the mouth and the reunion of the known and the unknown
Consider yourself lucky if you think of it as home
You can move mountains with your misery if you don't
Real
Elf Recruit

Postby Icarus » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:40 am

*makes a task for this*
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Ceredir » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:28 am

As a sidenote, wildlife AI and behavioral scripts are a bit of a pet project of mine. You may've already noticed some tiny changes in how certain animals behave...
I don't always test my code.
But when I do I do it on the player port.
Ceredir
Journeyman Architect

Postby Frigga » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:40 am

We might have to ponder on the NPC numbers returning to what they were in the beginning, that's not a universality desired thing to have 6+ groups of stealth bombing wargs in every room. :lol:
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby tehkory » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:44 am

Frigga wrote:We might have to ponder on the NPC numbers returning to what they were in the beginning, that's not a universality desired thing to have 6+ groups of stealth bombing wars in every room. :lol:

I don't think that the people that go into the 'dangerous' parts of the game would mind it being actually dangerous short of suicidal behavior, while something like this really wouldn't affect the people that aren't going more than 4 rooms from town.

Right now, though, Mirkwood is one of the least dangerous play environments I've come across in my entire time of playing MUDs.

...and this is all super off-topic, but I'm no guide.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Songweaver » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:47 am

I don't think the numbers are the biggest issue.

Right now, I'm positive that a group of four experienced PCs could clear the entire wilderness of mobs in about an hour, with a concerted effort, and little risk. I'm positive that I could clear it by myself in about 2-3 hours of careful play. If multiple bears are wandering around, they'd be about the only bottleneck for small group runs, and only because they have the potential for some devastating upper-range damage.

More strategic and challenging AI can help create a greater, more interesting challenge, than simply throwing more mobs into the mix.

Anyone remember the "Wizard" GTs from Atonement Mars/OMEGA? There's really nothing that you could imagine wanting a mob to be able to do, that the current scripting engine isn't capable of doing with a little bit of work.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Tiamat » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:14 pm

Songweaver wrote:Anyone remember the "Wizard" GTs from Atonement Mars/OMEGA? There's really nothing that you could imagine wanting a mob to be able to do, that the current scripting engine isn't capable of doing with a little bit of work.

Ahaha ... hahaha ... Well, I mean, the scripts themselves took about four hours of work. But yeah, with proper scripting and some effort, mobs can do some fun things. But that requires proggers to know what they're doing, something that the current SOI Staff may not have.
Tiamat
Honored Elf

Postby Matt » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:25 pm

The ones on Atonement didn't work very well. They'd target the same person over and over again until they were dead or retreated. It was like a doom spell when you saw your sdesc pop up in that prog.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Songweaver » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:48 am

Matt wrote:The ones on Atonement didn't work very well. They'd target the same person over and over again until they were dead or retreated. It was like a doom spell when you saw your sdesc pop up in that prog.

We improved upon the Atonement AI toolset post alpha to allow for the randomization we attained by the late game. The alpha AI did tend to attack the same two people in a room again and again, though. That toolset exists for SOI now, too. If there's a staffer really excited about Mob AI, they can teach themselves, and I'm sure feel free to reach out to me if they have any questions. I'm always willing to help give advice on scripting.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login